Tangled hair after shampoo.. Why is that?

I have the same problem. I used to cut giant clumps of hair out all the time. Ugh! What helps me now is the following:

While in the shower --

- Apply conditioner to the ends of your hair. Leave this in.

- Put some shampoo in an empty bottle and fill with water. Shake up until it's full of suds. Pour this over your scalp. If you need to rub it in, only do so on the scalp. Rinse immediately. *** pH balanced Biotin shampoo has been working wonders for me. ***

- Apply conditioner (I'm currently using Long Term Relationship by Herbal Essences... only about 3 bucks... and Pantene Relaxed and Natural, which is also relatively inexpensive). Leave conditioner in for a few minutes.

- Rinse conditioner, while separating hair with your fingers (be gentle!)

- Reapply conditioner if necessary. Or, use a leave-in.

Hope this helps!

I like this one I think im gonna try this instead of braiding.. Thanks

I like this one I think im gonna try this instead of braiding.. Thanks

Hope you have good results. Let me know if it works for you. Sometimes I condition 4 or 5 times in the shower... it sounds ridiculous but it's the only way I get the tangles out. Each time I slowly detangle...

the problem with this is that I go through an entire bottle of conditioner every week.

I just noticed someone mentione braids earlier, reading through the thread. I do it all the time, which is probably why I have so little hair when I finish washing and detangling, on the floor, or in my comb. Also I forgot to add about hard water. If your water is hard, your hair will be too. I've found it doesn't matter what a miracle shampoo I have if I have lived in a hard water area. I bought a shower filter from home depot for $20 online and got it in less than a week. My hair has been so much softer and less every since (I've been using it since around mayish?). Just a couple suggestions.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ilter&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
I got the sprite lime one but there's one by Ge that's around the same price too.

Great thanks.. One of the other ladies mentioned the hard water also.. I use this same shampoo when i go the salon and my hair does not come out hard so it could be a mixture of my washing method and hard water.. So thanks again im going to look into buying the filter and it might even help with my dry skin..

Hope you have good results. Let me know if it works for you. Sometimes I condition 4 or 5 times in the shower... it sounds ridiculous but it's the only way I get the tangles out. Each time I slowly detangle...

the problem with this is that I go through an entire bottle of conditioner every week.

Yea I here ya.. I use VO5 STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM for slip 99 cents so I dont mind going through bottles like water...

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'm pretty sure it was the 1st Lather. The 1st Lather is pretty harsh. As someone else mentioned, you probably shouldn't use it that often b/c all it will do is dry your hair out terribly. Instead, maybe you can use the Moisturizing Shampoo on it's own. I personally think that is suitable enough to cleans the hair without stripping it of all it's natural oils. It's probably going to take a couple of shampoos to get your hair feeling back the way it's supposed to. The next time you wash, just wash with the Moisturizing Poo, and then deep condition with Humecto. Preferrably the one in the tub if you have it. I don't care for the one in the bottle. Use it generously and sit underneath the dryer with it for at least 25-30 minutes. Your hair should start to feel normal again. Good luck hun.

Great thanks.. One of the other ladies mentioned the hard water also.. I use this same shampoo when i go the salon and my hair does not come out hard so it could be a mixture of my washing method and hard water.. So thanks again im going to look into buying the filter and it might even help with my dry skin..
Um....yeah, I was going to mention that too, but we were just talking hair. My skin is super dry, and removing hard water helped SOOOOO much it's ridiculous. The same thing with my hair. The first time I washed with my filter, my hair felt so soft, and the final result after wash dry dc moisture/seal was that my hair felt like buttery soft and smooth, but strong.

I don't know about anyone else but with MOST clarifying shampoos I get tangles ( I think mizani neutralizing/chelating shampoo is a good clarifying shampoo that wont give you this problem).

I think its b/c of the ph of the shampoo which is needed to get a really good deep clean. . . I think the ph raises your cuticles that is how your hair tangles, open cuticles rubbing against each other; hopefully the conditioner should work for you. .

Also, the NTM Leave-In is better as a moisturizer on dry hair than an actual leave-in on wet hair.

ETA: Some suggestion: Giovanni, Salerm 21, Lacio Lacio, HE LTR, Rusk Sensories

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'm pretty sure it was the 1st Lather. The 1st Lather is pretty harsh. As someone else mentioned, you probably shouldn't use it that often b/c all it will do is dry your hair out terribly. Instead, maybe you can use the Moisturizing Shampoo on it's own. I personally think that is suitable enough to cleans the hair without stripping it of all it's natural oils. It's probably going to take a couple of shampoos to get your hair feeling back the way it's supposed to. The next time you wash, just wash with the Moisturizing Poo, and then deep condition with Humecto. Preferrably the one in the tub if you have it. I don't care for the one in the bottle. Use it generously and sit underneath the dryer with it for at least 25-30 minutes. Your hair should start to feel normal again. Good luck hun.

Yea thats what im thinking too.. The 1st Lather might be too much for my fine strands.. Not using that again.. Thanks for the advice Cutiepie

Also, the NTM Leave-In is better as a moisturizer on dry hair than an actual leave-in on wet hair.

ETA: Some suggestion: Giovanni, Salerm 21, Lacio Lacio, HE LTR, Rusk Sensories

Yea maybe.. Im currently looking for the Lacio Lacio but cant find it anywhere.. Guess Ill just have to order it..

It may sound country, but try washing your hair under the bathtub faucet. If you don't properly rinse all of the product out, it will lead to tangles and you will lose hair when you comb it out.

Also, wash in sections (like you're doing already) and detangle with a shower comb underneath the running water.

Finally, and most importantly, when you comb your wet hair or get it ready for rollersetting, always use a leave-in conditioner and keep your hair wet while combing. Not damp, but WET. This alone will severely reduce tangles and hair loss.

Back