Talk me off the ledge!! Spent $200 on kinky twists and don't want them! (Sniff!)

PaperClip

I want to take them down and it hasn't been 24 hours yet!

It's not really anybody's fault. I did my homework. Showed a picture to the braider/twister. Bought my own Nafy Collection hair. The hair is great if that's the look someone is going for. I was going for a different look. The stylist was very nice as well. She said she picked up on my anxiety kind of quickly....

I think I'm in DOUBLE SHOCK because the twists are not smooth (like Senagalese twists) like I wanted and I got highlights in the front and I have gotten color only TWICE in my life. My hair is usually jet black/blue black like in my avatar.

Got to the shop and when the first twist was put in, it wasn't what I thought they were going to be. (Sigh....)

Spent 6 hours in the chair.... I was so tired.... Plus I have to do a taping at church tomorrow and finish a school paper but I'm kind of tempted to take them down....

The stylist said my hair is way longer than the average person who gets such twists! Ha! That's something I hadn't heard...my hair is getting longer! Yay!

I don't need tough love. I need wisdom and a lil' bit of comfort....

Awww...I know how you feel girl. I had that happen once...

Leave them in a few days, and see how you like it. It might grow you, you never know.

$200 is alot to wear somethin for a few hours, but hey...you might just have it like that. :grin:

Leave them in for the time being. It's not the look you were going for, but you don't say it looks bad.
You probably just need a few days to get used to it.

And.......:needpics:

Hey Foxy,
This happens to me about 80% of the time I get braids, but usually the look grows on me after a few days.

Is it absolutely horrid? Have you worn kinky twist before? At any rate, keep it in for a few days and see if you feel more comfortable in them. However, if they are too tight, please take them out by all means!

i will share my story. the last time i got them, i didn't like them at first because i have a small head and it looked like too much hair on me. i got in the shower to weight them down a bit and then i put them up in a ponytail with a really cute accessory. i say try to style them in a updo or swept up in the front or sides. put a pretty flower on the side. put some makeup and earrings on and just go! you just need to get used to them and you got them for a reason, so get your money's worth out of them. good luck and i hope you feel better. they are probably very pretty.

Hey Foxy,
This happens to me about 80% of the time I get braids, but usually the look grows on me after a few days.

Is it absolutely horrid? Have you worn kinky twist before? At any rate, keep it in for a few days and see if you feel more comfortable in them. However, if they are too tight, please take them out by all means!

icon7.gif
Thanks, y'all....

They took a couple of photos at the shop so I'll drop 'em in when they come in....

Nope, never had kinky twists before and wasn't trying to get them now!:lachen:
icon7.gif

They're not tight....the stylist did her best to smooth them down and she said they would "relax" over the next couple of days....

I think maybe the color is shocking me more than the twist texture.

I have it pinned up right now so it looks a little neater to me. I like neat hair....

Oh yeah, ReeseCup: I got it like that "by faith!"
icon7.gif
:yep: (plus I'm a student!0 and yet even if I did have it like that, I think wisdom would still say to hang on to 'em for a couple of weeks....

If I keep them in for about four weeks I'm doing ok, right?

Dont' worry OP. Normally braids and twist "drop" after a couple of days and begin to look better IMO.

Keep them in for a few days then decide.

Last edited:
Girl you better keep them $200 twists in! Think of the break you're giving your hair. And think of the break you're giving yourself in detangling and styling. Go to sleep and wake up tomorrow morning and savor the time and stress you save in doing your hair.

Dont' worry OP. Normally braids and twist "drop" after a couple of days and beginr to look better IMO.

Keep them in for a few days the decide.

I agree. I always have this happen with braids.

If you don't like them after a few weeks, I mean REALLY hate them, take them out.

$200 is a chunk, but it is nothing if what you got for it makes you feel horrible.

I felt like that the first 4 or 5 days after I got microbraids put in with blond highlights. But it grew on me, and I started to like them. So don't take them out just now, it'll get better! It's always kinda striking to see yourself with a new hairstyle or hair color after you're so used to one thing.

Girl you better keep them $200 twists in! Think of the break you're giving your hair. And think of the break you're giving yourself in detangling and styling. Go to sleep and wake up tomorrow morning and savor the time and stress you save in doing your hair.

What mwedzi said. :yep:

:bighug: FoxyS. You'll be fine. You remind me of my sister. Spends all the time and money for braids and twists and have them removed 2-3 hours after she gets home. :lachen: Every time she calls to tell me she is getting braids, I hang up on her. :yawn:

This happened to me when I got latch hooks like 10 yrs ago when they were hot. I wanted different kind of hair, bad decision. It looked nothing like I wanted it to. I was so upset, but it was no one's fault but my own. I got used to it eventually, but I never jumped on another style bandwagon again. It will get better Foxy, ride it out for a while and let yourself get used to it. I personally think everyone looks "eh..." in kinky twists initially, then you get used to it. If not, you have every right to take it down. You paid for it. :bighug:

:bighug: FoxyS. You'll be fine. You remind me of my sister. Spends all the time and money for braids and twists and have them removed 2-3 hours after she gets home. :lachen: Every time she calls to tell me she is getting braids, I hang up on her. :yawn:

LOL!!!!!:lachen:

Appreciate the encouraging words, y'all.... Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning, right? LOL!!

Hey, shan_2001: blondish/black highlights in the front....

Channie: I'm convinced that this will be my first, last and ONLY kinky twist experience.
icon7.gif

Don't worry. KTs start to drop and look much better after a few days. Once you wash/rinse them they look more natural too.

Well Foxy , what u mean you weren't trying to get them now? you didn't go to the stylist wanting Kinky's and she made you get that style and color?

I don't understand, truly. I've had kinky twists a few times and I've loved them everytime. I'm natural so I guess I was used to my hair having a rougher texture anyway.

A pic or 2 would really help so we can see how they look.

I agree with everyone else, let them rest and maybe even get in the shower and let the water run through them, put some nice oil on your hair and tie them down with a scarf to dry . They'll relax , you scalp will be soothed and hopefully you will too.

Don't waste your money and to make you feel better the last time I had kinky's I spent 150. on the hair alone. Then the Stylist charged me 200.00. I loved them though.

I wish I could talk you out of it. I got my hair braided two months ago. The girl did not do it the way I wanted it. I knew I should have taken them off immediately because I knew I was going to get breakage. But I didn't. Just like I thought, I lost two inches.

I've had kinky twist before. I love them but I stopped getting them because I thought my hair got too long for them, yes it is possible. So I'm giving you a push of the ledge. Maybe you should keep them for 4 weeks but that's it.

You can always use a head band or a pretty scarf tied as a head band to take the twists off your face and soften the look. I know how you feel but you should give a few days just to let your scalp rest if for nothing else...

I love Senegalese twists they are much smoother.

Well Foxy , what u mean you weren't trying to get them now? you didn't go to the stylist wanting Kinky's and she made you get that style and color?

I don't understand, truly. I've had kinky twists a few times and I've loved them everytime. I'm natural so I guess I was used to my hair having a rougher texture anyway.

A pic or 2 would really help so we can see how they look.

I agree with everyone else, let them rest and maybe even get in the shower and let the water run through them, put some nice oil on your hair and tie them down with a scarf to dry . They'll relax , you scalp will be soothed and hopefully you will too.

Don't waste your money and to make you feel better the last time I had kinky's I spent 150. on the hair alone. Then the Stylist charged me 200.00. I loved them though.

I wish I could upload the photos I showed to the stylist. I went for a consult A MONTH BEFORE the appointment and I was settled that I had gotten the right hair for the style I wanted. I even started a couple of threads on LHCF with similar photos to get some feedback about the hair I should get. I wanted smooth twists (now I understand them to be called Senegalese twists).

She didn't make me get anything.... Maybe we just didn't have a meeting of the minds during the consult. I bought five packs of hair and only needed two so I just donated them to her (she knocked money off so it was actually under the $200 but I got some product so it went back up above $200)....

She kinda talked me into the color and I was open to having something different. Just not used to it, is all....

I suppose I should have stopped after I saw the first twist.... Yeah, that's probably what I should have done.... sigh....

Let this be a lesson learned for everybody else. If you don't like what you see starting off, maybe stop the process right then to get an understanding of what the end result will be and it's OK TO GET UP OUT THE CHAIR AND WALK AWAY!
icon7.gif
:yep:

P.S.: I'm au naturale, too. My avatar is a press....

I love Kinky Twist. Mine always look gorgeous right after they are down. No need for them to drop, flatten, or whatever...

I wouldn't waste my $200 FS. Think of this as bunning..but you really don't like bunning, but would like the end results. I'm not really a color person either and I had to get use to color I got in my braids one time. I rather just worth with jet black too.

Hold on and watch you will start getting compliments.

been their done that only with a weave. paid 200$ and it looked like a mop on my head. :wallbash: took it down after a few days. bought a few vhs tapes from a local hair stylist who demonstrated how to do weaves (that was years ago) never ever never ever will let noone put a weave in my hair again. i can do it myself.:grin:

$200!! Keep them in for a while. They will fall and settle in a bit. Also consider clipping them back away from your face if you feel to full. Pin the sides up or something like that...to help frame your face.

It's not really anybody's fault. I did my homework. Showed a picture to the braider/twister. Bought my own Nafy Collection hair. The hair is great if that's the look someone is going for. I was going for a different look. The stylist was very nice as well. She said she picked up on my anxiety kind of quickly....

I think I'm in DOUBLE SHOCK because the twists are not smooth (like Senagalese twists) like I wanted and I got highlights in the front and I have gotten color only TWICE in my life. My hair is usually jet black/blue black like in my avatar.

Got to the shop and when the first twist was put in, it wasn't what I thought they were going to be. (Sigh....)

Spent 6 hours in the chair.... I was so tired.... Plus I have to do a taping at church tomorrow and finish a school paper but I'm kind of tempted to take them down....

The stylist said my hair is way longer than the average person who gets such twists! Ha! That's something I hadn't heard...my hair is getting longer! Yay!

FOXY!!!!! HUGS>>>>>> to you...:bighug:

what happened????

Well, first - Finish your SCHOOL work.... that is most important....

Then let the style wear on you for a few days.

If it is totally unbearable.... then take them down...............

Any pics?????

ETA: 200 Bucks!!!!!!
YEA - let them wear on you.... The whole 6 weeks....

:lachen:I love your Kitty!!!!!
CUTE!

I wish I could upload the photos I showed to the stylist. I went for a consult A MONTH BEFORE the appointment and I was settled that I had gotten the right hair for the style I wanted. I even started a couple of threads on LHCF with similar photos to get some feedback about the hair I should get. I wanted smooth twists (now I understand them to be called Senegalese twists).

She didn't make me get anything.... Maybe we just didn't have a meeting of the minds during the consult. I bought five packs of hair and only needed two so I just donated them to her (she knocked money off so it was actually under the $200 but I got some product so it went back up above $200)....

She kinda talked me into the color and I was open to having something different. Just not used to it, is all....

I suppose I should have stopped after I saw the first twist.... Yeah, that's probably what I should have done.... sigh....

Let this be a lesson learned for everybody else. If you don't like what you see starting off, maybe stop the process right then to get an understanding of what the end result will be and it's OK TO GET UP OUT THE CHAIR AND WALK AWAY!
icon7.gif
:yep:

P.S.: I'm au naturale, too. My avatar is a press....

Well Foxy I can truly relate, cause I've recently had this experience myself with a weave :ohwell:. I told the story on here somewhere.

I was going on a cruise this past June and didn't want to bother with my hair so I went to a stylist friend and asked her to do a weave for me. I had never really had a full sew-in before just a couple of tracks put in for length for special occasions a couple of times. She was good at that but I had no idea she had no expertise in doing a full sew-in even though she said she could.

It was a big fiasco. She took that hair and wound it and wound it around my head sewing it tightly on top of tight, tight cornrows. I had to take meds to go to sleep that night :sad:. In the morning I called her and told her I couldn't take it , so instead of letting that be that I let her put in another style. Me and DH went on our cruise and after 2 days on the cruise I had to ask him to help me cut that mess out of my hair. Imagine being on a cruise with my natural hair and no prods or even a proper comb to tame my hair :nono: . I vowed then that I would leave the weaves to Beyonce an 'nem.

However , I'm taking a leap of faith again and having someone else that was recommended try to weave me up again this week. I spent 200. on kinky curly hair from Lanik's last night and if this doesn't work out , you'll see me in here crying next week :blush:.

I hope your twists work out and just look at it as an expensive lesson learned. I still think it would help if you ran some water through it , oiled it and tied it down. If you want to darken the streaks you can even let some rinse sit on it before you rinse it out.

You can always try to cover them up with a loose beret or scarf. That's what I'm doing with my gosh awful crochet braids. All the luck to you.

I would say you're a grown woman so you have the option to do what you please, leave them or take them out. Unlike what happened to me about 7 years ago, I had no option because I was only 15.....anyway lol

Leave them in for a few days, if you continue to feel uncomfortable take them out, and chalk up the lost as a lesson learned LOL we have to be happy with ourselves.

When I was in highschool I paid 250 for gold brown braids that I HAD to leave in for 3.5 months because I was a child and I didn't pay for them with my own money. If I have to tell you that was the most uncomfortable 3.5 months of my life....man...

but yeah I think you should give the style a few days, if your gut is telling you to take them out, then after that take them out.

you'll be okay I'm sorry this happened :-(

i feel you. I got those dreadful things over the summer. There was a dummy with the twists in her head, so I pointed and told the lady i wanted it to look just like that. Did it? Um NO!!! Was so mad!!!!!!!! I swear i was gonna take them down. I wanted to that night. The only thing that made me keep it in was because my aunt paid for it. I just chalked it up and kept it in for a month. I never really liked them on me, but they were more tolerable when they got a little old.

Oh and I only wore it down once. Thats when i went out. Man I hated those thing. I just wore it in a messy bun

So wait a week:)

Do you have any pictures?

Back