Taking (short) a hiatus from Protective Styles/Baggie....

LocksOfLuV

Anyone took a short hiatus from protective styling ( a few weeks, no longer than a month) and wore their hair down and/or out? How did it work out for you? Did your hair break some?

I am thinking about taking a few weeks off from protective styling next month/beginning of June. Of course I won't do anything stupid like blowdrying and flat-ironing 15Xs a week.:lol: And I will still DC weekly and moisturize daily. But I was thinking of rocking rollersets or silk wraps for a while. I bunned/baggied for 6 mos, no heat and I think I need a little break to search for my sexy:ohwell: . She left me, and I have yet to find her.

Of course I am going to get back into it, but since I got about another year of "growing out" to do, I think a break will give me a lift up that I need.

How was your experience? Advice, suggestions, yay/nay? Anything you wanna add, I am willing to read.:)

Oh i don't have any suggestions b/c I am literally terrified of wearing my hair out. But as for you I think your hair is long enough so please go find SEXY and give her some hugs for me cause I won't be seeing her for a lOOOOOOOOOONG time!

RavenIvygurl said:
Oh i don't have any suggestions b/c I am literally terrified of wearing my hair out.

Ditto that. My hair just now grazes the tops of my shoulders, so I don't want to wear it down for fear of damaging my ends. I might use a Bootcamp pass to wear it out for Saturday night (just to try:eek: ), but I'm pretty hooked on protective styling for now.

RavenIvygurl said:
Oh i don't have any suggestions b/c I am literally terrified of wearing my hair out. But as for you I think your hair is long enough so please go find SEXY and give her some hugs for me cause I won't be seeing her for a lOOOOOOOOOONG time!
:lachen: You are such a fool!!

:look: But once I find sexy, that ***** is not leaving my sight. So find your own damn sexy!:look:

I hear ya....lol. My arms aren't strong enough to do it anymore...all that contorting to get to the ends and roll and keep it tight at the same time. I wish we had Dominican Salons here..I'd go weekly and let them do it minus the blowouts of course. I think I'm going to start trying to do the tube thingies...those are easier.

senimoni said:
I hear ya....lol. My arms aren't strong enough to do it anymore...all that contorting to get to the ends and roll and keep it tight at the same time. I wish we had Dominican Salons here..I'd go weekly and let them do it minus the blowouts of course. I think I'm going to start trying to do the tube thingies...those are easier.

Our hair is almost the same length. Please don't tell me that!:perplexed I'm scared now.

LocksOfLuV said:
Our hair is almost the same length. Please don't tell me that!:perplexed I'm scared now.

Dang, I hadn't thought about it, but I guess it would be harder to rollerset long hair. I have enough trouble doing it now, I don't know what to do when it gets APL or longer.:confused: Now you ladies got me scurred!:eek: :lol:

Don't let me scare you...I've always had issues ..I think I have fibromyalgia...so anytime I need to hold my arms up for an extended period of time i have issues. When it was really bad...it was a pain just to put dishes away. And I'm short...ie shorter arms...lol.

preciousjewel76 said:
Dang, I hadn't thought about it, but I guess it would be harder to rollerset long hair. I have enough trouble doing it now, I don't know what to do when it gets APL or longer.:confused: Now you ladies got me scurred!:eek: :lol:

You scurred of everything!!:lachen: First it's wearing it down, now rollersetting lmao!!:lachen: I'm just playing with ya.

I don't mind getting my hair just right for the perfect rollerset. Maybe it just takes more time. If Lonie and Macherieamour can do perfect rollerset and their hair is loooooong then we can do ....I hope.:look:

LocksOfLuV said:
You scurred of everything!!:lachen: First it's wearing it down, now rollersetting lmao!!:lachen: I'm just playing with ya.

I don't mind getting my hair just right for the perfect rollerset. Maybe it just takes more time. If Lonie and Macherieamour can do perfect rollerset and their hair is loooooong then we can do ....I hope.:look:

I'ma just come right out and say it:

LHCF has made me "hair"-anoid!:lachen:

Im scared to stop wearing protectives :lol: I got my relaxer 4 weeks early because of BT and it was out for only 2 days :eek: Now it's longer, it gets caught on straps and stuff. :whyme: I think I'm a slave to buns and phony ponies. I knew this would happen:lol: longer hair and dont know what to do with it :confused: :confused: :confused: I almost want to cut it so I can handle it. :ohwell: I can imagine being brastap:look:

mysweetevie said:
Im scared to stop wearing protectives :lol: I got my relaxer 4 weeks early because of BT and it was out for only 2 days :eek: Now it's longer, it gets caught on straps and stuff. :whyme: I think I'm a slave to buns and phony ponies. I knew this would happen:lol: longer hair and dont know what to do with it :confused: :confused: :confused: I almost want to cut it so I can handle it. :ohwell: I can imagine being brastap:look:

See yall ain't no kinda help!!:lachen:

RavenIvygurl said:

Ditto, cause I am rocking a not so cute french braid. And it will be like that for a long time!:ohwell:

I took a hiatus - yesterday. My co-worker was said "whoa - I haven't seen that much hair from you in ages!":) I didn't have any breakage because I wore my hair up in a high pony tail, so only my ends touched my shirt. I did bring a 1 oz bottle of aloe vera oil and my clip just in case. I've become almost paranoid to wear my hair down now, but it's getting warm outside and I'm not wearing a bun all summer long, so I'm gonna have to get over it. I went out and bought a bunch of cute satin shirts to prepare me for the occassion:lol:

I did it for a few weeks. You will be just fine. Just use a lot of extra care when styling your hair after it is down. Use your fingers if possible. I wore my hair out from my bantu knot set and I did have a little breakage. Any time my hair is not totally straight and I put a comb to it...oh well. I know now to be careful as walking through a land mine. My hair is back up in a clip until the next special occasion.

You will have to post pics of your pretty hair. :)

RZ~

deontaer said:
I took a hiatus - yesterday. My co-worker was said "whoa - I haven't seen that much hair from you in ages!":) I didn't have any breakage because I wore my hair up in a high pony tail, so only my ends touched my shirt. I did bring a 1 oz bottle of aloe vera oil and my clip just in case. I've become almost paranoid to wear my hair down now, but it's getting warm outside and I'm not wearing a bun all summer long, so I'm gonna have to get over it. I went out and bought a bunch of cute satin shirts to prepare me for the occassion:lol:

Satin Shirts! What a wonderful Idea!!! Eliminate robbing the hair of that precious moisture!

RZ~

For me, I'd do it short spurts, like a couple of days a week I'll wear my hair out. I'll do this one or two days after wash/rollersets. I would like to be able to see my hair out after I've worked so hard to wash, condition and rollerset. Doing so, and enjoying the results of my hair growth will encourage and motivate me to continue to take care of my hair.

My goal is that after maybe 10 weeks post, then I'll cut down on the number of days I have my hair out, going back to 6 days of protective styling.

After month 4 of my 6-month stretch, or whenever it is no longer possible to slick my hair back, then I'll wear my hair up and protected 6 days a week or daily.

Here's my regimen:

First 3 months post-relaxer: Wear protective styles 4 days a week
4 months post-relaxer: Wear protective styles 6 days a week
5-6 months post-relaxer: Wear protective styles daily, even after wash days.

LocksOfLuV said:
Anyone took a short hiatus from protective styling ( a few weeks, no longer than a month) and wore their hair down and/or out? How did it work out for you? Did your hair break some?

I am thinking about taking a few weeks off from protective styling next month/beginning of June. Of course I won't do anything stupid like blowdrying and flat-ironing 15Xs a week.:lol: And I will still DC weekly and moisturize daily. But I was thinking of rocking rollersets or silk wraps for a while. I bunned/baggied for 6 mos, no heat and I think I need a little break to search for my sexy:ohwell: . She left me, and I have yet to find her.

Of course I am going to get back into it, but since I got about another year of "growing out" to do, I think a break will give me a lift up that I need.

How was your experience? Advice, suggestions, yay/nay? Anything you wanna add, I am willing to read.:)

I'm thinking about doing this myself. I'm just tired of all this hair hiding. :ohwell:

Well, I know it is easy for me to say because my hair is neck length, but I always wear my hair down.

I would have trouble with it if I were your length, unless as the other ladies have mentioned, if you do it in a rollerset. But still, if you wear it down, it will not be ALL the time, ALL day. It think it would be okay for a part of the day to swing it out and then wear it up when you are around the house or something.

Even if you are at work or school or something and it gets in the way, you could just out it up a little while.

Ok I know how it sucks when you start a thread and 90% of the answers are...*I don't have any suggestions* BUT here I'am:lol:
I just wanted to say I can't wait for you to wear your hair down and post some pics of cute styles,I'll be wearing my hair up till next year jan. so please rock your hair in memory of my sexy.:look: :lol:

i understand the purpose of protective styles but whats they point of growing ur hair long if ur never going to show it. u have worked hard to get ur length so i dont think u shhould feel bad about enjoying it. as long as u dc every week and moisturize every day, minimize combing u should be ok.

ella said:
Ok I know how it sucks when you start a thread and 90% of the answers are...*I don't have any suggestions* BUT here I'am:lol:
I just wanted to say I can't wait for you to wear your hair down and post some pics of cute styles,I'll be wearing my hair up till next year jan. so please rock your hair in memory of my sexy.:look: :lol:

I like the style in your siggie. Now, that's my kind of protective style. I love that!

Back