Taking a Stand Against Breakage!!! The Braider's/Twister's Support Thread!

Nonie That must have been it! I didn't even think to twirl my hair the opposite direction and then twist, but that makes perfect sense because that's how my Senegalese twists were put in, which lasted like 3 months, and only a few were on the brink of unraveling. Thanks! I definitely will be trying that next!

@Nonie That must have been it! I didn't even think to twirl my hair the opposite direction and then twist, but that makes perfect sense because that's how my Senegalese twists were put in, which lasted like 3 months, and only a few were on the brink of unraveling. Thanks! I definitely will be trying that next!

davisbr88It really makes a difference. :yep: I've seen people twirl one strand clockwise and the other anti-clockwise but I personally feel that you get a better hold when you twist both in the same direction first (anti-clockwise) then wrap them in the opposite direction. In fact, when you twist them one way, they themselves automatically wrap around each other in the other direction. I made this vid to demonstrate slowly how I do it, and I don't know if it's obvious but I hardly have to do much to wrap them around each other. They themselves sorta just make it happen once I twirl them: YouTube - Two Strand Twists--My Way

I'm glad you made this thread OP.

I'm putting my hair in some kinky twists this weekend. But l am not sure how I should take care of my hair while its under extensions. This is what I was thinkingfor preparing my hair.

Before I put the twists in I am going to pre poo with my mix of evoo and garlic extract to help slow down shedding and shampoo.

Then deep condition with NTM mixed with wheat germ oil and steam.

Moisturize and seal and let air dry.

is this a good way to prepare my hair for the twist. And what should I do to keep my hair moisturized while the twist are in? can I cowash with the twist in or will that loosen them up?

@LuvlyRain3, I can't answer on the prepooing or preparation because I don't do anything out of the ordinary before twisting my hair.

Whether the twists will unravel depends on how you do them. I posted photos of my hair after shampooing, conditioner, ACV rinsing 8 times in 4 weeks. They didn't unravel, but you can see how they looked. I personally didn't mind that look.

adding to this! i got small/medium box braids put in yesterday.

i was wondering if just using a homemade rosewater, glycerin, and lavender EO mix would be enough moisture.
i have some HS14n1 from the juicing challenge, but i'm afraid of buildup.

Awesome. You're all natural, aren't you?

I'm not very far in my transition but currently I'm using twists as a protective style. I moisturize the ends daily with a leave in ( Giovanni) and seal with JBCO.

My twists unravel easily because they are relaxed so I have been doing braids at night to curl them. I'm on my fourth week but they do not look as good as yours.I have to work on my technique.
Mine stay. They don't look as neat as when they are put in but I actually like the fluffy look they get with time. These are 4 weeks old with 2 washes per week:
ssytwiststhatImmadlyinlovewith-vi.jpg

Perhaps it is the twisting method. Do you twirl each strand first, say, anti-clockwise before wrapping them around each other clockwise? I also twist on dry hair w/ no products so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Awesome. You're all natural, aren't you?

I'm not very far in my transition but currently I'm using twists as a protective style. I moisturize the ends daily with a leave in ( Giovanni) and seal with JBCO.

My twists unravel easily because they are relaxed so I have been doing braids at night to curl them. I'm on my fourth week but they do not look as good as yours.I have to work on my technique.

Yes, 4B natural, and that does help in keeping the ends from unraveling since the end coils can be pressed together and they interlocking, plus the technique, ie twirling the strands before wrapping them around each other.

I think some relaxed people put curlers at the ends of their twists to stop them unraveling.

Thanks for the tip Nonie. I plan to try this the next time I twist my hair. I'm texlaxed so having a little extra grip will be nice.

Yes, 4B natural, and that does help in keeping the ends from unraveling since the end coils can be pressed together and they interlocking, plus the technique, ie twirling the strands before wrapping them around each other.

I think some relaxed people put curlers at the ends of their twists to stop them unraveling.

Put in a billion mini-braids with extensions that took me forever but I am hoping they will last until Christmas! Winter is my shedding season, so I will start taking my garlic supplements on a daily basis as it gets colder, and I definitely think the 2.5 months of braids will help make up for the fact that I manipulated the mess out of my hair the month after I BC'ed.

I gots pichas!!!

Recently, I ran into a bit of trouble with breakage. I began using ceramides to help, but I decided that a protective style would help eve more! So, I put in some yarn braids!

100_1547.jpg

100_1548.jpg

100_1566.jpg

100_1572.jpg

I plan on keeping these in for at least 5-6 weeks and then redoing them for another 5-6 weeks. After that, I may give my hair a short break before braiding it up again.

Oh, and I do have a question. For those of you who have worn yarn braids before, do they attract lint? I thought about that when I was about half way finished with my hair! That really would not be a good look! :nono:

I'll keep them covered at night to avoid this as much as possible.

ETA: Clearly I changed my mind about not using extensions! Even though it's only yarn, I guess that still counts as extensions when it's in your hair right? Well, whatever the case, I'm on a mission right now! I'm trying to keep and retain as much length as possible! Grow hair GROW!!!!

Wow, your hair looks so pretty. I've been wanting to try yarn braids, i use synthetic hair when i do kinky twists and human hair for box braids. Can i ask where did you buy the yarn? Is it a special type of yarn? I'm clueless!

wednesday

I purchased the yarn at a nearby craft store. Nothing special! :grin:

If you decide to try it, just make sure to use acrylic yarn rather than wool! From what I've heard, wool will mat in your hair. I didn't have any problems with the acrylic, and as an added bonus, it didn't itch as much as braids I've had in the past using actual hair. :yep:

Best of luck and please post pics if you decide to do the braids!

I'm hoping you ladies can help me. I'm just learning to french braid and corn row and I'm 13 weeks post trying to keep my own hair braided.

I'm having issues with keeping my hair neat looking in 1 week increments. I don't know if it's how tight I may or may not be braiding or if it's a product that I need to use to keep it together more.

I'll take pictures of it tonight and hopefully someone will have a suggestion.

Thank you!

I want to braid my hair up this fall/winter as well with kinky twists. So I'll be using synthetic hair. My hair tends to dry out and break in the winter, so hopefully this will help. I'm somewhat new to braiding. I did not used to like braids, but I got a set of kinky twists this summer and really liked them and my hair seemed pretty healthy once I took them down.

I don't plan on keeping them longer than 6 weeks. The last set of braids, I used an applicator bottle to apply diluted shampoo to my scalp to clean every wk or every other week. This summer I didn't use a real conditioner, just sprayed in a leave in after washing. but this time I'm going to take a moisturizing conditioner and dilute it a little and apply it from a spray bottle and sit under my steamer. I will be taking breaks between sets of braids, for at least 2 weeks before braiding again.......

I've worn braids for so long that I've become almost an expert at maintaining them without dealing with the breakage. The first thought I had when I read this was that synthetic hair tends to dry our hair out and since your hair is naturally dry AND you're doing this in the winter the only way to avoid your hair being excessively dry with synthetic hair is to take on an almost aggressive moisturizing regimen. Even if you do this, you'll then have to also face the challenge of guarding your hair from build up near the roots that the added product may create.

But then I noticed that it's been about 2 months or so now. I haven't finished reading the whole thread (I plan to read it soon) so I don't know if you gave us an update but just in case, I'm gonna ask.....how have your braids been working for you?

I have been getting braid extensions since I was 5 and only in the last few years has my hair been retaining length while in braids and it is because of growafrohairlong.com. But I have modified it to fit my needs and save money.

1. When braiding/twisting with extensions, how do you keep your hair moisturized and conditioned?
I only buy my braid spray and Infusium 23 from Sallys. They have the lowest prices for braid spray and infusium 23. I use African Pride Braid Spray because it is more moisturizing and has no mineral oil or petrolatum unlike African Royale.
I buy Sallys GVP Infusium 23, Original Infusium 23, and African Pride Braid Spray. I take an empty Original Infusium 23 bottle, and mix 1/4 Sallys GVP, 1/4 Infusium, and 1/2 braid spray. I have an empty 2.5 or 3 ounce bottle and pour the mixture into the bottle then into my braids focusing on where my hair is and massage the mixture in.
I wash my hair only with shampoos that are sulfate free such as Giovanni tea tree and Trader Joes Tingle tea tree. They clean your scalp and hair without drying it out. And I focus on only washing my scalp with the shampoo then letting the rest trickle down to the braids. And on days that I wash my scalp which is twice a week, I moisturize my hair by using Suave tropical coconut conditioner as a leave in after I squeeze the water out of my hair. Then let the braids air dry.

2. I know you can keep your hair braided up to a month, (sometimes longer) but do you need to give your hair a break before braiding it again? If so, how long?

I find it easier to keep my hair braided up. So I'll keep my hair out for a week I just have a very good out of braid regimen. When my hair is out, I first clarify (VO5 Kiwi Lime Poo) my hair, then moisturizing shampoo (Elucence MBS), then reconstructor (Aphogee 2 min), then deep condition (Aubrey Organics or Silk Elements). Then air dry and moisturize my hair with Shea Moisture Leave-In and seal with JBCO or Coconut Oil and using the African threading method, I thread my hair to stretch it and as a protective style.

3. If you wash/moisturize your hair while in braids, are there certain types of synthetic hair that let the products get through to your hair more easily than others?
For me Kanekalon or Expressions works fine. But I prefer Expressions because my hair is always in braids and Expressions is very light and doesn't really add weight to my hair.

Last edited:
Back