Taking a Stand Against Breakage!!! The Braider's/Twister's Support Thread!

Sianna

I did a search and didn't find a thread like this, so if I missed something please let me know!!!

Hello everyone!! I would like to start braiding and or twisting my hair to protect it from breakage and the upcoming winter. I knew I'd have to go into protective styles eventually but I thought I'd be able to wait till my own hair was long enough to braid or twist it without the use of extensions. Unfortunately, I am now facing some breakage issues, so I think that maybe it's time to protect my hair NOW! :yep:

I would like to know...

1. When braiding/twisting with extensions, how do you keep your hair moisturized and conditioned?

2. I know you can keep your hair braided up to a month, (sometimes longer) but do you need to give your hair a break before braiding it again? If so, how long?

3. If you wash/moisturize your hair while in braids, are there certain types of synthetic hair that let the products get through to your hair more easily than others?

For those who are interested in this topic, please feel free to add your questions, and those of you who have been there and done that, please feel free to give advice and show some pics!

This thread welcomes all types of braids, two-strand twists, three-strand twists, synthetic extensions, real hair extensions, 100% natural hair, relaxed and texlaxed!!

Bring it on ladies!!

Last edited:
I did a search and didn't find a thread like this, so if I missed something please let me know!!!

I don't know if this thread will address your questions but it's an old one that was very popular when it was first posted: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=122779

Hello everyone!! I would like to start braiding and or twisting my hair to protect it from breakage and the upcoming winter. I knew I'd have to go into protective styles eventually but I thought I'd be able to wait till my own hair was long enough to braid or twist it without the use of extensions. Unfortunately, I am now facing some breakage issues, so I think that maybe it's time to protect my hair NOW! :yep:

I would like to know...

1. When braiding/twisting with extensions, how do you keep your hair moisturized and conditioned?

Shampoo, condition, ACV rinse twice a week. On one of those washes, I include a DC. I baggy every night or under headwraps/hat when I wear them. I don't use any other moisturizer when wearing braid extensions.

2. I know you can keep your hair braided up to a month, (sometimes longer) but do you need to give your hair a break before braiding it again? If so, how long?

I do my own braids so I follow my own rules. I redo my braids one at a time as time allows so I don't really take breaks. For how long a break to take, and for a good "beginner's regimen" when in doubt, see this website: http://growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

3. If you wash/moisturize your hair while in braids, are there certain types of synthetic hair that let the products get through to your hair more easily than others?

I use human hair so I know Jack about synthetic.

For those who are interested in this topic, please feel free to add your questions, and those of you who have been there and done that, please feel free to give advice and show some pics!

See my post(s) here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=9350774

This thread welcomes all types of braids, two-strand twists, three-strand twists, synthetic extensions, real hair extensions, 100% natural hair, relaxed and texlaxed!!

Bring it on ladies!!

My hair is mini-twisted under wigs so I'm in!
I would definitely love to know if ladies who wear twists/braids with their natural hair are able to steam regularly and how they do so. I want to do a treatment this weekend but I don't know what to expect!

I want to braid my hair up this fall/winter as well with kinky twists. So I'll be using synthetic hair. My hair tends to dry out and break in the winter, so hopefully this will help. I'm somewhat new to braiding. I did not used to like braids, but I got a set of kinky twists this summer and really liked them and my hair seemed pretty healthy once I took them down.

I don't plan on keeping them longer than 6 weeks. The last set of braids, I used an applicator bottle to apply diluted shampoo to my scalp to clean every wk or every other week. This summer I didn't use a real conditioner, just sprayed in a leave in after washing. but this time I'm going to take a moisturizing conditioner and dilute it a little and apply it from a spray bottle and sit under my steamer. I will be taking breaks between sets of braids, for at least 2 weeks before braiding again.

Oh, and i'm transitioning w/4b fine/medium strands. I'm all natural in the back, and about 3 inches of relaxed hair left in the top.

when in braids, i wash my hair once a week. i follow that up with a moisturizing spray & a creamy leave-in (and sometimes seal with oil). my hair is very porous -- so loading up the moisture here allows my hair to reach a saturation state. buy products that will dissolve into your hair when dry -- especially if you're leaving in regular conditioners. also concentrate on getting the product on your braids, so you don't have build up on your scalp. not to say you won't or don't need product there -- cause you do -- but the focus should be on your length, & especially the ends. once this is done, for the remainder of the week, all i have to do is spray my braids as needed & go. (but remember to listen to your hair, & give it what it needs)

i usually keep my braids in for 2 months at a time. if i'm on a strict braid regime, i don't rest in between. i take a set out. detangle & deep condition. and put a new set in. i do my own braids, so i've learned not to make the braids or parts too small -- leading to undue stress on your strands, i.e. breakage. braids are a great protective style, & should allow you to retain every inch you grow, as long as you remember to care & pamper your hair while they're in. if i do take a break in between braids it's one or two weeks, then i'm back on my mission :drunk::drunk::drunk:

i use yarn braids. for me they hold moisture the best & feel more like natural hair -- like locs. they also age better & don't catch on your clothes like synthetic braids.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Bumping!!

Also, I've figured out how I want to twist my hair, and for now at least, I will NOT be using extensions!! I'll post some pics when it's done! Most likely some time this weekend! :yep:

I am going to try to put in some individual extension braids next weekend. :yep:
Even though I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Those will be some interesting pics. I'll definitely show either because I'm surprised they come out decent or to provide some humor to someone who may need it. :)

I am going to try to put in some individual extension braids next weekend. :yep:
Even though I don't have a clue what I'm doing. Those will be some interesting pics. I'll definitely show either because I'm surprised they come out decent or to provide some humor to someone who may need it. :)

you will do fine! i can't wait to see pics!

i use a moisturizing braid spray every other day....i got the tip from nonie to keep it AWAY from the roots (it only took one time for me to experience matting to learn that lesson). i have made my own and bought one as well. i wash my braids once every 2-3 weeks, as my hair is prone to the frizzies. in the in between times, i have heard of people cleaning their scalp with witch hazel-soaked cotton balls, but i don't do this.

i do since i have never worn them back-to-back, but my sister has no problem keeping them in for 6-8 weeks or more, taking them out, and going right back into them after washing and DCing. sometimes she will give her hair a rest for a week or so, particularly in the summer, but during the school year she wears them year round.

please please PLEASE use only 100% kanekalon!! you can also use yarn, but do NOT use toyokalon or that ambiguous "silky" braiding hair!!

^^ Awww thanks twinny! :D
I will definitely post pics. I'm not going to do it until next weekend, but I have been watching a million videos and I will definitely put forth a good faith effort and regardless of what it looks like, I WILL be wearing them... lol.
I've never used braid spray before... when I wore my Senegalese twists, I used Megatek and I washed once a week. So I guess I have to figure out what I want to use this time around since I don't plan to buy any more hair products. What's in your spray? I may just continue juicing. What do you recommend?

^^ Awww thanks twinny! :D
I will definitely post pics. I'm not going to do it until next weekend, but I have been watching a million videos and I will definitely put forth a good faith effort and regardless of what it looks like, I WILL be wearing them... lol.
I've never used braid spray before... when I wore my Senegalese twists, I used Megatek and I washed once a week. So I guess I have to figure out what I want to use this time around since I don't plan to buy any more hair products. What's in your spray? I may just continue juicing. What do you recommend?

I peeped over in one of the Juice threads one day and they actually consider braid spray as "juice" bc of the water and glycerin.

When I was in braids I used AFrican royale, straight from Walgreens. My hair was nice and moisturized. I sprayed some on my loose hair the other day and liked how it felt, so I may actually start using this or something similar as a daily moisturizer even when i don't have braids.

^^ That's true. I am in the juice challenge and I did notice that people were using braid spray as their moisturizer. So I am just going to continue to use my juice (which is a spray) with my braids. Thanks Imani!

I'll be doing my own mini twists this weekend. Hope to keep them in for 3 weeks.

and I'll be taking them down induvudually to refresh the style like what Nonie does. i think the bi-monthly blowouts in order to twist/cornrow my hair is gonna take a toll on my hair soon, so Im trying to find a little to no heat style for the next 3 months or maybe to the end of the year.

Thanks for starting this thread OP! I recently had box braids w/exten. put in dd hair. and this has provided much needed info.

I gots pichas!!!

Recently, I ran into a bit of trouble with breakage. I began using ceramides to help, but I decided that a protective style would help eve more! So, I put in some yarn braids!

100_1547.jpg

100_1548.jpg

100_1566.jpg

100_1572.jpg

I plan on keeping these in for at least 5-6 weeks and then redoing them for another 5-6 weeks. After that, I may give my hair a short break before braiding it up again.

Oh, and I do have a question. For those of you who have worn yarn braids before, do they attract lint? I thought about that when I was about half way finished with my hair! That really would not be a good look! :nono:

I'll keep them covered at night to avoid this as much as possible.

ETA: Clearly I changed my mind about not using extensions! Even though it's only yarn, I guess that still counts as extensions when it's in your hair right? Well, whatever the case, I'm on a mission right now! I'm trying to keep and retain as much length as possible! Grow hair GROW!!!!

Last edited:
I'm in kinky twists for the first time and i've almost completed my first week (2 more days). I'm hoping to keep them in for 5 more weeks, take a 2 week break with 2 strands, and try to put in senegalese twists myself. For my kinkies, my friend only used 2 1/2 packs of the puffy screw hair for my whole head and we bought 4 lol. I've got 3 packs of Outre 62 inch jumbo braiding hair and i'm praying that'll be enough when i try the senegalese twists.

Thanks ladies!! The yarn braids turned out better than I expected and didn't take the whole weekend to complete! That was a big plus too! :grin:

I'm really feeling a lot better about my retention potential now that my hair is properly protected! :yep:

Is this thread only for ladies who use extensions? I just found out I could twist my own hair and it finally stayed thanks to Afroveda's curl define and eco styler gel.:spinning: Please tell me I can join you ladies!:yep:

Last edited:
Is there anyone in here that does individual two-strand twists on their own hair that has lasted about 2 weeks? I can't seem to get them to last a long time because they get frizzy and/or loose. How are you ladies keeping them? I'm not a fan of having to do them every week or every 5 or 6 days.

ETA: I really have to work on moisturizing and sealing everyday, but that's what seems to get my hair frizzy/unraveling. I have a spray moisturizer which works well for less manipulation, but rubbing the oil in everyday is the problem.

Last edited:
Hello all! I've lurked around for some time now. I've fallen in LOVE with mini twists and figured this would be a great thread for me to get involved in :-)

I just put in a set over Labor Day weekend and plan to keep them in until my birthday in mid-November. Every 2-3 weeks I find myself retwisting my whole head. I think this will be my signature style for a while lol.

Is there anyone in here that does individual two-strand twists on their own hair that has lasted about 2 weeks? I can't seem to get them to last a long time because they get frizzy and/or loose. How are you ladies keeping them? I'm not a fan of having to do them every week or every 5 or 6 days.

ETA: I really have to work on moisturizing and sealing everyday, but that's what seems to get my hair frizzy/unraveling. I have a spray moisturizer which works well for less manipulation, but rubbing the oil in everyday is the problem.

Mine stay. They don't look as neat as when they are put in but I actually like the fluffy look they get with time. These are 4 weeks old with 2 washes per week:
ssytwiststhatImmadlyinlovewith-vi.jpg

Perhaps it is the twisting method. Do you twirl each strand first, say, anti-clockwise before wrapping them around each other clockwise? I also twist on dry hair w/ no products so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Back