switching from no lye to lye

jshor09

What is the best way about doing this? I've heard in the best you should put the lye all the way through the hair. Other times i've heard just put it on the new growth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jackie

Jkelly0204 said:
What is the best way about doing this? I've heard in the best you should put the lye all the way through the hair. Other times i've heard just put it on the new growth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jackie

I wouldn't put it all through the hair. I would only apply it to sufficient new growth and then trim off the no-lye treated hair very gradually as your hair grows out (this is what I did because the no-lye hair was very dry). That's what I have done in the past to my hair and to other people's hair that I've relaxed.

Mixing the two chemicals could result in hair loss eg breakage where the two chemicals meet.

Just talking from my experiences. Some people lose hair, some don't, but I would say get a good protein treatment before you do it.

When I switched i just put it on my new growth. I don't see why you would need to put it all over. Even though it was relaxed with no-lye it is still relaxed hair, and that could just lead to damaged overprocessed hair.

I would just focus on the new growth. The theory behind pulling the relaxer through is to remove the calcium buildup of the no-lye relaxer, but I think this does more harm than good. Is your hair suffering from no-lye? Is it really dry and hard?

Jkelly0204 said:

Jackie

Trust me when I say this: You MUST pull the Lye through!!!! BUT, only if your hair is at least moderately healthy, and wait until it is time for you next touch-up like at least 4 weeks or more, not less than 4 weeks though. When I went to a beautician, she immediately noticed I had a No-Lye, and I complained how my hair will never get really straight. She said because of the properties in the No-Lye won't allow my hair to achieve the results I desired. She immediately suggested a Lye touch up and reassured me that she would have to pull it through. I looked puzzled, but then she explained how my hair would have two different textures if she didn't do it. I am so happy that I did let her do it, that was 6 months ago. Girl, my hair hasn't been this silky since I came outta my momma's womb. I mean there is a huge difference. What she did is this, if you do your touch ups you can do it yourself: She touched up my roots, and right when she got done doing that and before I went to the shampoo bowl, she gobbed the perm on my head and put it all through my hair to the very endsvery quickly, then she immediately had me shampooed. No breakage whatsoever or nothing, my hair is much better off now than before. I notice how silky my hair is compared to before. But remember a pull through is a ONE TIME THING. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
baglady215 said:
I would just focus on the new growth. The theory behind pulling the relaxer through is to remove the calcium buildup of the no-lye relaxer, but I think this does more harm than good. Is your hair suffering from no-lye? Is it really dry and hard?

It has been quite dry.

Jackie

To others and Bailey...this is why I'm trying to find a new lye relaxer.

My hair is dry and doesn't get as straight. It also reverts after 3 weeks. Let's see...I can't really air dry because it gets too puffy. The only reason my hair is strong and continue to grow is because I add light proteins and I moisturize a lot.

Last edited:
jasmin said:
To others and Bailey...this is why I'm trying to find a new lye relaxer.

My hair is dry and doesn't get as straight. It also reverts after 3 weeks. Let's see...I can't really air dry because it gets too puffy. The only reason my hair is strong and continue to grow is because I add light proteins and I moisturize a lot.

Hey Jasmin,

Try the Vitale Life and Body relaxer, the regular/normal one in the white tub, it also contains aloe vera. I think you'll love it. Don't forget to buy the neutralizing shampoo, revive positive conditioner and the super reconstructor conditioner.

They also have a really good hair serum/cuticle smoother called Hair Polish (moisture sealant and provides silky shine). It's not too thick and not too runny, but it makes your hair shine.:D

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Hey Jasmin,

Try the Vitale Life and Body relaxer, the regular/normal one in the white tub, it also contains aloe vera. I think you'll love it. Don't forget to buy the neutralizing shampoo, revive positive conditioner and the super reconstructor conditioner.

They also have a really good hair serum/cuticle smoother called Hair Polish (moisture sealant and provides silky shine). It's not too thick and not too runny, but it makes your hair shine.:D

Thanks Bailey. This is definitely my plan. I'm going to buy all of those products.

Back