Votes: 1 4.0%
  • No always no-lye

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes I have switch between the two

Votes: 20 80.0%

• Total voters

**SaSSy**

3rd Big Chop on 7/18/2016
Wondering when it is safe to switch from a no-lye to a lye, how long of a stretch should be good to prevent damage.

And even the other way around

i switched recently from gentle treatment no lye to affirm lye. I just applied relaxer to my new growth. I havent noticed any problems as of yet. My hair actually looks and feels better but maybe thats because i cut it and got it layered so i dunno lol.

I switched because I had no choice. Where I lived black people were few and far between so no BSS's. The only choice I had was Walmart. I forgot the brand of relaxer but it was two in the box for one price (around $6) It wasn't bad at all. My hair didn't fall out and it did a good job of relaxing. I'm visiting home (plenty of BSS's) and went back to a lye I think the no lye did my hair better but I will give the lye another chance when I retouch.

I switched from no-lye to lye in December 2007 and what I did was a corrective. I applied the lye relaxer to my new growth first for a few minutes and then pulled the relaxer through my ends for the last five or six minutes of the relaxer, then I washed it out. My hair turned out pretty well. My hair is retaining a much better level of moisture now compared to the no-lye relaxer. I am so glad I made this change.

I went from lye to no-lye (DIY) and back to lye. The lye keeps my hair moisturized much better. Much less breakage! I didn't stretch at all between the two.

i did the switch last week and I went my regular 6-8 weeks post and my hair is much more moisterized and I love the mizani sensitive my hair did not burn at all

I switched from Phyto Index 1 (no-lye) to Affirm (lye) this past Fall 07 due to dryness and I am glad I did, my hair is easier to manage and I still texlax it to about 70-80%.:yawn:

I switched from no-lye to lye in December 2007 and what I did was a corrective. I applied the lye relaxer to my new growth first for a few minutes and then pulled the relaxer through my ends for the last five or six minutes of the relaxer, then I washed it out. My hair turned out pretty well. My hair is retaining a much better level of moisture now compared to the no-lye relaxer. I am so glad I made this change.

Well I'm gonna have 2 keep an eye on your progress because this is what I'd like to do. I texturized with ORS no-lye and I wanna switch to Silk Elements Lye (or the ORS Lye been hearing alotta good things) but I wanna texlax. So I need to do a corrective. My hair is wayyyy 2 dry 4 my liking.

Well when it comes to the dryness of relaxers I use precise no-lye and the first time I used it on my virgin hair it was very drying and made my hair break in the first few weeks. Then I started moisturizing my hair twice a day and sealing it with oils so into my 7 to 8th week post my hair was getting stronger.

Now I just got a touch-up which was 10 1/2 weeks post and I use the same relaxer but this time I added EVOO and it was in much better condition then before. No drying, and no breaking.

Well I'm gonna have 2 keep an eye on your progress because this is what I'd like to do. I texturized with ORS no-lye and I wanna switch to Silk Elements Lye (or the ORS Lye been hearing alotta good things) but I wanna texlax. So I need to do a corrective. My hair is wayyyy 2 dry 4 my liking.

You should add some oil to your relaxer base to help with that

You should add some oil to your relaxer base to help with that

I did. Actually I added cocunut oil (maybe 2 much) and them I coated my hair with conditioner. I'm wondering if it just feels dry because it didn't get even the slightest bit straight? When I flatiron or use the curlformers, my hair is moist and soft. But when I wear a wash-n-go.... :perplexed my hair is soooo crunchy and dry. Whatever I put on it is soaked up over night. But when I wear it straight and I moisturize at night, tie it up, it's so moist and soft in the morning. Maybe I'm crazy! :confused:

ORS is a really good brand to use. I did use it a while back but I think my hair resisted it after a few uses but it seems to work well on a lot of the ladies hair on the board. Texlaxing is great - I really like the thickness it's given my hair so far. I will continue to do this because it works for me. I just had to make sure to use protein treatments and deep conditioning because it was my first time texlaxing and I wanted to make sure to protect my hair to minimize/prevent breakage.

I did. Actually I added cocunut oil (maybe 2 much) and them I coated my hair with conditioner. I'm wondering if it just feels dry because it didn't get even the slightest bit straight? When I flatiron or use the curlformers, my hair is moist and soft. But when I wear a wash-n-go.... :perplexed my hair is soooo crunchy and dry. Whatever I put on it is soaked up over night. But when I wear it straight and I moisturize at night, tie it up, it's so moist and soft in the morning. Maybe I'm crazy! :confused:

I don't wear wash n go's so I couldn't help you here.

Back