Switching from no-lye to lye........what was your experience?

Cowgirl

I switched from Affirm no-lye to Affirm lye (mild). I had my touchup done on the 5th. The first 3 or 4 days I had no problems at all. Hair was shiny, bouncy, and was only losing 5 to 10 strands a day. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Now 9 days later, I'm breaking like crazy. I've been using the new bone combs and moisturizing with a mixture of (Infusium 23, Headress & Coconut Oil). My hair does not look or feel dry at all. But I'm afraid to comb it because it's coming out in handfuls /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Did anyone else experience this when switching from no-lye to lye????? If so, how long did it take to stop?

A good friend in the states is going to ship me some Emergencee but it will probably take a week to get here. I may not have any hair left by then. /images/graemlins/angry2.gif

Oh my...so sorry to hear about that. I had been getting Precise no-lye perms and switched to Affrim lye in July. The most noticeable difference was that my hair was not NEARLY as straight. but seemed more moisturized.

I'm sorry cowgirl, I was getting ready to do the same thing my next touchup, right now I'm using no lye Affirm. Why did you decide to switch?

My last relaxer I switched from a no-lye to affirm fiberguard lye. I didn't have any problems except like nicki my hair wasn't as straight but it was more moisturized. I did do a deep conditioning about 5 days after the relaxer.

How often are you using the Infusium? Infusium is not compatible with my hair at all. It tends to make my hair brittle and hard to comb. If you're using it daily, it might be too much for your hair.

When I switched from no-lye to lye, I didn't have any complaints. My hair did not process as fast, it was shinier, and retained more of it's natural color instead of turning red. My friend just recently made the switch from African Pride no-lye to Motions mild lye. Her hair is so much thicker now than it was with the no-lye. It looks 10 times better.

I didn't have a problem. I went to a salon for a relaxer and they gave me Hawaiin Silky No-Lye. /images/graemlins/whip.gif The following relaxers were done with Affirm Lye regular. I didn't have any problems. I say do the Emergencee once a week followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner until the hair feels stronger. After that, then do it every 6 weeks or so. Too much of that Infusium can cause breakage. That's why I mix my Infusium Original formula with their moisturizing formula. HTH

When I switched to lye in june I did have some shedding/breakage start last month. I started using affirm 5 in 1 weekly and it helped alot HTH /images/graemlins/Rose.gif

sorry this is happening, cowgirl! ANY hair loss is really traumatic. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

i haven't noticed a difference since switching from Dark & Lovely No Lye to Affirm Lye Regular. did the same person apply both? i ask because i'm wondering if they left it on longer or applied it differently or something.

definitely try the protein, and see if that helps...

Thanks ladies. O.k. can't get the Nexxus Emergencee, customs will not let it through /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The same person who always does my relaxers did this one also. And my hair was doing great right after the relaxer so I had to sit down and do some deductive reasoning. /images/graemlins/brainy.gif

The first three days after my perm the only thing I used was a little Nex Headress morning & night before tying up with satin scarf.

Since that bottle of Headress cost me $19.00 dollars I was trying to figure out a way to moisturize daily without using it up so fast. So in comes the Infusium 23 (original formula). I mixed 1/3 bottle of Infusium with Headress & coconut oil and was using that twice a day to moisturize.

I think y'all are right on target about the daily use of Infusium. I washed and deep conditioned last night with the NTM Recovery Mask mixed with Coconut oil. Left that on for 2 hours because I have no heat in the hotel except my tiny travel blow dryer. After I rinsed, air dryed and detangled I still lost quite a bit of hair. But I think this was hair that was already damaged/fried by the Infusium. Then I blowdried for about 3 minutes on low heat just to straiten it a bit and tied it up for the night.

This morning I combed into a ponytail and put it in a bun. And I only lost about 6 or 7 strands. I will stick with just the Headress & a little coconut oil and see what happens over the next few days.

BTW - thanks to those who have recommended the coconut oil. This stuff makes my hair so cottony soft. Does much better on me than the EVOO. I've actually started putting it on my face before I get in the shower. By the time I wash my face and get out of the shower my face is as soft & smooth as a babies bottom. And it stays like that all day. /images/graemlins/babyg.gif

Might I ask why you switched?

[ QUOTE ]
I switched from Affirm no-lye to Affirm lye (mild). I had my touchup done on the 5th. The first 3 or 4 days I had no problems at all. Hair was shiny, bouncy, and was only losing 5 to 10 strands a day. /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Now 9 days later, I'm breaking like crazy. I've been using the new bone combs and moisturizing with a mixture of (Infusium 23, Headress & Coconut Oil). My hair does not look or feel dry at all. But I'm afraid to comb it because it's coming out in handfuls /images/graemlins/cry3.gif

Did anyone else experience this when switching from no-lye to lye????? If so, how long did it take to stop?

A good friend in the states is going to ship me some Emergencee but it will probably take a week to get here. I may not have any hair left by then. /images/graemlins/angry2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
from Audra:
Might I ask why you switched?

[/ QUOTE ]

Audra, I switched because my hair seemed to stay dry all the time. No matter how much moisturizing I did or with what it just seemed dry and lifeless. So from researching the board threads, it appeard the majority of folks were saying that no-lye was better for the scalp, but more drying on the hair. Where as lye was harsher on the scalp but less drying on the hair. So that's mainly why I switched.

Minus the excess breakage that was happening a few days ago, I can tell the difference in the moisture & texture of my hair. It doesn't feel or look hard & dry anymore. It's actually soft and pliable. /images/graemlins/up.gif

Back