• No relaxers grow out they dont sweat out

Votes: 144 84.2%
  • I have no clue

Votes: 18 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UGQueen

Ok ladies im kinda confused.
The girls that live next door to me came by yesterday and their hair was looking on point. They just came back from the salon and they both had gotten fresh relaxers.
So I asked her what she had done to her hair and how much did it cost (only out of curiousity since im transitioning) she said she relaxed and set for 45,
im like "relaxed?? your hair looked fine last time i seen you" (two or three days).
she said "i sweated that relaxer out after all these parties we have been to, so i needed a touch up"
i never said anything after that,

but my question is, can a person really sweat out their relaxer? because doesnt the relaxer just grow out and not sweat out? unless the hair is underprocessed ofcourse but other than that IMO i just think people are too quick to run and get relaxers.
should she just have gone to the salon and got a wash and set?

:lachen:She shoulda just gotten a wash n roller-rap,:lachen:. You can not sweat a relaxer out:nono:. you can however make it less pin straight, if it is under-proccessed, by sweating, getting it wet, etc. Your neighbor's not too educated on haircare.:look:

Relaxer is chemical process, the hair can not revert even if sweat. What i do believe is that the hair grows faster in a hot weather/summer, the scientist said that too.

Maybe her hair was underprocess too, and it was well styled but when she sweated, the hair looked as it was a lot of NG.

I agree. I used to think that I would "sweat out" my relaxer by working out a few days after a touch up. I have since realized that I was underprocessed and that the reversion occurred because of the moisture.

It took me 10 years to realize that my hair wasn't pin straight because I was always underprocessed. After that realization, I decided to transition and I'm almost 13 months post now.

Methinks that was just an excuse - they just wanted to get a touch up. A very poor excuse at that. :rolleyes:

I've heard that term before and it's false. Relaxers brake the bonds in your hair so there's no way you can "sweat" it out. You can cut it out, since once you relaxed it's permanent. I think people get it confused becuase they think that frizz is your hair "reverting". Your hair can still get frizzy even when you have a relaxer and getting a touch up is a big no no. She is going to over process for sure.

The term itself is a fallacy, but it is all about perception. I technically "know" that I can't sweat a relaxer out, but after working out really hard for a few days, I "feel" like I need a touch up.

That term is about what you perceive. Not reality.

YOU CANNOT SWEAT OUT A RELAXER. As others stated it may "feel" like you need one. Salt from sweat can make hair more textured as can accumulated dirt. Texture reversion caused by the moisture and sweat can do this...but the hair is still processed. I wish Black women had more hair care information. This is sad. Her poor hair!

thanks for all the responses ladies,
see that is what i thought but i wasnt completly sure,

i feel for her hair tho, cause both of my neighbours have gorgeous hair
they are both freshman so with this partying that they are planning on doing they will need a touch up every two weeks. lol

i feel for her hair tho, cause both of my neighbours have gorgeous hair
they are both freshman so with this partying that they are planning on doing they will need a touch up every two weeks. lol

What about some studying? Ooops did I say that?

Most girls who were worried about sweating out their perms freshman year, they didn't have to worry about it sophomore year cuz they weren't there.

I just responded in another thread where it was asked how long do you wait after a relaxer to wash your hair?

Folks are scared to wash their hair after a relaxer? Yall put a time limit on it or something like the chemical is still trying to "set" or something?

WASH YOUR HAIR! A lot of us still need educating on this hair thing.

Well if sweating out a relaxer means it reverts but its still processed well then I think its possible. My friend who is 3C, her hair like completely reverts everytime she gets it wet and once it dries its still curly as if she was natural. My other friend who is a 4a has this problem too. Me on the other hand when my hair is wet its still straight but after awhile of going without a relaxer some parts of my hair revert and I have like ringlets..but this only happens in the back of my head & no its not new growth. Plus after I wash my hair (like 4 days after relaxer day) it looks NOTHING like it did on relaxer day..It looks like I need another relaxer.

Well if sweating out a relaxer means it reverts but its still processed well then I think its possible. My friend who is 3C, her hair like completely reverts everytime she gets it wet and once it dries its still curly as if she was natural. My other friend who is a 4a has this problem too. Me on the other hand when my hair is wet its still straight but after awhile of going without a relaxer some parts of my hair revert and I have like ringlets..but this only happens in the back of my head & no its not new growth. Plus after I wash my hair (like 4 days after relaxer day) it looks NOTHING like it did on relaxer day..It looks like I need another relaxer.

couldnt that just be because you are not relaxed bone straight and neither is your friend`?

cause back in the day when i was relaxed bone straight no matter what i did i wouldnt have any curls in my hair but for the last couple years i never relax bone striaght and because of that when my hair is wet it gets wavy.

Some may consider this to be semantics but the definition of reversion is to return to a previous condition. The "previous condition" would be UNRELAXED. If the hair was reverting then the relaxed portion would need to be re-relaxed. A touchup should not be applying relaxer to the previously relaxed hair, it should be processing the new growth -- which was NEVER relaxed.

If hair is not relaxed 100% (which should not be done) then when water/sweat/moisture impacts it the result likely will be frizzy, or at least it will not have the same appearance of straightness that would result from flatironing or setting or something designed to completely straighten it.

Bedazzled: is your 3C friend bonelaxed, or texlaxed? She sounds texlaxed.

Some people say they aren't texlaxed because that wasn't their goal. Texlaxing is deliberate underprocessing. Accidental underprocessing technically could still be texlaxing - it just doesn't get called that.

Last edited:
I always thought you could sweat out your relaxer because back when I was in high school I ran track. I had got my hair done a week earlier and we had a really hard practice the next week and my hair had almost completely reverted back. I even came home and washed it and had my friend attempt to flat iron and it wouldnt even straighten! It wasn't until my next relaxer when everything was straight again.

I just responded in another thread where it was asked how long do you wait after a relaxer to wash your hair?

Folks are scared to wash their hair after a relaxer? Yall put a time limit on it or something like the chemical is still trying to "set" or something?

WASH YOUR HAIR! A lot of us still need educating on this hair thing.

Back in my relaxing days I put off washing my hair as long as I could, b/c I could NEVER get it to look as good at home as my stylist did. Just the way some people say their getting a "perm" when they get a relaxer, some people say their "sweating it out" when it's the style, not the straightness that changes.

I always thought you could sweat out your relaxer because back when I was in high school I ran track. I had got my hair done a week earlier and we had a really hard practice the next week and my hair had almost completely reverted back. I even came home and washed it and had my friend attempt to flat iron and it wouldnt even straighten! It wasn't until my next relaxer when everything was straight again.

You were most likely UNDERprocessed. I relaxed bone straight all my life and never had an issue.

I'm assuming your stylist got it straight-looking that day with a rollerset and/or HEAT and then as soon as you get some sweat, it reverted b/c you weren't really relaxed "properly". UNDERprocessed.

Back in my relaxing days I put off washing my hair as long as I could, b/c I could NEVER get it to look as good at home as my stylist did. Just the way some people say their getting a "perm" when they get a relaxer, some people say their "sweating it out" when it's the style, not the straightness that changes.

Well yeah, no one wants to compromise their STYLE, but I knew that when I washed my hair, it wasn't going to get revert or sprout NG for a few weeks.

But being afraid to wash it b/c you feel its gonna revert back to the day you stepped into the salon?:ohwell: With 8 weeks of NG sprouting back up again?

I never understood the whole "sweating out a relaxer" thing my friends never said that and I never said that although I heard it on TV shows before we all are quite sporty so never once heard it before.

My sis once said to me she didn't want to wash her hair too often since she didn't want to wash out her relaxer and make her hair revert back to natural. BUt its permanent like a hair dye is permanent

I dont think u can sweat a relaxer out. But, I do think that that under extreme heat like from working out for example. Would cause that nice smooth experience to go away and kinda like puff out. However, that aint nothing that a good Dc and a flat iron cant fix.:spinning:

Well yeah, no one wants to compromise their STYLE, but I knew that when I washed my hair, it wasn't going to get revert or sprout NG for a few weeks.

But being afraid to wash it b/c you feel its gonna revert back to the day you stepped into the salon?:ohwell: With 8 weeks of NG sprouting back up again?

i agree completly,
i remember in highschool girls wouldnt wash their hair for weeks

and would call me wanna b white girl, when i washed my hair every four days.. :lachen:ignorance i tell you
'til this day i get the same comments

You were most likely UNDERprocessed. I relaxed bone straight all my life and never had an issue.

I'm assuming your stylist got it straight-looking that day with a rollerset and/or HEAT and then as soon as you get some sweat, it reverted b/c you weren't really relaxed "properly". UNDERprocessed.

Exactly. And those UNDERprocessed heads out there will see the reversion almost right away. I know a lot of "box" perms with "no lye" leave hair underprocessed.

When I relaxed the bolded was me. I did feel like I sweated out my relaxer (the straight hair look). I never knew that I underprocessed or was what is called texalaxed. My hair always looked the same and it never stayed straight. That's why I decided to stop doing it - waste of money.

I'd say that you probably didn't relax bone straight :yep: I truly believe that relaxing bone straight is the most damaging to curly hair anyway so I personally wouldn't recommend it. But no, relaxed hair cannot revert to it's original curly state. Also, don't expect your relaxed hair to look like you just came out of the salon once you wash it, unless you're doing the same stuff and using the same products and technique that the stylists are doing.

Back