Surgery, Anesthesia, and Shedding

Lavendar

Hi Ladies,

I just had surgery yesterday and had to have general anesthesia. If I recall correctly, I think this makes my hair really shed. Unfortunately, since this is an internal process, I don't think there is much I can do about it other than wait it out. I was wondering if any of you have ever had this happen and what, if anything, did you do about it?:perplexed

I've definitely had this problem. My hair was at armpit length when I had my gall bladder removed, then three months later I had surgery done on my foot. The anesthesia in my system really did a number on my hair. I ended up w/ a chin length bob, and it was thin to boot. I went to my dermatolgist and he gave me a B12 shot, which helped a little.

This was all before finding LHCF. Although, the anesthesia did not help my hair, I definitely did not care for it the way I do now. I may have been ok if I had stayed away from heat, deep conditioned etc... I think you should be fine as long as you are taking your vitamins, watching your diet and treating your hair w/ tlc. Good luck, and I hope you are feeling well.

I read somewhere that epidurals caused hair loss... Because after both my babies, my edges fell out BALD. I had always thought it was the hormones. Guess not. Interesting...

I had surgery in December 2003. My hair didn't shed any more than usual. My niece braided my , and I kept my hair braided for about two weeks.

Allandra said:
I had surgery in December 2003. My hair didn't shed any more than usual. My niece braided my , and I kept my hair braided for about two weeks.

Same here. I had surgery December 2006. My hair is doing it's usual thing.

I had surgery recently and was under local anesthesia and I haven't noticed any extra shedding. Maybe it's b/c i only had local instead of general, though.

sareca said:
Same here. I had surgery December 2006. My hair is doing it's usual thing.

Same here too. I had surgery in summer of 2005 and no shedding. It could still be possible though.

NoNapNique said:
I read somewhere that epidurals caused hair loss... Because after both my babies, my edges fell out BALD. I had always thought it was the hormones. Guess not. Interesting...

I was told by my doctor and actually researched this, that it is hormonal...also your hair is not shedding like normal during your pregnancy. About 3 mos. after childbirth all the shedding that didn't take place during your pregnancy comes out all at once, well over a 3 mos to 1 year time frame. It's called postpartum shedding. You should research it too. It is common to lose a great amount of thickness around the edges. Also, this same process sometimes happens after you stop taking birth control pills (it happen to me).

Last edited:
LadyJ76 said:
I've definitely had this problem. My hair was at armpit length when I had my gall bladder removed, then three months later I had surgery done on my foot. The anesthesia in my system really did a number on my hair. I ended up w/ a chin length bob, and it was thin to boot. I went to my dermatolgist and he gave me a B12 shot, which helped a little.

This was all before finding LHCF. Although, the anesthesia did not help my hair, I definitely did not care for it the way I do now. I may have been ok if I had stayed away from heat, deep conditioned etc... I think you should be fine as long as you are taking your vitamins, watching your diet and treating your hair w/ tlc. Good luck, and I hope you are feeling well.

Yes, this has happened to me in the past. I am praying that now that I am taking vitamins and am taking much better care of my hair that the result will be different this time. I will request a B12 shot at my dr. appt next week; couldn't hurt. I am encouraged that Sareca and Allandra had better experiences; thanks ladies. And thanks for the well wishes ladies!

I would try taking the herb Milk Thistle. When I had surgery, I had this herb ready, lots of protein and I forgot what else. You should read the section on pre-paring/recovering from surgery in the book "Prescription For Nutritional Healing."

Back