Support thread for CONSTANT shedders

I have been a chronic shedder for years and have tried MANY different things to abate it. Let's see:scratchch

Alter Ego Cren
Queen Helene garlic shampoo
Nexxus Emergencee
Aphogee reconstructor
Motions CPR
cinnamon oil
..and probably a few more that I can't remember. None of these stopped or even slowed it down:sad:

On a positive note, it hasn't hampered my growth or given me bald spots, so I've decided that this must be 'normal' for me:ohwell:

I found a few things that work at various times.

Nizoral shampoo really helps, but quickly become immune. So I use Nizoral for 2 washes then garlic poo for 2 washes.

Salerm placenta leave in is the best treatment I've ever used but someone said it might cause cancer.

Alter ego Cren, just started to use it and it seems to help.

Keraphix con also helps tremendously.

Internally:

Iron lots of it.
L-Lysine
B-complex liquid
ZInc

HTH someone

Oh my gosh i so needed this thread. My hair sheds constantly. I just touch it and it comes out. I didn't know what to do.

I thought it was just me. I am shedding and breaking. I tried Aphogee this past weekend with terrifying results. I thought I washed it out completely. I even washed my hair after. I roller set it and when I was realized that I couldn't comb it, which caused even more breakage. Two weeks ago my hair was full, now it looks like a freakin birds nest. Someone must have the insight on how to stop this. Not so much the shedding, but the breakage. Please help. :wallbash:

I was experiencing the exact same problem as everyone else...EXCESSIVE SHEDDING!!! Aaaagh! Mine started after using some EVOO and I guess my hair hates that crap. I was losing so much hair, it looked like it was falling out. Hairs were coming out by the strands!!! I was so worried and desperate. Then, I remembered that I had not deep conditioned in awhile, so I used an ORS Replenishing Pak, got under the dryer for 20 minutes and it halted the shedding. Now, my shedding is "back to normal."

Thank goodness for this thread as I am a big shedder as well. I can't stand it. I'm always cleaning the bathroom sink and floor of shedded strands. Lots of great suggestions. I am a big Nexxus fan and will see if Keraphix will help slow it down.

I just read this whole thread I'm a constant shedder too and it is starting to get annoying. I'm going to try the B12 and Garlic Shampoo and see if this helps.

Keraphix con also helps tremendously.

Internally:

Iron lots of it.
L-Lysine
B-complex liquid
ZInc

HTH someone

Great reminder!

I've heard about the benefits of iron. :yep:

I'm trying to eat healthy these days but I still don't think I'm getting enough iron. I take a B-complex supplement every once in a while. I need to read my labels to see if any of my stash has lysine to help with iron absorption.

i was going through the shedding thing for a while until i read the post about combing the hair with creamy leave-in causing shedding. she stated that if you let it disolve a little that there is less shedding. worked for me. i know for me, i can't comb/detangle my hair with conditioner in it at all because that's when i get the major shedding. i noticed a lot of you said that you get your shedding most while trying to detangle. if you are detangling with cond., you may want to give that some thought. i detangle my hair with no product in it after washing.
After reading your post last week, I decided to give this a try.

After I shampooed my hair, I applied conditioner, and I did not detangle. Instead of using my creamy leave in (Salerm 21), I used my liquid leave in (Pantene Detangle Light Spray Conditioner) and detangled my hair. I had way less shedding. I was absolutely shocked. :shocked: I'm going to try this again the next time I shampoo / condition my hair. I'll be sure o post my results in this thread.

This is good to know because I get the majority of my shedding/breakage when I detangle. I don't detangle with conditioner though...never have. But I always detangle before I wet the hair because I'm a natural and my hair won't hesitate to lock-up on me.:ohwell: I'm AMAZED at some of these 4a/b naturals that don't lose any hair on wash day. I usually loose a palm full of hair (easily). I'm thinking about trying that garlic poo....

This is good to know because I get the majority of my shedding/breakage when I detangle. I don't detangle with conditioner though...never have. But I always detangle before I wet the hair because I'm a natural and my hair won't hesitate to lock-up on me.:ohwell: I'm AMAZED at some of these 4a/b naturals that don't lose any hair on wash day. I usually loose a palm full of hair (easily). I'm thinking about trying that garlic poo....
I always make sure my hair is detangled prior to wetting it. I don't have excessive shedding, but I did notice that I had less shedding when using a liquid leave in vs. a creamy leave in.

I always make sure my hair is detangled prior to wetting it. I don't have excessive shedding, but I did notice that I had less shedding when using a liquid leave in vs. a creamy leave in.
After you apply the leave-in, do you detangle while the hair is still wet?

Ive been shedding so much lately too!!! I cant stand this!!! :wallbash:
Ive been taken my supplements but ive been slack on eating protein :ohwell:
This might be a factor so im getting back on it ..if that dont work then ill try the garlic poos...
Or maybe cus im almost 10 week post :scratchch it started around 7-8 weeks post...maybe this is why ....im trying to transition but if after eating my protein and the garlic poo if it still persist Im slappin a relaxer back in ASAP :fistshake:

:lachen:@ the green smiley! How cute!

I'm trying to transition also. I was thinking the same thing as far as the relaxer goes. However, I am terrified that I will be bald if I relax with all this shedding. :perplexed:wallbash:

Never been a shedder until this past weekend. I don't know if it was the pre-poo coconut oil with heat cap,the conditioner pooing, my sulfur oil mix or the shampoo with Creme of Nature afterward but something went koo-koo. I searched as many shedding threads as possible. I read the one about Deity of America Plant products so used my sample shampoo and the shedding, breakage whatever stopped. I went out yesterday..bought conditioner and poo. I used the conditioner on wet hair...shedding/breakage did not happen....I cannot definitely say if it was shedding or breakage because I did not inspect the strands {too :look::nono:scared}. The frustrating thing is I cannot say exactly where the hair was coming from just that my hands sliding from crown to roots yielded long strands and lots of hairs. Really crazy...my hair just above my ears going toward the back is the only place which now "looks" ragged.

This is a great discussion, one of the reasons why I initially signed up for LHCF (aside from a friend's recommendation). :yep:

I am also suffering from shedding and it's pretty bad. Like some of the ladies on the thread, my hair grows pretty fast so I wasn't really worried before because it kept growing and kept it's thickness. As of late, I noticed that my hair seems to be noticeably thinning and I am a little nervous. Despite the thinning my hair is still growing :grin: AND shedding:wallbash:.

I have been using a relaxer for the past 7 years and I visit the hair salon weekly. I get a wash & set, and a blow out after. I am concerned about the amount of heat I use on a weekly basis and think that it may be a contributing factor to the shedding. I also believe that it may be the relaxer I am using - I starting using AFFIRM (mild relaxer) about 8 -10 months ago and I noticed that the shedding picked up a bit (before AFFIRM, I was using OPTIMUM-Mild). Someone told me that AFFIRM relaxers are for "people with coarse hair types", is that true? (I do apologize, I am new LHCF and I am not familiar with the hair type codes). My friend from LHCF says that I have 3b/3c type hair (??), whatever that means. I do think that it may be way too strong, since I am not quite ready to go natural, can anyone suggest a relaxer that is not too harsh and will not cause breakage or shedding??

Thanks to all of you, now I have a list of about 8 products that I am looking to try. I think the Queen Helene or Alter Ego garlic poo sounds promising and the follicure hair vitamins. Thanks for the recommendations!

I will keep you posted or any progress.

I have major shedding/breakage... I am now using Scurl and a misting with JBCO and water throughout the day... HTH... I need a relaxer an I am getting one Thursday... I can not wait.... Hope I can keep this shedding/breakage at bay until then.... NO MORE STRETCHING PAST 7 WEEKS FOR ME:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:... I have learned my lesson... LORD forgive me:yep:

:lachen:@ the green smiley! How cute!

I'm trying to transition also. I was thinking the same thing as far as the relaxer goes. However, I am terrified that I will be bald if I relax with all this shedding. :perplexed:wallbash:

:grin: I know isnt it cute it realy expressed how i was feelin about this damn shedding thing...
Well i broke down and slapped that relaxer in cuz the shedding was startin to scare me and guess what....
way less shedding .. even a week later at wash way less shedding and it had only been 10 weeks
Now im scared to even try to transition again :ohwell: ..oh well ive been natural and relaxed on and off for years i guess ill just stick to relaxer for now.

I can not wait to relax, I know mine will quiet down once it is relaxed... I will never go 8 weeks again... My hair can not take it... Breakage every where
:wallbash: :cry: :cry2: :nuts: :angry2: :swearing: :gotroasted: :bricks: :nono2: :pity: :burnup: :spike:

:thatsall:

I've learned my lesson...

I have been shedding bad as well... Just recently stopped COMPLETELY when I used dark and lovely ultra cholesterol. I used to do the whole head baggy as well and it seems to cause the shedding. I am shedding alot less now that I stopped baggying my whole head and detangling under the shower.

Courtesy of hair_wit_favor:(sorry, I don't know how to quote into a new thread)...........

Talking Breakage has slowed up A BUNCH!!!
Hey ladies, I just wanted to announce that after using Natural Biotin Shampoo by j/a/s/o/n and also dc'ing with their thin-to-thick biotin conditioner the breakage I was experiencing has slowed down a whole bunch...I'm so excited!

I dont know what ingredient that's in it that made it stop, but it really has helped me and you better know I'll keep it as a staple.

I can not wait to relax, I know mine will quiet down once it is relaxed... I will never go 8 weeks again... My hair can not take it... Breakage every where
:wallbash: :cry: :cry2: :nuts: :angry2: :swearing: :gotroasted: :bricks: :nono2: :pity: :burnup: :spike:

:thatsall:

I've learned my lesson...

Can someone please explain how needing a touch-up causes shedding?...I've never quite understood that. I can understand the breakage part, though.

Sooooo... I tried the garlic poo and it worked. I used the Queen Helene Garlic poo. I followed the directions and I noticed WAY less shedding. :yep:

I had a hard time finding the poo. I went to about 5 BSS stores. I thought I would never find it. Thank you ladies.

Oh...I also did a aphogee treatment. Maybe that stopped the shedding.

Last edited:
I need help... I have naturally red hair and it is thick. I tend to shed all the time. my hair sucks up whatever I put in it. What can i use to keep my hair moisturized and keep it from falling out?

Still shedding, but I know the culprit...my scalp dermatitis. I have tight dry scalp that is sore and itchy (anybody who has eczema, just imagine it on your scalp). And I equate my condition to the old adage about mommas, when the scalp ain't happy, the hair ain't happy. I see the derm in a week and a half and hopefully I can get it under control.

Wow. That sounds identical to how my scalp gets and yes I have eczema on my back. I have been using Head& shoulders for the last 2 months or so and I have seen a significant reduction in shedding!

wow girlies i didnt know anyone else experience this...let me tell you, my hair is almost BSL and I've experienced this almost constantly at times.

I had to clip 7-9 inches within the last year and a half due to the shedding. If it werent for that, I'd be at waist length I know.

This is what affected me and I so hope it helps someone else.

1. Anxiety. I found out there's a chemical imbalance for anxiety and although it didnt feel THAT bad at the time, I forgot to take my medicine for anxiety for about...say 3 weeks and my stuff was falling out like i was sick ! I started back taking this med and viola' ! A lil above ave shedding. Now, thats been happening cause....

2. Going to bed LATE or not getting all of my sleep. Either one of these make my hair shed more.

3. Stressing out about a little of nothing. Worrying or anything else. I'm trying to work less and socialize more, stay close to God and pray and meditate in the morn when i rise, night when i lie down, and throughout the day. Also, take work breaks.

4. Iron. I have large fibroids and they've been trying to drain a sista's blood ! lol. I take Rx iron pills and drink high Vit C to help it enter in the blood easier.

5. B vits. With all that stuff above, it tolls the body and therefore eats up my b vits in my sys. Stress does that. I now take a b supplement.

Ladies, I hope this helps ! :rolleyes: Mine have slowed down trememendously. I'm adhering to what I said, probably 60% of the time. I'm trying to manage life better.
BINGO! I just shared this in a PM with another sister here. Everything you just said. Mainly managing stress by working on building a close relationship with God is the key for me.

Bless you w/ the fibroids my mom had them and they really took a toll. I've read a lot about healthy eating to help shrink them.

Last edited:
Back