Summer Highlights!!! Any Advice?? (Relaxed)

Cincysweetie

Hello!

I'm lightening my hair for the summer to a shade of honey blonde. I'm also relaxed. In the past I did the golden blonde highlights and I ended up damaging my hair (this was before I found hair boards and learned how to properly care for my hair). My hair appointment is one week from Saturday (tomorrow). Over the last few weeks I've been deep conditioning my hair, wearing protective styles (usually a bun), using no heat, and keep my hair moisturized. What else can I do to get my hair ready for the color, and what can I do to keep my hair healthy AFTER the color? And, would you all recommend a protein treatment before or after the chemical treatment? TIA!

Do a porosity control treatment before you color so that you application will be more consistent in color. As far as afterwards, make sure you do a protien treatment. Search for Tracys Color Bootcamp for other helpful tips. Protein and moisture are extremly important for colored relaxed hair. I love color too.

Gymfreak...it's too late!!!

I had to make a decision so I shampooed with this new moisturizing shampoo and followed up with an ApHogee treatment and a new moisturizing conditioner. :ohwell:

I thought about the porosity control after the fact. :ohwell: I guess a couple weeks after the color treatment I'll follow up with reconstructive conditioner.

Thanks BreBre for the positive thoughts! I hope it turns out nice...I'm getting kinda nervous, ha idk why!!

Cincysweetie said:
Gymfreak...it's too late!!!

I had to make a decision so I shampooed with this new moisturizing shampoo and followed up with an ApHogee treatment and a new moisturizing conditioner. :ohwell:

I thought about the porosity control after the fact. :ohwell: I guess a couple weeks after the color treatment I'll follow up with reconstructive conditioner.

Thanks BreBre for the positive thoughts! I hope it turns out nice...I'm getting kinda nervous, ha idk why!!

You obviously know how to look after your hair, it's gorgeous already,:) just remember to up your protein usage and you'll be just fine, can't wait to see pics. Off to find your fotki......

You have a lovely head of hair. I wish you well with your new color. Make sure to really pamper your hair with deep conditionings, protein treatments, etc. Keep us posted.

hothair said:
You obviously know how to look after your hair, it's gorgeous already,:) just remember to up your protein usage and you'll be just fine, can't wait to see pics. Off to find your fotki......

Exactly what she said!! Your hair is a beautiful shade already and already looks healthy, so it's in a good state to start with. Just remember to continue to do what you've been doing (plus the protein treatments) and you will be fine.........

Oh yeah, we really do want to see pics!!

BB:)

Oooohhh!! Good luck Cincy! I can't wait to see how it turns out...I upped my deep conditioning game after I got highlights. I see a few ladies said to use more protein, maybe I should do that too :look:

You have gotten great advice so far! I would have to say that you should stay on top of your deep conditioning and protein. Your hair looks beautiful and healthy in your siggy!! Keep us posted on your results. :)

Well i remember last summer when i got my highlights my stylist told me
that after applying my streaks, she put a rinse similier to it over it. Said something like it seals the cuticles to prevent dryness. She told me that that's why after some people get color, when they first wash their hair they experience severe dryness, damaged hair. You could research that, i don't know. All i know is that my hair came out wonderful and i didn't experience dryness/breakage.

Back