suggestions please

nychaelasymone

Hi ladies,

I just tried my hand at strectching my relaxer....I'm almost 8 weeks but my hair is breaking. I decided I'd just get a touch up next Wednesday but what can I do to curb the breakage. I have some shedding but mostly breakage. My hair is too short for an up do and right now, I'm just wrapping....but I don't even want to comb my hair. My roots are evil right now...okay I take that back....I love all this new growth....but I'm still learning how to effectively stretch.... n e on e have n e suggestions....please and thank you.

Oh....I used Qhemets amla oil on my scalp (bout every 3-4 days) and each night I've been applying Mizani's H20 night cream.......I try not to manipulate my hair much....

I want longer hair and that can't happen if it's breaking.

Do you need suggestions to assist a longer stretch or to stop the breakage? For a longer stretch in future, perhaps you should consider getting braids at some point during the stretch if your hair can handle it. That's how I conquered my first 14 week stretch. I found that minimal manipulation was the only way forward. I'm sure the other good ladies on this site can offer more advice. Good luck!

To combat breakage. I can't really do braids or weaves. Hmmmm I wonder if n e one here has been really successful in growing their hair out longer and healthier while still getting regular touch-ups.

I am at 17 weeks right now, this is my longest stretch, I find as long as you can keep the newgrowth soft, that is half the battle, I use NTM on my newgrowth I do a section at a time using a rat tail to part with, then go back and apply shea butter, or coconut oil to seal in the mositure, I then wear a bun or half wig, I want to touch up however I don't trust my stylist anymore, and do not have the courage to do it myself yet, the idea is to not let your hair get dry, HTH

Less manipulation = Less breakage
Don't comb your hair dry
Don't wrap your hair
Moisturize your new growth and your relaxed ends

I feel your pain. I'm in the exact same boat. I'm @12 weeks maybe 14 or 15. I can't quite remember exact I know it was before the end of June because I wanted slick hair for fourth of July in case we went to water park.
But I noticed last week and this week has been particularly rough. I found tangled hair :eek: that broke off twice today and it's because I am not combing/ manipulating. It was literally in a knot. I believe in order to help me stretch I will have to do cornrows about the 9th week and wear for 3 weeks. I do know the shorter the hair is the harder to stretch. I would have given myself 10 but I just wanted to see if I could make it to 12 and I can but next time I'll need some help with braids.

To stretch longer with no breakage, I would co-wash my hair three times a week, let it air dry, then either roller set it or comb it (while it the shower) back into a ponytail to wear as a bun for a couple of days to a week and then repeat. Co-washing is the only thing that has allowed me to stretch for ten to twelve weeks.

Back