Successful Hair Journeys for those living in the deep freeze?

I was told the winters in South Korea get so cold that it makes u wanna punch ppl in the face for no reason lol. I won't be there til late Feb so i think im missing the worst of it. By the time i do get to experience the cold i'll be able to wear protective styles comfortably. Hopefully i can get my hands on some hair butters cuz they will definitely be a staple in my regi while im overseas.

I'm from Pittsburgh and thought it was cold there until I moved to Wisconsin. I was very VERY wrong! My first winter here took me by surprise as to how dry cold air really can be. I learned more pre-poos, less cowashing/week, keeping my hair stretched more often and using castor oil has really helped combat the -20F windchills that are all too common up here.

hi,
I live in Quebec (CANADA) and i have to say that the weather isn't doing us any favor. The main problem comes from the fact that we don't have a really constant temperture. For example, yesterday the weather was at 7 degrees Celcius and today, we're having a snow storm and it's around -16 degrees celcius!!! Alot of times, my skin face just cracks because of the weather even if it's well moisturised (yep the kind of cold that would make your teeth hurt if u dare to breathe through the mouth...). When that happen, i can only imagine what damage the cold is doing to my hair.

The only thing I found was kind of helping was DCing 3 times per week + moisturise and seal wilt olive oil morning and night+ make sure that my hair is COMPLETELY DRY before I go out there. The weather is the main reason why I get easily discouraged with growing out my hair. Even my own hairstylist told me that the weather is what's holding us of retaining as much lenght as we could. I just do the best I can. My hair does grow but really slow and I noticed that my ends are healthier ever since I switched to olive oil.

I live in New York and here nothing comes in moderation. If it's gonna be hot, it'll VERY hot. If it's gonna be cold, it'll hit you SO hard.

I dunno if you know, but Sunshyne from Hairlista lives in Canada, her hair is past BSL I think, and it's thick and healthy too!

hi,
I live in Quebec (CANADA) and i have to say that the weather isn't doing us any favor. The main problem comes from the fact that we don't have a really constant temperture. For example, yesterday the weather was at 7 degrees Celcius and today, we're having a snow storm and it's around -16 degrees celcius!!! Alot of times, my skin face just cracks because of the weather even if it's well moisturised (yep the kind of cold that would make your teeth hurt if u dare to breathe through the mouth...). When that happen, i can only imagine what damage the cold is doing to my hair.

The only thing I found was kind of helping was DCing 3 times per week + moisturise and seal wilt olive oil morning and night+ make sure that my hair is COMPLETELY DRY before I go out there. The weather is the main reason why I get easily discouraged with growing out my hair. Even my own hairstylist told me that the weather is what's holding us of retaining as much lenght as we could. I just do the best I can. My hair does grow but really slow and I noticed that my ends are healthier ever since I switched to olive oil.

Hey fellow Quebecoise! I just got in, and with the wind, it's at least -30C (-22F) out there. Insane.

I do protective styling and live in nyc. I wear wigs and wash weekly doing pre-poos with heat on dry hair once a week. I moisturize as needed and pay extra attention to the ends. i love AO's poos and condishes but the GBP is a staple for me right now, my hair is really liking protein. I might do a hardcore protein treatment in the next 2 wks as its been about 4-5 weeks. I'm natural and apl right now, hope to be bsl by june 2010. Winter is so hard on the hair and skin can't wait till spring!

I learned the hard way. I came from the Caribbean to school in North York Canada. I was using S-Curl as a moisturizer. Arrived in Sep and by Dec I was left with just over an inch at my crown:wallbash:. The cold dry air didnt agree with me . My hair was in shock Now its cold my hair is in braids, I use oils, butters and always cover my hair.

Back