Successful Hair Journeys for those living in the deep freeze?

Evo-ny

I was kind of curious if it was more difficult or near impossible for the ladies of the north to grow their hair when they have to deal with extreme freezing temps for 4-6 months of the year. I know about the terrible dryness from heaters blowing non-stop, not to mention evil wool scarves and hats, but what about the way your body reacts to the cold?

Last year, I had a relative from Jamaica come up to work in Canada for a few months. I've lived here all my life, but this was her first trip here. Her hair was fine-stranded and in-between chin and neck length when she got here. Winter rolled around and we'd gotten some of the lowest temperatures in decades (almost -70F, if you count the windchill). Eventually, all her hair broke off to about 1 inch in length all around. :nono:

I'm guessing this was from the shock of being transplanted from sunny Jamaica to chilly Canada. I figure when your body has to deal with those crazy temps for months on end, it mainly focuses on keeping your core warm and says "Fend for yourselves!" to any extremities! :lachen:

Although I'm used to this sort of weather, I came to wonder if I'm going through a similar thing every time winter rolls around and there's just no saving my hair. :(

Anyone know of any successful hair journeys from some northern ladies? And any tips if you've got them!

no don't say that there's no saving your hair come winter! our hair obviously isn't built for this climate (where in canada do you live?) but it could still survive and grow for the matter

i mean i don't have any spectacular tips or anything. I wear a hat and hoodie when i go out. every night i'm sure to oil my ends. i try to keep my hair in braids or pony tails/buns. i prepoo before every wash, and i generally don't use much heat at all. drink water, exercise and thats about it.

what are the problems you're having with your hair?

My hair breaks like crazy in the winter, very random long and short pieces. Heat is a huge no, learned that the hard way. I also have to be careful with ponytails and bunning because even with a loose cloth covered hairtie and a bobby pin or two, it likes to snap at those spots. Safest bet is for me to braid it and wrap it around itself.

Last edited:
Well, it's not as cold where I am as CANADA, but it's been unseasonably freezing.

It's the first winter since I began my "haircare journey" in earnest, so no major results yet, but what I've been doing is whole-head baggying (by re-using a disposable plastic conditioning cap over my dry hair) and either putting a wig on top or using fashionable, "together"-looking scarves and wraps to conceal.

On days I wear my real hair out, I do the plastic cap as usual and then plop my wool, Thinsulate, etc. winter hat on top (to protect the hair from the rough materials). When I get to my destinations, I remove the whole kit and kaboodle, shake out my hair, and go.

i ain't complaining....winnipeg is :cold: compared to where i'm at.

when it's btwn -10 to -30c, i'd say just do more of all the good things- more pre-pooing, more dc'ing, more protective styling, get yourself an elmer fudd hat for when you step out.

also, if you're experiencing alot of breakage, have you thought about a protein treatment? are you relaxed?

Last edited:
Well, they call Michigan southern Canada in the winter, and I, as well as several other ladies, have had great success with growing and retaining length even during the cold months which is pretty much half the year. In extreme temperatures, I'm careful to make sure my ends are protected and not rubbing against my coat or exposed to the outside elements. If I wear a hat, I wear a silk scarf or bonnet underneath, and keeping the hair moisturized is soooo important! Some even use a humidifier in their homes to keep the air from drying out which in turn keeps the hair moist. I moisturize and seal w/JBCO and baggy my ends when my hair feels extra dry. Keeping the scalp clean, moist and supple is helpful as well. It can be done!

I can't speak on my progress yet because I just began doing this, thanks to the information I got from the ladies here when I made a post about winter damage.

but I have braided my hair and I am whole head bagging while I am in the house, because I keep my heat on all day.

and when I go out I always tie a silk or satin scarf on my head sometimes I just leave the plastic bag on under the scarf it keeps my head warm, and keeping your body temp up is good for growth too. Hopefully I will have a healthy hair report card in march!

I was just about to complain about the little piece of cold weather we are/were having here, but compared to the OP it's clearly tropical conditions! :eek:

A humidifier is supposed to be excellent because it puts moisture back into the air of your living environment particularly important if you going from the extremes of freezing weather to warm temperatures of your home, it can play havoc on the hair. I'm considering buying one as they are good to ease colds too apparently.

i ain't complaining....winnipeg is :cold: compared to where i'm at.

when it's btwn -10 to -30c, i'd say just do more of all the good things- more pre-pooing, more dc'ing, more protective styling, get yourself an elmer fudd hat for when you step out.

also, if you're experiencing alot of breakage, have you thought about a protein treatment? are you relaxed?

Well, they call Michigan southern Canada in the winter, and I, as well as several other ladies, have had great success with growing and retaining length even during the cold months which is pretty much half the year. In extreme temperatures, I'm careful to make sure my ends are protected and not rubbing against my coat or exposed to the outside elements. If I wear a hat, I wear a silk scarf or bonnet underneath, and keeping the hair moisturized is soooo important! Some even use a humidifier in their homes to keep the air from drying out which in turn keeps the hair moist. I moisturize and seal w/JBCO and baggy my ends when my hair feels extra dry. Keeping the scalp clean, moist and supple is helpful as well. It can be done![/QUOTE]

I am living in the Southern part of the US right now but faced these challenges when I used to live in Alaska. All of the above is great advice. :grin: It definitely can be done but takes a little extra effort. What I liked best was not having to deal with humidity issues. In a colder climate you can style your hair and wrap it or use some other PS and it will last much longer than if you had to deal with humidity. I miss that part:sad:... Try adding a little of the same oil you use for sealing to your fav condish or try hot oil treatments at a frequency that suits your needs. I also switch to a heavier conditioner during colder months.
HHG!

Im twenty minutes from Chicago and we get some brutal winters. The only way my hair survives in the winter is by wearing sew ins and washing weekly.

I had wondered about this as well. We have members on LHCF from Sweden and Norway... I want to hear how they deal with the winter.... Paging FlowerHair, Nina_Def, and what's her name Miss Norway I think?

All y'all Arctic Circle ladies please chime in :poke:

ETA: Alaskans, too! And of course Canadiennes :D

Last edited:
I'm in Edmonton. My hair is relaxed and APL but not FULL APL. I deep condition every week, I never change hair products for the winter, I rollerset and if I am wearing my hair out then I flat iron the roots or my dominican hairdresser friend blows out my hair, if not, I bun or wear a banana clip and a bandana for my edges. In our car i tied an old silk scarf on the headrest for my seat.
When I am wearing my hair out and going to work, I do fingercurls with pins, cover with a hairnet,a silk scarf and then my wool hat. When I get to my cubicle (thank God it is quite private) I remove everything and finger comb. I keep moisturizer and a bit of gel at work and I always have a small hair brush with me in my bag, so if I'm bunning and I have flyaways I smooth my edges with that. When I go home I do the same thing.
I sleep with a humidifier in my room and before going to bed I put moisturizer on my hair and a bit of coconut oil on my ends, a lot if I'm bunning.

I have to say that I don't see many healthy heads of hair (natural or relaxed) in my city. There was a nigerian girl in my bus with beautiful thick natural hair, I've seen twas too, but not many healthy relaxed heads.

I live in New York our winters can get pretty intense. To me, the cold air keeps my styles lasting beautifully till my next wash, my naturally oily skin keeps my hair moisturized and protected I wear my hair down almost all the time if its snowing or raining then my hair goes up in my cute little beanie hats thats about it. I try to DC when I can.

But I'd say I've had and will continue to have a successful journey:yep:

I had wondered about this as well. We have members on LHCF from Sweden and Norway... I want to hear how they deal with the winter.... Paging FlowerHair, Nina_Def, and what's her name Miss Norway I think?

All y'all Arctic Circle ladies please chime in :poke:

ETA: Alaskans, too! And of course Canadiennes :D

I'm not really that sucessfull...yet...

My hair crackles at the mere thought of cold, it's 14 °F and a snowstorm today:nono:.

I flatiron a lot, 2 times a week, and usually pin it up unless I'm going to a club. And since I'm unemployed and home I co-wash and do 2 buns the rest of the time.
I always use a sleeping cap under my hat when I go out.

I guess I am retaining length, even though my growth is in a rest cycle.
Because of the freeze factor I can't use cocout oil so I'm trying different blends of jojoba/castor/argan oil.

My AO doesn't work as good either (although I dc with AOHSR once a month), I've resorted to Mixed Chicks shampoo and conditioner.

Now Flowerhair has that good hair (she's half African.... yeah I said it) so I can't wait to hear what she does.

ETA: I meant 2 times a month!!!!!
NEVER 2 times a week!

Last edited:

My hair crackles at the mere thought of cold, it's 14 °F and a snowstorm today:nono:.

I flatiron a lot, 2 times a week, and usually pin it up unless I'm going to a club. And since I'm unemployed and home I co-wash and do 2 buns the rest of the time.
I always use a sleeping cap under my hat when I go out.
:shocked: dontcha think thats a bit much? If you're trying to reach your goals you might want to be more conservative with the heat like every 1.5 -2 weeks.

Because of the freeze factor I can't use cocout oil so I'm trying different blends of jojoba/castor/argan oil.

My AO doesn't work as good either (although I dc with AOHSR once a month), I've resorted to Mixed Chicks shampoo and conditioner.

Now Flowerhair has that good hair (she's half African.... yeah I said it) so I can't wait to hear what she does.
We all have good hair hun, good hair is healthy hair:yep:

I was in Edmonton/Calgary last year, but back in Winnipeg now. Always in the cold, dry prairies because of work and family!

My hair breaks like crazy in the winter, very random long and short pieces. Heat is a huge no, learned that the hard way. I also have to be careful with ponytails and bunning because even with a loose cloth covered hairtie and a bobby pin or two, it likes to snap at those spots. Safest bet is for me to braid it and wrap it around itself.

Hello neighbour! :hiya2: I'm in Calgary. Nice to see someone else from this part of the country.

I find it is extremely dry hair compared to Toronto (where I was before). I drink at least 2 litres of water per day. I've also taken to wearing wigs. I keep my hair braided underneath and I moisturize the ends with EVCO at night (when I remember :look:). I use a hair butter from Butters-n-bars to help with the dryness. I also keep my hair covered the majority of time.

I live in NYC and winters have been tough. This year I upped on the moisterizer and scalp massages. I use coconut oil on my hair and scalp every other day and massage the scalp every day for a a minute or 2 before heading in the shower. I will see in a couple of months what the results are, but so far so good.

This is my first winter so I can't speak on any progress yet.

None of my family members who range from APL-waist length have complained about harsh effect of winter on their hair.

I think deep conditioning, moisturizing and protecting the ends is the key during all types of weather.

I flatiron a lot, 2 times a week, OMG!!!! Your hair is a soldier to stand up to all that!!! Mine would kiss me goodbye, lol and usually pin it up unless I'm going to a club. And since I'm unemployed and home I co-wash and do 2 buns the rest of the time.
I always use a sleeping cap under my hat when I go out. I do this too. I think it's critical in cold dry weather.

Because of the freeze factor I can't use cocout oil so I'm trying different blends of jojoba/castor/argan oil. Sure you can! Just fill a jug or big bowl with hot water, almost to the brim. Then set your coconut oil (closed up with tight lid) into that hot water. It will want to float, so put a plate or something on top to hold it under the water. In a few minutes, the coconut oil will be all soft and melted.

Now Flowerhair has that good hair (she's half African.... yeah I said it) :blush::blush::blush::blush: OMG! aren't you half African also? No, wait, you are half Black American, right? I don't understand..... :drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk: so I can't wait to hear what she does.

Bitter Calgarian checking in!!! I hate winter, but I definitely try and pamper my hair as much as possible.
I moisturize twice a day, every day and I make sure I oil my ends to protect them. I think protective styling is the best way to avoid damage in this brutal weather.
I have been rocking cornrows and then wearing lacefronts. This prevents any damage from toques and hats and scarves and ear muffs and all the other protective gear we have to wear.
I just bought a steamer which I think is my new best friend. A humidifier is also a great idea!!
I definitely take advantage of summer time and vacations to let me hair out and be happy though.

I'm natural and this winter I'm am shampooing twice a week. This has been the best thing for me. When it's cold I wear my hair 80-90% straight in buns. So that means I blow dry and lightly flat iron twice a week. It's a must that you keep your hair moisturized and protected from moisture robbing materials (i.e. wool, cotton, dry heat) Since I wash more often I've been able to get away with just pre treatments. No daily moisturizing--No DCs. Plus I recently invested in a warm-mist humidifier. My hair has absolutely no issues unless I don't keep up with my shampoo schedule.

I do the following:
- DC every week
- moisturize and seal my hair daily am and pm
- have a humidifier in my home
- keep my hair pinned up and ends hidden with a giant clip or seamless plastic hair pins
- wear a silk knit hat which seems to work well and not snag my hair.

Overall, my hair seems to grow slower, but I am still retaining most of my length.

:shocked: dontcha think thats a bit much? If you're trying to reach your goals you might want to be more conservative with the heat like every 1.5 -2 weeks.

We all have good hair hun, good hair is healthy hair:yep:

OOOPPS, I meant 2 times a month!!!!
Every other week.

What I mean with the half African comment is that in my experience those round me with African heritage tend to have stronger hair, not as prone to breakage even in this weather.

I do have good hair, I have to baby it but it is healthy and I am loving it, it's just not as strong and resiliant as my African counterparts.

Every other week.

What I mean with the half African comment is that in my experience those round me with African heritage tend to have stronger hair, not as prone to breakage even in this weather.

I do have good hair, I have to baby it but it is healthy and I am loving it, it's just not as strong and resiliant as my African counterparts.

I've noticed this too. I know a few Nigerian and Ghanian girls and all their hair is very strong indeed!

Thanks a lot to everyone! I'm going to have to go check out that winter thread one of you ladies mentioned! Definitely need to put a humidifier on my shopping list.

I wash and DC weekly with moisturizing products. Sometimes I put in a little protein, but not often because it seems to make my hair even more brittle. I moisturize twice a day and seal with coconut mixed with a little jojoba oil. I usually have my hair in cornrows and wear a satin cap under my toque, but when those braids come out I still get little pieces of broken strands everywhere. :(

Kinda like the leaves falling off the trees in winter, haha.

Now you got me thinking...

When I was transplanted my permed hair broke off to shoulder length.
After a couple of years, I grew out my perm...

However, the cold hasn't prevented any growth for me but it also doesn't make me want to wash my hair that's for sure....

I live in Toronto I have experienced little breaks but nothing major and they have majorly decreased to almost none with a moisturizing DC (no protein) and hot oil treatments, and of course protective styling which for me is a bun.

I live in Chicago and I get thru the winter by wearing buns :grin:... I really don't mind wearing buns during the winter, I am not trying to look cute in below 0 weather especially when it is freezing and snowing...

Im twenty minutes from Chicago and we get some brutal winters. The only way my hair survives in the winter is by wearing sew ins and washing weekly.

Every other week.
lol oh okay, I was like wow lol

Thats a really interesting observation they say Haiti (where my fam is from) is the closest to Africa of all the carribbean nations and I've always noticed I have hair "just like" my african friends and my african hair idols online. It is really strong and can take alot.

thats awesome:yep:

Back