Successful Bun Airdries Please Help

tryn2growmyhair

Ok, thanks to all of the tips that you lovely ladies have given me I have been able to rollerset airdry my hair with some success but I would like to airdry my hair with a little bit less manipulation from time to time becuase I was my hair twice a week. I would like to try a bun airdry. Does anyone have any advice about how I can airdry my hair this way and not have it come out hard and crispy? TIA

Last edited:
Giirrrllll.... r u still having trouble with airdrying in a bun??? :grin:

This is what works for me for airdried buns...

1. After washing my hair, detangle with Suave Professionals Humectant all over my hair
2. Spray S-Curl all over my hair
3. Put hair into a ponytail
4. Coat the hair in ponytail with S-Curl and either oil, Suave Humectant, or oil
5. Put ponytail into a bun
6. For the hair that's exposed (not in the bun), spray more S-Curl and apply Citre Shine gel
7. Tie a satin scarf around edges

I do not use any leave-ins like my Motions Nourish leave-in which I use for rollersets because I find that it makes my hair crispy from the keratin in it. I also do not put oils on my hair that's outside the bun because it dries out as well. An activator and gel gives me soft airdried hair! :up: So during the week if my hair gets dry, I will re-apply S-Curl and maybe the gel as needed. When I wear a bun, I wash my hair once a week. If you have more time on your hands to wash more often, I would recommend every-other-day conditioner washes.

Hope that helps!!! ;)

Tryn2,

1) Shampoo & condition as usual
2) Detangle and comb the hair as smooth as you can (I find this easiest in the shower)
3) Use a good leave in
4) Moisturise your hair well (I think this is the key to avoiding crispyness)
5) Put your hair into a ponytail with a scruntchie
6) You can bun the ends or plait them (I do either)

If you look in my sig, there is a picture I took from last year where my hair is airdried from a ponytail/bun and I did the above.:)

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Tryn2,

1) Shampoo & condition as usual
2) Detangle and comb the hair as smooth as you can (I find this easiest in the shower)
3) Use a good leave in
4) Moisturise your hair well (I think this is the key to avoiding crispyness)
5) Put your hair into a ponytail with a scruntchie
6) You can bun the ends or plait them (I do either)

If you look in my sig, there is a picture I took from last year where my hair is airdried from a ponytail/bun and I did the above.:)
Thanks, what products do you use?

Poohbear said:
Giirrrllll.... r u still having trouble with airdrying in a bun??? :grin:

This is what works for me for airdried buns...

1. After washing my hair, detangle with Suave Professionals Humectant all over my hair
2. Spray S-Curl all over my hair
3. Put hair into a ponytail
4. Coat the hair in ponytail with S-Curl and either oil, Suave Humectant, or oil
5. Put ponytail into a bun
6. For the hair that's exposed (not in the bun), spray more S-Curl and apply Citre Shine gel
7. Tie a satin scarf around edges

I do not use any leave-ins like my Motions Nourish leave-in which I use for rollersets because I find that it makes my hair crispy from the keratin in it. I also do not put oils on my hair that's outside the bun because it dries out as well. An activator and gel gives me soft airdried hair! :up: So during the week if my hair gets dry, I will re-apply S-Curl and maybe the gel as needed. When I wear a bun, I wash my hair once a week. If you have more time on your hands to wash more often, I would recommend every-other-day conditioner washes.

Hope that helps!!! ;)
Yes, I am still having problems with this. My hair HATES S-Curl. It makes my hair feel itchy and like I have something crawling in my scalp. :nono:
I will try the World of Curl gels that I have and see if that works. Oh well, I am still looking for the right combination of products.

I air dry in a bun twice a week. Here's what I do:

• Shampoo and condition
  • Detangle (usually done in the shower right after rinsing conditioner)
  • Add leave in from root to tip (NTM, Mane and Tail or Giovanni Direct)
  • Using a non metal elastic, soaked in olive oil I make a ponytail
  • I put oil on the length of the ponytail focusing on the ends
  • I twist the ponytail around into a bun (not too tight) and secure with 1 good hair day pin
  • Use a dab of NTM Healing shine serum to smooth edges
  • Put on a scarf
Since I wash at night when I get up in the morning I take off the scarf and go. The outside of my hair is dry but my roots are usually still damp. At night I take down the bun, take off the elastic, add a little moisturizer and put it back up.

simplycee said:

• Shampoo and condition
  • I twist the ponytail around into a bun (not too tight) and secure with 1 good hair day pin
  • Put on a scarf
Since I wash at night when I get up in the morning I take off the scarf and go. The outside of my hair is dry but my roots are usually still damp. At night I take down the bun, take off the elastic, add a little moisturizer and put it back up.
Thanks for the tip. What moisturizer do you use? How much Mane N Tail do you use? TIA. I appreciate your response.

I did an airdry bun last night.
I pre-poo'ed with your favorite product Amla oil
Washed with M/T shampoo
Used Leklair Cholesteral with Aloe mixed with Castor Oil
Leave-ins- Rusk Smoothie and Lacio Lacio mixed together
Safflower oil on the ends (very little)
Detangled (my hair was so soft, it was scary soft) I thought I had done something wrong! LOL!
Twist in a bun and secured with a scarf and bonnet. ( I didnt use any clips, the scarf held the bun in place.

This morning I took bun down and sprayed my hair with the brown bottle stuff similar to S-curl. (I forgot the name)
Used Vatika oils on the ends
Re-bun

My hair feels soft and moisturized! LOL!

mrslee said:
I did an airdry bun last night.
I pre-poo'ed with your favorite product Amla oil
Washed with M/T shampoo
Used Leklair Cholesteral with Aloe mixed with Castor Oil
Leave-ins- Rusk Smoothie and Lacio Lacio mixed together
Safflower oil on the ends (very little)
Detangled (my hair was so soft, it was scary soft) I thought I had done something wrong! LOL!
Twist in a bun and secured with a scarf and bonnet. ( I didnt use any clips, the scarf held the bun in place.

This morning I took bun down and sprayed my hair with the brown bottle stuff similar to S-curl. (I forgot the name)
Used Vatika oils on the ends
Re-bun

My hair feels soft and moisturized! LOL!
Thanks for the tip. What is the full name of the Rusk product that you used?

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks, what products do you use?

Good question, too many to mention:lol:

But here are the main ones.

I don't have one set shampoo, I use anything I can grab that's moisturising eg Nexxus shampoos, conditioners.

Infusium 23 (diluted) or Motions Nourish

Wild growth oil & I use this with Better braids spray (it neutralises the smell) all over the hair from root to tip.

A small amount of Care free curl gold hair and scalp spray and instant activator with moisturizers

I also lie the Sta sof fro braid food (it's a grease but not greasy. A small amount of that for overrall shine if needed.

I like to saturate the hair because it will dry up later as you go about your everyday business.:)

HTH.

Tryin' I have used Worlds of Curls mixed with olive or coconut oils for my air dried buns. I have also used Protectiv Healthy Ends with good results. HTH

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks for the tip. What is the full name of the Rusk product that you used?

Its the same one sylver2 uses. The Rusk Sensories Smoother
Passionflower & Aloe Leave-in Texturizing Conditioner.

Also the brown bottle stuff was the Sta soft Fro.

simplycee said:
Tryin' I have used Worlds of Curls mixed with olive or coconut oils for my air dried buns. I have also used Protectiv Healthy Ends with good results. HTH
Thanks so much for this tip. I will try world of curls and see how it works. My hair hates S-Curl. I hope that it will like World of Curls. I have the gel version.

Since I'm working out at the gym, I'm now washing my hair 3 times a week (once with poo and with the other two I do a CW). During one of my washes, I'd like to air dry in a bun.

My question is when you put your hair in the bun, do you brush the wet hair or do you just slick it back? How do you make sure that the hair is smooth?

sweetcakes14 said:
Since I'm working out at the gym, I'm now washing my hair 3 times a week (once with poo and with the other two I do a CW). During one of my washes, I'd like to air dry in a bun.

My question is when you put your hair in the bun, do you brush the wet hair or do you just slick it back? How do you make sure that the hair is smooth?
I never use a brush on wet hair and havent used a brush in weeks, actually. I use only my beloved bone combs and a scarf. Maybe others can help you with this because I am still trying to figure this out myself. Your hair looks really healthy, Sweetcakes.

sweetcakes14 said:

Personally I use a big black comb to comb my hair gently all back. I have a boar bristle brush, but it is very very soft and this is what I would use to smooth over the sides and front once my hair has the products in it.

Generally though, it's not a good idea to brush wet hair, especially with the harder boar bristle brushes because it will/can damage your hair.:)

tryn2growmyhair said:
I never use a brush on wet hair and havent used a brush in weeks, actually. I use only my beloved bone combs and a scarf. Maybe others can help you with this because I am still trying to figure this out myself. Your hair looks really healthy, Sweetcakes.
I use a boar bristle brush on wet hair, it really helps give a nice smooth finish around the edges! I haven't gotten any breakage from using a brush on wet hair. I wouldn't dare brush my hair when it's dry. When I reapply products during the week, I use a baby brush to smooth any frizzes after applying S-Curl and gel. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just use my comb and maybe get a soft baby's brush to smooth out my edges. I'll let you know how it turns out!

sweetcakes14 said:
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just use my comb and maybe get a soft baby's brush to smooth out my edges. I'll let you know how it turns out!

A soft baby brush sounds good:)

tryn2growmyhair said:
Thanks for the tip. What moisturizer do you use? How much Mane N Tail do you use? TIA. I appreciate your response.

Well my hair is thick so I usually error on the more is better side. I seperate my hair in two sections and apply about a quater size to each side. I was expecting my hair to be hard for some reason after using M & T but it wasn't.

sweetcakes14 said:

I detangle well in the shower with a Jibere shower comb. When I have alot of new growth I apply a little castor oil to my edges. I then use a soft boar bristle brush for just my edges. The trick is to use something a little heavier to get my edges to stay down like castor oil. Then I put on my scarf.

I washed and used oils, coconut oil mixed with World of Curls Gel, my own version of S-Curl (rosewater and olive oil) and a little bit of MNT as a leave in.

My hair outside of the bun feels really soft and the hair inside the bun hasnt dried yet, so I cant tell you how it feels.

I also bought some Giovanni Direct. I will tell you how that one works when I try it after my next wash. Thanks for all your advice

Last edited:
Tryn2growmyhair ~

My hair doesn't like glycerin, either. I wash/rinse my hair at night and I use NTM leave-in (my hair really likes the foam for fine/medium hair but the cream is good too), mixed w/a little bit of Salerm 21 on occasion, and then I finish with a dollop of NTM glosser or Asha's Naturals product. My hair is detangled with a seamless, wide-toothed bone comb and smoothed into a bun that's secured with a silk/satin scrunchie. Then I have a super-soft boar bristle brush (I test it against my skin before buying, if it scratches, no dice) that I use to smooth my hairline/sides/nape into place. In the morning, my hair still feels moisturized and soft. HTH.

Nyambura said:
Tryn2growmyhair ~

My hair doesn't like glycerin, either. I wash/rinse my hair at night and I use NTM leave-in (my hair really likes the foam for fine/medium hair but the cream is good too), mixed w/a little bit of Salerm 21 on occasion, and then I finish with a dollop of NTM glosser or Asha's Naturals product. My hair is detangled with a seamless, wide-toothed bone comb and smoothed into a bun that's secured with a silk/satin scrunchie. Then I have a super-soft boar bristle brush (I test it against my skin before buying, if it scratches, no dice) that I use to smooth my hairline/sides/nape into place. In the morning, my hair still feels moisturized and soft. HTH.
I have never used Asha's Naturals but I have used all of the rest of those products and the one that works really well for me is the NTM serum. My hair for some reason does not agree with NTM. Thanks though for the tips. I will try the other things that you mentioned though.

tryn2growmyhair said:
I washed and used oils, coconut oil mixed with World of Curls Gel, my own version of S-Curl (rosewater and olive oil) and a little bit of MNT as a leave in.

My hair outside of the bun feels really soft and the hair inside the bun hasnt dried yet, so I cant tell you how it feels.
This treatment worked very well for me. I am actually surprised that world of curls worked for me but I realize that the other time that I used it it was with S-Curl. A funny thing that I have noticed -- World of Curls and other leave-ins that I do not mind have PROPYLENE GLYCOL in them while products that my hair hates have a high content of glycerine. So funny, because Glycerine is the natural form of propylene glycol or so I've read.

I am also surprised that the MNT worked for me too. I was scared to use it as a leave in in the past.

Next time, I will do everything that I did with my last wash and use Giovanni Direct.

I also wonder if my hair feels so moisturized because I have stopped oiling my hair after a wash with tea tree oil -- great for my scalp but bad for my hair -- and I have been using Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm -- that stuff is amazing.

simplycee said:

• Shampoo and condition
  • Put on a scarf
Simplycee -- how much Giovanni direct do you put in your hair? TIA.

I pretty much air dry my buns like everyone else, but someone mentioned that their hair doesn't like S-Curl. You can always try Leisure Curl spray. That's what I use for my buns. It's a moisturizing spray that you can buy at beauty supply houses. Not many of them still sell it though.

tryn2growmyhair said:
This treatment worked very well for me. I am actually surprised that world of curls worked for me but I realize that the other time that I used it it was with S-Curl. A funny thing that I have noticed -- World of Curls and other leave-ins that I do not mind have PROPYLENE GLYCOL in them while products that my hair hates have a high content of glycerine. So funny, because Glycerine is the natural form of propylene glycol or so I've read.

I am also surprised that the MNT worked for me too. I was scared to use it as a leave in in the past.

Next time, I will do everything that I did with my last wash and use Giovanni Direct.

I also wonder if my hair feels so moisturized because I have stopped oiling my hair after a wash with tea tree oil -- great for my scalp but bad for my hair -- and I have been using Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm -- that stuff is amazing.

I'm glad you found a routine that works for you! :up:
Worlds of Curls worked for you, huh? :scratchch ... I might have to go check it out. I'd assumed it was just another glycerin product. Good to know and thanks for the heads up. :)

Nyambura said:
I'm glad you found a routine that works for you! :up:
Worlds of Curls worked for you, huh? :scratchch ... I might have to go check it out. I'd assumed it was just another glycerin product. Good to know and thanks for the heads up. :)
Yes, thanks it worked pretty well. But my hair is back to being dry again -- I think that I am going to wash my hair again tomorrow. It still is not as dry as it was in the past. The World of Curl gel had no glycerin in it, I believe. I did not use the WoC activator, so I don't know how that works. Thanks for all of your advice.

Back