Successful Bun Airdries Please Help

I am posting info that I got from this thread;http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=645#post645

I am including it here because I have this book and it helped me A LITTLE bit with the airdrying problem. I would say that the tips I got here, like mixing WOC with coconut oil, etc., have been more helpful to me.

Kathy said:
Medium to Long hair: : Gently comb hair back into a ponytail, making sure that the hair is combed through thoroughly and lays flat. This is very important! If your hair is not flat when it is wet, it won't be flat when it dries! For hair that cannot be securly pulled into a ponytail because of its length or the way it is cut, you may move it up from the nape of your neck towards the center of the head. However, if you are still unable to include all of the hair securely, try 8B instead. Before securing the hair in a ponytail, spread a small amount of WGO in your hands and smooth on the hair (starting from front to ends). Make sure ends are well coated. This will keep ends from frizzing and seal in moisture so that your hair dries with a sheen. Secure hair with bow/ponytail holder (not too tightly, but firmly). Once hair is pulled back securely, brush hair very gently (preferably with a soft-bristle man's brush) from the front of the hair to the base of the bow to make sure hair is flat and there are no fly-aways. Give the ends hanging from the pony tail one final comb through, so that they are not puffy or wavy. Apply a final coating of WGO to the ponytail and to the hair leading up to it. Comb through at least two times before hair dries completely. Apply a small amount of Pro-Line Perm Repair (optional) to the ponytail as added protection for your ends and to seal in moisture. You may also add more WGO as needed, but start with small amounts so your hair does not become oily.
8B For Short to Medium Hair Lenths: Slick hair back, using a comb and your hands, until it lays flat and smoothly rests at the nape of your neck. This is very important! If your hair is not flat when it is wet, it won't be flat when it dries! Spread a small amount of WGO in hands and smooth on hair, starting from the front to the ends. Make sure ends are well coated. Use either a clip or bobby pins to keep hair firmly resting at the nape of your neck, or you can leave it loose and periodicaly smooth it down with your hands or by combing through. You may also gently smooth hair with a brush (soft bristled man's brush). The important thing is to keep your roots flat until the top layer of the hair is dry. Once the top layer is dry, you may either allow the rest to air dry, or you may sit under a hair dryer, med. to high heat, for at least 15-45 min., depending on hair length, to dry hair at least 3/4 of the way. As hair is drying, gently comb it through after every ten minutes that you have been under the dryer, or air drying, so that the ends are not puffy or wavy. Comb through at least two times before hair dries completely. Apply a small amount of Pro-Line Perm Repair (optional) to the ends for added protection and to seal in moisture. You may also add more WGO as needed, but start with small amounts so your hair does not become oily.

Taken from "The Black Woman's Guide To Beautiful, Healthier Hair in 6 Weeks!" by Caroly Gray

simplycee said:
I seperate my hair right down the middle and apply a quater size of Giovanni Direct to each section.

What is the Giovanni Direct product? Is it a leave in or conditioner?

I did my first airdry in a bun last night and it came out pretty good.

I used NTM leave in and WGO in my hair...then Elasta QP Mango butter and Stay so fro on the ponytail. and my hair came out very soft. I put PC Oil(Palma Christie Oil) on my hair line and it was flat and very soft as well.

I didn't use any holder but I will use a scrunchie going forward.

Back