SUCCESS!

Robin41

YAY!! I've finally achieved hair success. I've been on the road to healthy hair since August 2002 and I'm finally at a point where my hair looks and feels its healthiest and longest, due mostly to trial and error and finding the perfect core products that work for my hair.

In return for all the tips and suggestions I've found here on this board, I'm sharing my routine and products with everyone -- hopefully someone will get some use out of it.

I've achieved the most length and health by wearing a modified braid-out/scrunch style. After shampoo/conditioning treatments, I pull my hair back into a ponytail with a band, add Mango Butter to the length and braid the length. I usually do this at night. In the a.m., I take down the pony (it's still a little damp at this point), spray with a little S-curl, John Freida Frizz-Ease Dream Curls and scrunch with a tiny bit of hair glossifier. Thanks to the S-curl and mango butter, it comes out wavy/curly, soft and very shiny. I can wear this style for a couple of days and then re-braid overnight after the second day (just spraying a little more S-curl in the morning). My hair responds to this treatment like crazy! I'm using absolutely no heat, little or no combing, no brushing, and giving my hair tons of moisture. Best of all, I can work out and shampoo as often as I want without having to worry about flat-ironing it or trying to straighten my hair within an inch of its life!

I do flat-iron every once in a while just for a change but if I start to see any breakage or damage, I go right back to the braid-out scrunchie style!

Products:
Mizani relaxer in mild (if done at salon -- JC Penny's of course)
Motions with Oil Moisturizer relaxer in mild (if done at home)
Pantene clarifying shampoo weekly
EVOO for weekly hot oil treatments
CON for dry/color treated hair
Break-thru deep conditioner
Pantene S&S instant conditioner
Wonder Gro shea butter oil
Wild Growth Oil
Elasta QP Mango Butter

That's basically it! These are the totally dependable, core products that work for me every time I use them and I'm not even interested in trying new products. I take a multi-vitamin when I remember, and I used to take GNC UNH but I don't even take those anymore (the taste is gross).
BTW, my hair is even color treated (T&T cocoa brown) and shows no signs of damage or dryness at all.

I'll be posting pics of my growth since 8/02 as soon as I'm able to scan them.

I hope you all are having as much and more hair success as I am. If not, hang in there - it will happen. I think I've learned something from just about all the posters here so thanks to everybody for sharing your experiences with me, good and bad. Happy Hair Growing!

Congratulations Robin. I can see why you've had success: your regimen has success written all over it.
clap.gif
I can't wait to see pictures. (I can never have too many idols, ya know.
wink.gif
)

Thanks everyone! It took a long time to see real results but it does happen. I'm a totally satisfied board-member.
bouncy.gif

Congratulations Robin!! Your regimen sounds really good!! I look forward to seeing your progress pics.
smile.gif

Way to go!!
up.gif

It sounds like you have a good thing going, keep it up!
up.gif

PS: You should also be glad that you didn't become a PJ like so many of us here. LOL...

Thank you for sharing your regimen! I am also a huge fan of braidouts so I have a couple of questions for you on your braidout scrunch method!

Do you do just one big braided ponytail at night?
When you scrunch with s-curl the next day, how do you wear your hair - down or in a ponytail? If you wear it down, do you have a line from the ponytail holder?
What do you do with your hair the second night - when you don't rebraid?
Thanks in advance - I'm always looking for new styles and techniques!

Thanks for all your congrats, girls! I just got back from vacation and just read all your messages.

Hairlove, to answer your questions:

I re-braid every other night, usually only two or three braids. I don't use any ponytail holders in between shampooing -- I just braid.

The next day, I undo the braids, scrunch with S-curl and Dream Curls and wear it down.

I only use ponytail holders after I shampoo and when I take it out the next morning, I don't get those lines because my hair is still damp. If I gave it a chance to dry with the ponytail holder in, I think you're right, it would have that line in it.

On the nights I don't braid, I just sleep in a large sleeping cap and that helps hold the wave pattern for the next day without squashing it down.

Let me know if you decide to try this and how it works for you.

Congrats Robin
drunk.gif
I'm happy your totally in love w/ your hair. Just the inspiration I needed to get me through this next year. Can't wait to see the pics......
smile.gif

Another Dream Curls lover!
clap.gif

Your story is very inspiring - to newbies and veterans alike, I'm sure. I know this vet is INSPIRED.
grin.gif

Thank you for sharing your wonderful regime.
smile.gif

Thanks for the inspiration and sharing your regimen. It really helped me because I'm going through this trial and error stage myself, but am beginning to see what my core products will be.

Congrats!!!

Back