Stylist left relaxer on for 30 min. Is this okay?

Should a relaxer be left on longer than the recommended time on the box?

• It's okay if your hair isn't bone straight.

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Failure to follow timing directions always leads to damage.

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • I'm not sure but I'd rather play it safe and stay texlaxed

Votes: 17 22.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Researching

I have been texlaxed undesirably for some while now because I kept burning and my stylist had to rinse out my relaxers early. Well, I did not burn my last visit and my stylist left the relaxer ( ORS No Lye - Normal) on for 30 minutes. I have 4a/b hair so the max. time was 20 minutes. My hair didn't even come out bone straight, but just how I like it - not too straight and not too kinky. I air dried today and still have little waves in my hair, but it lays down very nicely. Should I keep doing this or will I eventually cause damage to my hair?

Im not sure, Ive nvr had relaxer in my hair for more than 15 mins.
whenever i told my stylist that I didnt want the relaxer in for long she always "worked" the relaxer in ie:smoothed with her fingers which she said assisted in straighteneing the hair - i dont know if this was true but it made sense to me lol

Im sure some more experienced ladies will chime in.

I have been texlaxed undesirably for some while now because I kept burning and my stylist had to rinse out my relaxers early. Well, I did not burn my last visit and my stylist left the relaxer ( ORS No Lye - Normal) on for 30 minutes. I have 4a/b hair so the max. time was 20 minutes. My hair didn't even come out bone straight, but just how I like it - not too straight and not too kinky. I air dried today and still have little waves in my hair, but it lays down very nicely. Should I keep doing this or will I eventually cause damage to my hair?

How often do you get your relaxers? I relax a maximum of 4 times per year (every 13 weeks). If you are stretching relaxers, the extra ten minutes will not do any damage as long as your scalp is protected. I don't think I would agree to the extra time if I was still relaxing every 6-8 weeks.

Thanks HappilyLiberal. I relax every 12 weeks. My stylist also smoothed my relaxer in just after application, but not for very long and then she let it sit. She was actually going to let it sit in even longer, but I asked her to rinse it out. She also overlapped to correct some of the underprocessed hair without my permission, and that hair, believe it or not, is still a little wavy. Thank goodness I protected my relaxed hair with lots of grease before hand. My hair has always been very resistant to relaxers though. I did the midprotein step and my hair feels strong. But, I don't know what will come of this later down the road.

I've had super relaxer left in my hair for an hour because my hair is so resistant :ohwell: no brakage, some burning and hardly any fall out.

Wow Superfly Sister! 1 hour? And your hair looks very healthy and pretty. How often do you relax? Do you take vitamins and how long is your hair? Sorry for all the questions. I hope you don't mind?

Sounds like your hair is fine, everyone has different hair needs and their scalp can take different things. I've never had my hair break or fall out from a relaxer so I tend to think I can take a lot and am experimenting with my relaxer methods.

i don't think a half hour for hair that is resistant and with the mid protein step, is too bad. It's ok, plus you said your hair isn't falling/breaking. You're good! =)

I left my last relaxer on about that long. I got sick of the relaxer leaving one section underprocessed so I made sure that area was done first and got rinsed out first. By the time I finish putting the whole relaxer in it's about 20 minutes right there so the other sections aren't even processed that long anyway. I relax in four sections in order and rinse it out in the same order.

My relaxer turned out great with no breakage (thank God).

I've had super relaxer left in my hair for an hour because my hair is so resistant :ohwell: no brakage, some burning and hardly any fall out.

Yeeks - I thought I had the record. When I used relaxers 35 minutes was a texturizer - this was when I did them myself at home. My stylist might have done some spots for an hour total but that was because she would rinse out then go back to spot correct. As I recall she once went back twice on a particularly difficult spot. I didn't have any damage - she was a very good stylist, and my hair thrived while I was going to her.

How long is too long depends on the individual. If your hair relaxes in just 10-15 minutes (this would have no effect on my hair) then 30 minutes is too long. If it takes 45 minutes then 30 is not too long.

I think you're right. When I used to leave my relaxer on for 15 minutes everybody thought I was natural. I would tell them I had a perm and they would be like---You do? Having my hair straighter makes it a lot easier to air dry and wear protective styles with no heat. As long as I keep the heat to a minumum I finding that my hair is growing by leaps and bounds. I started my journey in March at APL and I am 1 and a half inches away from midback already! So hopefully my decision to leave my relaxer on longer doesn't backfire.

I see a lot of votes against leaving the relaxer in longer, but no advice on what damage I may encounter. I'm anxious to hear the cons because I'm really liking striaghter hair but don't want to continue this pattern if it will cause a set back. However, I am leaning toward sticking with the 30 minute relaxing time because there is so much advice in favor of it.

There are many, as seen in this post that leave the relaxer on longer than the suggested time. From what I have read she did not smooth alot so your hair should be fine. Leaving the relaxer on that long and having it overlap onto the previously relaxed hair is where your setbacks will occur. As long as your previously relaxed hair is well protected you should be fine and you are rinsed out well. Like another poster stated if you relax less than 3 months then leaving it on that long is not good and will lead to overprocessed hair even if she does not smooth alot.

The look you prefer is what I prefer as well. I recently moved up to the Mizani BB Super relaxer because the reg was taking me too long to process, I had to smooth alot and it stayed on for 40 min. I smoothed a little too much and was a little over processed on my temples so I said no more, thats when I moved up in strength. I know only keep it on for the reg time 18 min while only smoothing 1x in the front and 2x in the back (more new growth here so needs more smoothing.) I tried not smoothing and a week later it looked like a relaxer barely touched my head when I corrected it I gauged by feeling how much I would need to smooth I also left it on a shorter time. 10 min in the front and 15 in the back. Mind you the total relax time for normal hair is 15-18 min for the mizani BB super so this goes to show you how little my hair was processed the first go round.

Last edited:
Op it sounds like you have resistant hair due to tightly closed cuticles have you thought of switching up to super and leaving the relaxer in for less time. Also when I was relaxed I used ORS once and it even left my fine hair under processed.

Same thing happened to me years ago! A stylist "forgot" about me while styling someone else and left the relaxer on (root to tip) for a good 45 min+. She was worried that my hair would be ruined, but I didn't notice any damage at all. It was bone straight (my hair doesn't usually look very different after a relaxer) and I thought it was the best relaxer I ever had, lol!

I never had a relaxer on for more than 15 minutes after that, though. Try not to worry, OP!

my first relaxer was done twice (basically two relaxers) so it was about 30 minutes if not more and my hair turned out fine. she said that my hair was resilient, but after that, it was never hard to perm my hair again and i used no-lye (shrugs). i think that as long as you don't see any damage, it's fine. everyone's hair is different and can handle different things

Well I have 4a fine hair. After 10 mins with some smoothing my hair is straight. I think it depends on your hair type. But I wouldnt want any chemical sitting on my head for that long.

There are many, as seen in this post that leave the relaxer on longer than the suggested time. From what I have read she did not smooth alot so your hair should be fine. Leaving the relaxer on that long and having it overlap onto the previously relaxed hair is where your setbacks will occur. As long as your previously relaxed hair is well protected you should be fine and you are rinsed out well. Like another poster stated if you relax less than 3 months then leaving it on that long is not good and will lead to overprocessed hair even if she does not smooth alot.

^^This

Op it sounds like you have resistant hair due to tightly closed cuticles have you thought of switching up to super and leaving the relaxer in for less time. Also when I was relaxed I used ORS once and it even left my fine hair under processed.

I used super. Regular has no effect on my hair other than to make it feel rough but the strands do not relax out at all.

Well I have 4a fine hair. After 10 mins with some smoothing my hair is straight. I think it depends on your hair type. But I wouldnt want any chemical sitting on my head for that long.

This is why I stopped relaxing long ago. And when I contemplated going back I decided to heat train instead and that's working out very well.

I've always been leary of super relaxers because all the ladies with youtube channels with really long hair say to use normal because super isn't as healthy or necessary. But, I suppose they also wouldn't agree with leaving a relaxer in for 30 minutes eithor.

I've always been leary of super relaxers because all the ladies with youtube channels with really long hair say to use normal because super isn't as healthy or necessary. But, I suppose they also wouldn't agree with leaving a relaxer in for 30 minutes eithor.

I use Super Mizani BB because this relaxer is very mild (it has shea, cocoa butter and honey) and my hair is very dense. I still dont get bonelaxed hair because I dont smooth alot and I dont leave it on longer than 18 min. IMO it all depends on the relaxer. If I used the original mizani relaxer I would use a mild and keep it on the length of time for a course hair because this relaxer does not have the buffers that the BB relaxer does.

I use the same relaxer u do too. I leave mine in for 35 mins. Its all good, no shedding breakage, nothing.

I think it all depends on the texture and condition of your hair and scalp and the results you desire.

I use the same relaxer u do too. I leave mine in for 35 mins. Its all good, no shedding breakage, nothing.

Wow, really! Thanks! Your response is sooo helpful because you are the same texture and length that I am. I'm glad this will work out because i really do like my hair straighter. It makes it easier for me to avoid heat and still have cute protective styles.

No, that seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long. In August 2009, I relaxed my hair with ORS relaxer, Mild or Normal, BUT I also put a 1/2 a cup of coconut oil in the relaxer. I let it stay on for ten minutes...my hair got straight so fast. I jumped in the shower and a huge part of my hair came out...maybe from being tangled. Anyhow, I was waist length and my hair got tooooo straight...from ten minutes. I am now at this moment, neck length because the difference between silky straight and 3c/4a was too drastic. I didn't know how to handle the two textures, stopped moisturizing, etc.

Please don't do what I did. Keep your moisturizing game up. Please.

10 minutes seems way to short of time. That's like texlax. I think it's okay. Some people have more resistant hair than others.

I use the ORS No-Lye relaxer (regular strength). I have super fine 4a strands. The week before I relax I do the Aphogee 2-Step treatment.

I add 2 tablespoons of conditioner to my relaxer (after I've mixed it up). By the time I'm done applying and smoothing the relaxer its been about 30 minutes. I rinse it out, do the protein step, then neutralize 4 times (at varying time limits).

I still end up texlaxed and I have no problems with breakage or shedding.

I'm relaxed and 30 mins is just too long IMO, I mean, hopefully she did a deep protein treatment, I have took chances myself with my hair, but I've been lucky so far, but 30 mins is too long. (IMO)

Back