Stress and the hair is falling out

KAT25

Okay I have been under a whole lot of stress lately and I can see that my hair is falling out. I have been trying not to mess with it that much but to keep it oiled but it is coming out bad. I also am in need of a relaxer bad and I think is also making it come out some but I don't know what to do I am trying to destress but I know until it is 100% percent gone my hair is going to suffer. So with that being said I just washed my hair yesterday do you think I could do a relaxer on Sunday?? The hair that I do have I don't really think it is damaged it is just coming out from the stress. I have really good products that I use for my hair and I have been washing it every week letting it air dry and flat iron cause the roots are BAD. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I am planning on using a Cantu Shea Butter Relaxer last time I used it it left my hair feeling so soft and good.

Stress, Anxiety & Hair Loss

The one thing that everyone must understand about their hair is that it serves no vital function for our health. Without it, we can live and function normally. Milleniums ago, the head on the hair of our early ancestors kept their head warmer, but this is no longer necessary today.

When the body and our health is negatively affected (trauma, pregnancy, emotional stress, major illness) your hair no longer has priority for your health maintenance. It's as if your body is saying, "I've got bigger problems to worry about and take care of, I don't need to worry about hair growth right now."
Your body's built-in self healing "process" considers your other problems so important, that it concentrates on the problem and ignores your hair. "... a sudden or stressful event can cause the hair follicles to prematurely stop growing and enter into a resting phase." (1)
Severe mental stress can have this affect as your body and mind tries to deal with your emotional issues. This process, known as telogen effluvium, occurs when more hairs go into a "resting phase" and are shed. Read more about Hair Growth Cycle.
Telogen Effluvium is characterized by sudden, diffuse hair loss caused by an interruption in the normal hair growth cycle. This interruption is often the result of trauma, such as chemotherapy, childbirth, major surgery, severe stress, and severe chronic illness. This trauma causes large numbers of hair follicles to enter a stage of telogen, or rest, simultaneously.(2)
The telogen phase can last 6 to 12 weeks (and much longer if left untreated) and affects women much more then men. Stress factors that can lead to temporary hair loss:
  • Death of family member, friend or spouse
  • Accident
  • Intense work related stress
  • Financial problems
  • Divorce
  • Major illness or surgery
  • Child birth
The good news is that stress related hair loss (telogen effluvium) is temporary. In fact, due to the nature of the hair growth cycle, by the time you hair starts to shed heavily, your stress related problem may have already been resolved.
The odd thing about this condition is that you’re usually over the stressful event before the hair loss even starts. (3)

However, for many people, a major stress event can be more lasting. At times like these, these tips for handling stress are helpful: (4)
Exercise. Just 20 minutes a day can produce enough endorphins to reduce stress levels.
Write in a journal. Writing your thoughts and feeling down in a journal can help in expressing the frustrations you are keeping inside.
Get a massage. Massage therapy can relax muscles, easy muscle spasm, increase blood flow to skin and muscles and relieve mental and emotional stress.
Realistic expectations. A lot of stress is caused by disappointment in ourselves and/or others. When we or others can't live up to expectations you may have, disappointment and stress can set in. If you feel this applies to you, adjust your expectations. Don’t expect everyone to be like you or behave to your code of “shoulds and oughts." And don't say yes to demands that you know will be difficult to live up to. Don’t let ego and social pressure force you into being/doing something your not.(4)
The danger about stress related hair loss is misdiagnosing it. A self-diagnosis where you tell yourself, this hair loss is probably stress related because my father just died, can backfire later. The problem is, your hair loss may not be stress related at all!
"However in some cases where diffuse and sudden hair loss occurs the hair loss may continue until the underlying cause is treated." (1)
Lynn Drake, MD, has outlined many OTHER different causes for telegen effluvium which include:
  • Thyroid or liver disease
  • Too much vitamin A
  • Anticholesterol medication
  • Zinc deficiency
  • Anemia
  • Protein Deficiency
  • Systemic Lupus
"I have diagnosed nine women with systemic lupus, who did not know they had lupus but presented to the office because of thinning hair," Drake said. Also, more then 300 drugs have been identified as a possible cause of hair loss as a side-effect.(5)
Even if you think your hair loss is stress related, see a dermatologist to rule out any other health problems you may have.

http://www.hairlosslibrary.com/stress_hair_loss.html

I found this, I hope it helps. Good Luck!!!:)

I know B vitamins are good for that simply because Stress uses up the B Vits in your body. I'm not good at explaining but i'm sure others will come in to give you the scientifical breakdown on the B vits.

Kat:

I am so sorry your hair is falling out. I really am but I know how you feel because this happen to me a year and half ago. My hair came out in clumps due to stress.

I finally had to cut it to shoulder length. I was in shock but had to do it. I am not saying you have to cut yours but my hair was so broken off that there was no choice.

My hair is now is midback after a year of tender loving care. My regimen was was a good cut, I washed or condition washed my hair everyday and I mean everyday, used no heat except twice and I took a good multivitamin.

I hope your shedding stops soon and as the previous poster said B vitamins help with stress and this is very true. I got this advice from my mum who is in the medical profession. B vitmains have worked wonders for me in the past and B-12 helps with sleep.

God bless you:kiss:

I wouldn't do a relaxer. Give yourself a break from chemicals.

KAT, my hair has been coming out from the roots too…but it’s not obvious to others (that’s not good enough for me). Part of the reason is stress. It's been very bad over the last two years. I'm surprised that I still have hair on my head. I find lots of hair on my carpet in my bedroom and I never comb my hair in my bedroom...so I don't understand. I guess I shed on my pillow...maybe that's where it comes from (it's a lot).

My hair is shoulder length now, but I believe that I will be cutting my hair very short when all of this is over. I've been trimming a lot, because I had to....so that my hair could look decent. Who knows how long my hair would have been, because I cut soooo much...and it grows fast.

I have an appt with a stress relief doctor June 22...or 21(can't remember). I choose this doctor, because all the research that I did on the internet this is the first doctor that I've found in this area that fits my research. These days doctors only want to give you anti-d's, and not find the cause and I refuse. This doctor finds the cause...thank God.

Good luck! No hair product can help this....I've tried since I've joined this forum.

Also, I've learned that stress over a period of time depletes nutrients in our bodies and causes deficiencies that can cause hair loss. This doctor fixes all that. To fix deficiencies you have to take high amounts of whatever is deficient....but first you have to find out what you are deficient in and how long you have to take it.

I'm sure that they have something in Georgia...if not New Orleans (Metairie) is not too far...I guess.:)

I hope that I’ve helped some.

Two pages from Dr. Wojcik's website:

Bio Energetic Synchronization Technique
http://www.drdrww.com/pages/page4.html

The Neuro Emotional Technique
http://www.drdrww.com/pages/page7.html

Last edited:
IMO: I say hold off on the relaxer: go to the movies and see "Happily Never After" its an animated movie from the creaters of Shrek. You should be doing this ->:lachen: <- through the whole movie and a day or two if u don't feel stress: give urself a mild relaxer if ur hair can take it that low. ~HTH~

ETA: this is just wat I would do if I'm stressed to help get my mind off it: or I'll watch a good Madea Movie to help get my self-esteem back up and keep my head up.

I agree with exercising. Stimulating your scalp helps alot. Look into a good multiviatmin (at least for the moment), Women's One a Day vitamins actually absorb into your body very well. Also, do daily scalp massages, especially before bed. Then read a good novel, bible or anything that can take your mind off of whatever it is you are stressing over. The ideas is for the last thought on your mind before you sleep to be a good one.

Try to read until you can no longer keep your eyes open and don't have a chance to really think about your problems after you close your eyes.

Sorry your going through this, I hope things get better soon. :kiss:

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE for all the information, kind words and compassion. I love LHCF

I will keep everyone posted on my hair progress.......... again thank you again it really meant a lot to get so much postitive back when going through a difficult time :)

Hi I wanted to know if you're okay, going through less stress and feeling better? How is your hair KAT25?

Everyone was so kind and compassionate. I'm glad to be a member of this board. :)

Back