Straight hair naturals....Who are you watching?

Growingmyhairlong

Hello Everyone,

So I have officially made the decision to go back to natural. I was natural for almost four years but wore my hair straight with no heat. I now want to go back and wear it straight most of the time. I am looking for as much inspiration and guidance as possible. I was wondering who are you following on YouTube or what blogs are you reading often. Basically who is your inspiration to manage your straight natural hair. Thanks in advance ; )

I believe there is a straight haired naturals thread somewhere.i used to be a straight haired natural and now i am transitioning back to that.

I dont see many straight hair naturals, just occasional straighteners.

Right now im just trying to focus on my journey and trying to get my darn hair to full bsl

Im one and i love watching sistawithrealhair. She proves that you can be a straight hair natural with long thick hair also longhairdontcare2011 and Brittneynyc (sp)? I think there are a couple others i cant remember right now.

I don't watch anyone. There is a thread for straight haired naturals that has some information. You can do a search for posts by former member Pinkskates and Bccardinal(she's still a member but changed her name but I don't remember it). I had to develop my own regimen based on what works for me. I assume there are more naturals that wear there hair straight most of the time. We are just not vocal. It's kind of hard to be when people come in every thread with "you should relax, if you are going to wear your hair straight" or "heat is the devil", "that wouldn't work for me", etc...

This may be a stupid question, but how are you guys straightening without heat? Roller sets? Wraps?

I'm trying to wear my natural hair down after years of braids and twists. But every time I go to a salon or try to straighten myself, my hair frizzes the same day.

This may be a stupid question, but how are you guys straightening without heat? Roller sets? Wraps?

I'm trying to wear my natural hair down after years of braids and twists. But every time I go to a salon or try to straighten myself, my hair frizzes the same day.

I use heat. My hair is a cottony 4a, I cannot achieve sleek hair without heat. Roller setting alone stretches my hair like a blow out. I would still have to flat iron.

I've been natural for almost 3 years now. Have not straightened my hair once. Too scared. I know that I will eventually. I envy those who do.

if you are natural and have a certain kind of hair texture i think it is impossible to get a sleek straight look without some heat intervention:look:

This is why i relaxed in the first place. i wanted the heat free straight look. it looked great for a while but I cant keep up with relaxed hair maintenance and new growth was a pain in my ***.

if you want a low heat option you can try roller setting and flat ironing on a lower temperature(300-340) with a good quality flat iron

also use mesh rollers. they help alot with getting the hair smooth. the plastic ones are the best.

Last edited:
I think because natural hair is vigin hair it can endure a lot more stress then when its already been process by a chemical and still be healthy. If you are afraid of heat damage start of gradually on a lower heat setting until you reach the heat setting that will give a a sleek look without out damage. Personally I've learned my hair is very heat RESISTANT. I have to flat iron on 450(like sistawithrealhair) to achieve a sleek look that will not revert same day and my hair always reverts back once washed.

Sorry if this question has already been posted. My daughter is natural, has soft curly, but kinky hair...does that make sense? She wants me to straighten her hair so bad, but not matter when or what I try, it poofs right back up when we hit the outside, and we are in GA, humidity humidity humidity? Is there any products yall can suggest that would probably help? Does silicone based products work best?

What are you using on your hair. I see some people (and some in my family) straightening on naked hair and applying serum after. I do notice that they (thick.coarse 4b-3b strands) have damage. I want to avoid that but I feel like the serums gum up on the iron. Am I not setting the iron high enough?

Back