Still Debating on Buying a Steamer? Go for it!

Bella_Atl

I bought my hair steamer 2 weeks after I found this board back in August. And it is the BEST thing I could have done for my hair, my journey, and my piece of mind. I will attribute at least 60% of my comeback/progress to my hair steamer. I bought the portable one off of Ebay for about $140 including shipping. It's a hair/facial steamer. But I think I have spent more money than that trying new products, not liking them, and giving them away. I have an oily scalp and dry ends. The steamer has almost eliminated that problem. My hair is shiny, moisturized, and a lot stronger. And it circulates the blood in your scalp and I'm convinced it promotes hair growth. I have dense but fine hair. I also suffer from a mild case of eczema around my forehead and scalp. Gone.

There are a few cons, but not many. The portable steamer I bought I had to put together and it's not sturdy. Actually it's pretty flimsy. If I pick it up to roughly the hood falls apart. I'm debating on super gluing the parts together. For $140 I don't think I should have to super glue anything. Second the hood is small. I have a little head and it doesn't reach the nape of my neck. I pile all of my hair on top of my head. But the back hairs don't get steamed. I say buy a better quality one than the portable, but the portable is cheaper and it still gets the job done.

I used a reconstructor with it and my hair started shedding like crazy. So I don't use it with a reconstructor.:nono: But that could be my hair. I have heard other people use it for their reconstructors.

My biggest con is hair color. I use henna now, but before I used color to cover grays and even though after my shampoo the water runs clear when I rinse after DCing with my steamer my color rinses out a lot. It's done it with Loreal Feria, I've used some No Peroxide hair color from the BSS and the Henna and it rinses that color out. Not just fresh color. Everytime I steam I'm rinsing color out.:wallbash: Have no idea what the science is behind that. The user's manual says to use it to apply the color. I'll try that next time.

I have done the hot turbin and everything. I would say if you can swing a hair steamer go for it!!!:yep:

UPDATE: Steam the color in and it won't rinse out. Thanks ladies!

Last edited:
I bought my hair steamer 2 weeks after I found this board back in August. And it is the BEST thing I could have done for my hair, my journey, and my piece of mind. I will attribute at least 60% of my comeback/progress to my hair steamer. I bought the portable one off of Ebay for about $140 including shipping. It's a hair/facial steamer. But I think I have spent more money than that trying new products, not liking them, and giving them away. I have an oily scalp and dry ends. The steamer has almost eliminated that problem. My hair is shiny, moisturized, and a lot stronger. I have dense but fine hair. I also suffer from a mild case of ezema around my scalp. Gone.

There are a few cons, but not many. The portable steamer I bought I had to put together and it's not sturdy. Actually it's pretty flimsy. If I pick it up to roughly the hood falls apart. I'm debating on super gluing the parts together. For $140 I don't think I should have to super glue anything. Second the hood is small. I have a little head and it doesn't reach the nape of my neck. I pile all of my hair on top of my head. But the back hairs don't get steamed. I say buy a better quality one than the portable, but the portable is cheaper and it still gets the job done.

I used a reconstructor with it and my hair started shedding like crazy. So I don't use it with a reconstructor.:nono: But that could be my hair. I have heard other people use it for their reconstructors.

My biggest con is hair color. I use henna now, but before I used color to cover grays and even though after my shampoo the water runs clear when I rinse after DCing with my steamer my color rinses out a lot. It's done it with Loreal Feria, I've used some No Peroxide hair color from the BSS and the Henna and it rinses that color out. Not just fresh color. Everytime I steam I'm rinsing color out.:wallbash: Have no idea what the science is behind that. The user's manual says to use it to apply the color. I'll try that next time.

I have done the hot turbin and everything. I would say if you can swing a hair steamer go for it!!!:yep:

I justified buying one and it got here last night. I'll be using mine fore the first time this weekend. When I used to work at a gym I love the steam room and even though I wasn't so concerned about the benefits then, I look back and notice now that my hair was in the best shape when I was using the steam room!

I know nothing of hair steamers, but I will research it.
Is the affect in comparison to deep conditioning with plastic cap under hood dryer or heating cap?

i've already broke the bank this week on hair products lol..don't make me do it..cause i will purchase that steamer

i have no self control..

My 4b thickness melts like butter after using the steamer. I was under it once at the salon which after they straightened my hair. This will be my first time under a steamer and wearing my hair in it's natural state.

For most of us in the challenges starting Nov. 1, my hair going right into 2 strand twists.

I agree with you on the reconstructor...I steamed in my Motions CPR, and I lost a little more hair than usual when I rinsed, so I won't be trying that again.

But for ladies that steam with great results, I'm curious as to how you close your cuticles afterwards. And how do you guys dry your hair?

I was looking at threads on here about steamers, and some people were talking about how a steamer will actually dry out your hair more, if you don't close your cuticles well after using it. And I've noticed that my hair will feel really heavy, moist, and buttery, right up until it's dry. Then it just feels normal. I don't think that's how it's supposed to be....I think somewhere in between the shower and my scarf, my hair just loses all the extra moisture.

Should I try air drying my hair, instead of using a hood dryer? :perplexed

I've never used a protein treatment while steaming, and I never will. I don't want to risk my progress.

But to answer Chaosbutterfly's question on sealing the cuticle after steaming, I have found that a teaspoon (or 2) of vinegar in appx. 16 oz. of water, in a spray bottle works great. I let my hair sit for about 30 minutes after steaming, then I spray hair (with the conditioner still on it) with the vinegar mix, then rinse. HTH!

I agree with you on the reconstructor...I steamed in my Motions CPR, and I lost a little more hair than usual when I rinsed, so I won't be trying that again.

But for ladies that steam with great results, I'm curious as to how you close your cuticles afterwards. And how do you guys dry your hair?

I was looking at threads on here about steamers, and some people were talking about how a steamer will actually dry out your hair more, if you don't close your cuticles well after using it. And I've noticed that my hair will feel really heavy, moist, and buttery, right up until it's dry. Then it just feels normal. I don't think that's how it's supposed to be....I think somewhere in between the shower and my scarf, my hair just loses all the extra moisture.

Should I try air drying my hair, instead of using a hood dryer? :perplexed

If I steam in a Protein Deep Conditioning Treatment, I will also Steam in a Moisturizing Deep Conditioner or at the very least, a Moisturizing Deep Conditioner Final Rinse. :look:

I also use Moisture after Protein. i.e. 20 Minutes Steam Protein + 20-30 Minutes Steam Moisture. Or Use a Moisturizing Conditioner as a Conditioning Rinse after the Protein Treatment.:yep:

I use a Reconstructor Weekly, and unless it specifies to use 'with Heat' I will apply for the 5-10 minutes just with a Plastic Cap (no Heat).

After Steaming, I always allow my Hair to Sit/Rest about 20 minutes (until it appears 'less swollen', if that makes sense). I never rinse out directly. I allow my hair to sit awhile.

Then I will Rinse out with Cool/Tepid Water and use PC to Restore/Flatten that Cuticle and Lock In/Seal that Moisture In.

No Problems............:yep:

Can you get the same effect from showering? I want this in my hair tools supply eventually.

In a word "NO".

The closest you might get is a wet towel, microwaved or dipped in boiling water, squeeze out excess water and put on hair over a deep conditioner and then a plastic cap over that, then sit under a dryer to maintain the heat.

But, I have tried the method mentioned by Frizzy because I had a standup hooded dryer and I think it is just as effective.

I think rinsing with cold water will seal the cuticle.

Does anyone henna under the steamer? If so, how long and will the color take enough to cover grays? I'm trying to get away from sitting with henna for 3 or 4 hours.

I think rinsing with cold water will seal the cuticle.

Does anyone henna under the steamer? If so, how long and will the color take enough to cover grays? I'm trying to get away from sitting with henna for 3 or 4 hours.

Taz007 Steams Her Henna:yep: You may want to pm her.

There is no problem in using protein to steam your hair, quite the opposite in fact, it's the most effective way of getting protein into your strands. Just as long as you follow the protein with a moisture conditioner you shouldn't have any problems. You cannot use the steamer for hard protein treatments though ie Emergencee and Aphogee 2 Step.

I always allow my hair to cool down then I will rinse and use PC to close the cuticle then rinse again with water as cold as I can stand it.

Chaos I always use my hood dryer for my rollerset after I finish DC'ing. I never air dry and my hair is always smooth and moisturised.

Love my steamer!!

Pros
My hair was shedding and now after a week of steaming the shedding has completely stopped.
My hair is very dry so the winter really gives it a beating. My hair feels alot better now.
When I DC and then rinse out my hair, OMG the conditioner just melts away all the knots.
Very therapeutic. Well to me anyway. With all the stress I have in my life this is a great way to get rid of stress.

Cons
The price tag. It cost me $119 at salonsrus.com
Its pretty big and takes up much room.

I say and I say again I LOVE MY STEAMER!!

To described steaming volumizes your conditioners and treatment. It infuses moisture into the strand and you can def feel the difference. I love it and highly recommend a steamer.

TREAT YA'SELF DON'T CHEAT YA'SELF!!!! HA!! Now that's funny!

I declare that i love my steamer too..but i'm quite short and i have a small midriff if that makes sense (my legs make up most of my height) so when i sit down i can't get the steamer head to stoop down to my level even with the adjuster so i have to prop myslef with pillows lool
I only used it for 10-15 minutes yesterday and my hair shrunk! the curls popped and it was smooth but it was only until it dried that i noticed how soft and silky it felt.

LOVE ITTT!!

I think i will be buying one next week. Salons r us is sold out till the 30th of this month and the price is $119. Im determined to take care of my hair like i never have before and from what im reading about steamers i think its well worth $119 bucks, for me at least. Im going to get in touch with Salons r us and see if they have a waiting list if not then i will order ASAP cause i have a feeling they will be selling out again soon.

Back