Steam cap vs. plastic cap under dryer?

How do you steam your hair?

• Total voters

princesmich

Hi guys, I was just looking into getting a steam cap, do you guys regularly use this, does it really make a difference or is it the same as walking around the house with a regular plastic cap or going under the dryer for 10 minutes, please give me some insight. I have used a steam cap over 10 years ago, my hair was healthy but I really don't know if this contributed. Please Help. Thanks

DTG thanks, the one i was looking into was plastic but it has coils in it, it gets really hot and it has a band to secure it under your chin. Has anyone used this one, it's usually blue.

i'd been using plastic caps for months but the only way to get all the hair warmed was to keep throwing damp towels in the microwave.

it'd take about 4 trips the to the microwave (nice tip girls). but still, when i stuck a finger under the cap, some parts of my hair were not warm at all especially the middle to ends :(.

so saw one of these at the BSS yesterday and brought it home.

http://cameobeauty.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=Cameo&Product_Code=4359&Category_Code=GoldNHot

gonna try it maybe tomorrow for a nice deep conditioning.....i hope it works like it's supposed to hehe.

now i'm curious about that steamer....

I like the idea of the steam caps with the microwaveable packs in them, that way there's no cords and I can get house work done or what ever while conditioning.

I saw one online recently...can't remember where, I'll post a link when I find one.

J

I use my heating cap when I don't have the time to sit around the house for a day or so using a plastic cap with no heat (which works as well). To keep my mind off of not being able to move around with my corded heat cap I put on a good movie and by the time it's over my hair has been conditioned.

I use a wet turban. I wet the turban with hot water place it on my head with the plastic cap and then get under dryer. I love the way my hair feels.

I use a plastic cap with the heating cap pulled over it. Gets the job done in 15 minutes.

A cool alternative

treasuredlocks_1912_764236

This jammy looks pretty cool, I'm a multi tasker so I hate being trapped by my cord...

I saw it some where as low as $14.00 bucks...

The patented Micro Hair Cap is a great way to give your hair those deep penetrating treatments necessary for its best care. The microwaveable cordless thermal cap allows you to do your treatments without a cord tying you down. The gentle heat opens your cuticles, allowing your favorite hot oil treatment or conditioner to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft.

You can shower, do chores or just relax with no noisy hair dryers and no cords. No more sore shoulders from holding a hand-held dryer up next to the plastic bag on your head for 20 minutes! And it's priced at less than the cost of a hand held hair dryer.

This heat cap is a proven breakthrough that really works. It has been on the market since 2000 and more than 10,000 have been sold. The thermal conditioning cap contains gel packs that heat in your microwave in less than 2 minutes and stay hot for up to 30 minutes. Optionally, the gel packs can be removed and heated in boiling water. The cap gets up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit and has been proven to be hot enough to set permanent hair color. The conditioning cap works on all hair types and textures. It cuts down on the time to comb out and press Black hair without overdrying your hair and without the discomfort from forced air hair dryers. Save the hair dryer for the final drying and styling of your hair.

For treatments that require more than 30 minutes (such as the Natural-Laxer), simply pop the entire cap back into the microwave for a minute or so and it's good for another 30 minutes.The hair cap is washable and the gel-paks are replaceable. Always use with a plastic liner to protect the hair cap from soiling.

Uses:
  • Hot oil treatments
  • Deep conditioning
  • Baka Natural-Laxer
  • Hair Dyes
  • Henna

I seem to get better results with a steam cap than the plastic cap.
I love my Mastex heating cap it's the best I have ever used because it gets really hot just like the hooded dryer and heat the hole head not just the front.
These steam caps are not that expensive and really last a long time.
Gold and Hot heating caps sucks.

B_Phlyy said:
I use a plastic cap with the heating cap pulled over it. Gets the job done in 15 minutes.

This is what I do also. Sometimes I'll throw on a hooded sweatshirt (during the winter), and just tie the hood down. Extra, extra warmth!!! :D

miracle said:
This is what I do also. Sometimes I'll throw on a hooded sweatshirt (during the winter), and just tie the hood down. Extra, extra warmth!!! :D

That sounds cool. But I normally sit under the dryer.

LHCF sistas you are creative when it comes to steaming your hair, I've never heard of towels in the microwave or microwavable caps till now. Do you see a vast difference in the health of your hair since you've been steaming?

LABETT, where did you purchase your steam cap?

LABETT said:
I love my Mastex heating cap it's the best I have ever used because it gets really hot just like the hooded dryer and heat the hole head not just the front.

princesmich said:
Ladies do you steam after every wash, and has this vastly improve the health of your hair?

I only do it once or twice a week. I think it definitely helped because I never used to do it. I am thinking of increasing it to 4 times a week because of a setback.

I've used all methods discussed so far in this thread and honestly, I didn't see much a difference with any of them. Currently, I just tie a grocery bag on my head and leave it there for about an hour. Just in case, I'm going to go back to using my heated cap (just like the one shown on the first page) for about a month or two and see if there is any difference.

They sure do! :mad:

I'm either gonna get the Mastex cap or the Micro one...

LABETT said:

well i used my gold n hot for first time tonight and i liked it.

worked fine - all hair nice an warm.

i nearly dozed off :eek:.

Re: A cool alternative

AtlantaJJ said:
treasuredlocks_1912_764236

This jammy looks pretty cool, I'm a multi tasker so I hate being trapped by my cord...

I saw it some where as low as $14.00 bucks...

The patented Micro Hair Cap is a great way to give your hair those deep penetrating treatments necessary for its best care. The microwaveable cordless thermal cap allows you to do your treatments without a cord tying you down. The gentle heat opens your cuticles, allowing your favorite hot oil treatment or conditioner to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft.

You can shower, do chores or just relax with no noisy hair dryers and no cords. No more sore shoulders from holding a hand-held dryer up next to the plastic bag on your head for 20 minutes! And it's priced at less than the cost of a hand held hair dryer.

This heat cap is a proven breakthrough that really works. It has been on the market since 2000 and more than 10,000 have been sold. The thermal conditioning cap contains gel packs that heat in your microwave in less than 2 minutes and stay hot for up to 30 minutes. Optionally, the gel packs can be removed and heated in boiling water. The cap gets up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit and has been proven to be hot enough to set permanent hair color. The conditioning cap works on all hair types and textures. It cuts down on the time to comb out and press Black hair without overdrying your hair and without the discomfort from forced air hair dryers. Save the hair dryer for the final drying and styling of your hair.

For treatments that require more than 30 minutes (such as the Natural-Laxer), simply pop the entire cap back into the microwave for a minute or so and it's good for another 30 minutes.The hair cap is washable and the gel-paks are replaceable. Always use with a plastic liner to protect the hair cap from soiling.

Uses:
  • Hot oil treatments
  • Deep conditioning
  • Baka Natural-Laxer
  • Hair Dyes
  • Henna

I want one of those!!! :look:

LABETT said:

Yah, I have a gold and hot heating cap and I want to replace it. It seems that my hair do not get the heat all over my head. I twist my hair and pull up on top of my head so my ends can get the heat. I am going to look into the Mastex heating cap. Where did you get yours? Can I order it online? I'm an online junkie...too lazy to go out looking:)

Last edited:
tsmith said:
I'm sorry if this sounds slow, but is the steam cap the same as the heating cap.:confused:

A steam cap and heating cap are NOT the same. A heating cap just uses heat to condition your hair while a steam cap uses contained steam to heat it. The difference is that with the steam you are using moisture to heat you heair which can be an added bonus, but either one is great.
HTH!!!!

cutiebe2 said:
A steam cap and heating cap are NOT the same. A heating cap just uses heat to condition your hair while a steam cap uses contained steam to heat it. The difference is that with the steam you are using moisture to heat you heair which can be an added bonus, but either one is great.
HTH!!!!

oooohhhhh....I wanna steam cap...:)

Back