Steam cap vs. plastic cap under dryer?

How do you steam your hair?

• Total voters
pattycake0701 said:
I've used all methods discussed so far in this thread and honestly, I didn't see much a difference with any of them. Currently, I just tie a grocery bag on my head and leave it there for about an hour. Just in case, I'm going to go back to using my heated cap (just like the one shown on the first page) for about a month or two and see if there is any difference.

I do this to but throw a hot towel underneath to generate steam. Best bags for the job; whole foods plastic bags:lol:

-A

I'm usually rocking the plastic cap with a towel wrapped around my head for a hour or so. Sometimes I heat a wet towel by microwaving it and wrap that around my head over the plastic cap. I gotta get a hooded dryer.

LynnieB said:
now i'm curious about that steamer....

Not to hijack, but I bought a Pibbs Misty Steamer from E-Bay and used it for the first time last night - My hair came out so soft and moisturized. I am going to put together a review after a couple months use.

Yeah if I go the professional steamer route, "ll probably get mine from eBay as well...and put it in my second bedroom. They're just so expensive but I know they are well worth it...or I can just get a steam cap.

I was just using a plastic cap (used 2) and microwaving wet towels, but this got to be a pain so I broke down and bought the Hot n' Gold Conditioning cap. Helps to speed up my Amla prepoo as well. Tis the season and I don't have time to dawdle around the house all day doing my hair and this helps alot. Plus, my DCs come out so much better.

I saw that one while I was searching on google and before I got the one on ebay...well it produces steam and that's what we're looking for so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

angellazette said:
I saw that one while I was searching on google and before I got the one on ebay...well it produces steam and that's what we're looking for so I don't see why it wouldn't work.
How long does one have to be under a steam cap? The website said the cap cap be kept on for 3 minutes. That doesn't seem too long, but I guess I could always put it back in the micro a few more times.

I voted plastic cap combined with my body heat. However, I just ordered and received a very nice professional quality conditioning cap. It is the Mastex Thermal Spa Professional Conditioning Heat Cap. I was going to purchase the Gold N' Hot cap, but the online reviews weren't very favorable. The Mastex comes with a liner that is worn over the hair in conjunction with the heat cap. I am looking forward to trying out the heat cap this weekend.

I voted plastic cap combined with my body heat. However, I just ordered and received a very nice professional quality conditioning cap. It is the Mastex Thermal Spa Professional Conditioning Heat Cap. I was going to purchase the Gold N' Hot cap, but the online reviews weren't very favorable. The Mastex comes with a liner that is worn over the hair in conjunction with the heat cap. I am looking forward to trying out the heat cap this weekend.

I was looking at this the other day. Could you post your thoughts on it once you have tried it out?

thanks in advance,
tishee

Anyone steam their hair w/ a plastic cap in a steam room?

I just got a membership at a gym and I'm planning to use the steam room. I will put conditioner and a plastic cap on my hair before I go in. Anyone already doing this???...Does it help???

Re: A cool alternative

Which cap are you referring to?

treasuredlocks_1912_764236

This jammy looks pretty cool, I'm a multi tasker so I hate being trapped by my cord...

I saw it some where as low as $14.00 bucks...

The patented Micro Hair Cap is a great way to give your hair those deep penetrating treatments necessary for its best care. The microwaveable cordless thermal cap allows you to do your treatments without a cord tying you down. The gentle heat opens your cuticles, allowing your favorite hot oil treatment or conditioner to penetrate deeply into the hair shaft.

You can shower, do chores or just relax with no noisy hair dryers and no cords. No more sore shoulders from holding a hand-held dryer up next to the plastic bag on your head for 20 minutes! And it's priced at less than the cost of a hand held hair dryer.

This heat cap is a proven breakthrough that really works. It has been on the market since 2000 and more than 10,000 have been sold. The thermal conditioning cap contains gel packs that heat in your microwave in less than 2 minutes and stay hot for up to 30 minutes. Optionally, the gel packs can be removed and heated in boiling water. The cap gets up to 130 degrees Fahrenheit and has been proven to be hot enough to set permanent hair color. The conditioning cap works on all hair types and textures. It cuts down on the time to comb out and press Black hair without overdrying your hair and without the discomfort from forced air hair dryers. Save the hair dryer for the final drying and styling of your hair.

For treatments that require more than 30 minutes (such as the Natural-Laxer), simply pop the entire cap back into the microwave for a minute or so and it's good for another 30 minutes.The hair cap is washable and the gel-paks are replaceable. Always use with a plastic liner to protect the hair cap from soiling.

Uses:
  • Hot oil treatments
  • Deep conditioning
  • Baka Natural-Laxer
  • Hair Dyes
  • Henna
[/quote]

I use my heating cap when I don't have the time to sit around the house for a day or so using a plastic cap with no heat (which works as well).

^^^ Same here. It really depends on my time, but the steam cap generates much more heat than when DC with a plastic cap along. I think if time is not an issue, the steam cap is the way to go to make the most of out your DC :yep:.

Back