Starting with very short afro hair

chocolate

Hi all, has anyone had any success with hair growing, by starting with ver short hair 1/4 - 2 inch afro textured natural hair.

I had bald patches of hair in September last year and eventually after a month or so I could braid with half an inch or so of hair.

I now have 5-6 inches of hair, so I guess it is a small success. I am natural 4a and I have braided 2 months at a time with my hair open during holidays for 2 weeks (can't handle more than that)

Braids are excellent for growth. Try http://www.growafrohairlong.com

See the testimonies or gallery section. Den 1 who is a member here is getting to waistlength natural hair.

yes. i shaved my hair bald last year. now i have about 7 inches of very managable natural hair and its on the grow! in the winter i wear twists from Sunday night - Thursday and wear a twist-out on the weekends.

since it's warmer i do a daily conditioner wash and wear it out and free. i'm very happy with my hair these days!

I have 3-4 inches of natural hair that is layered. On December 27 I shaved my head bald. I didn't cut it short, I went completely bald! I guess growing 3-4 inches(from roots to ends) of hair in 5 months is pretty good. Trust me your hair will grow. I also put braids in my hair 2 weeks ago so I can retain more lenght.

Short afro hair can grow long just like any other. The first time I went natural, I cut the relaxer out. I don't remember exactly how long it was--maybe a couple of inches. Anyway, my hair grew to brastrap in 3 years. I kept it in braids & twists. Then I got a relaxer. Now I'm natural again, but I won't relax this time. So afro hair can grow. You just need to take care of the ends.

Me!
smile.gif
I started with a shaved head then grew out (like two inches) and kept it in a culry little afro for over 5 years. I then grew it out completely a few years ago.

-lee

I put box braids in my hair, Tuesday, could'nt braid sides and back, but was wondering, do you wash and condition every day while the braids are in. Had even started dreads, but I don't think they agreed with me.

I had about a 1/2 inch of hair in Jan 2003, and now I have 3-4 inches. I am very pleased and am confident that I can grow my 4b hair long.

I am in cornrows right now, and hope this will be an option to help keep my head cool and grow my hair long.

Tracy

i found this to be a very helpful thread for those with very short hair (like me) trying to grow it out. :up:

omg, Poohbear, i haven't seen you on here in a while! how are you? well we dont know each other well or anything but i was just thinking that i hadn't seen you around.. or maybe it's me :lol: either way, HELLO!

I did the big chop about two and a half years ago. At that point I had about 3 months of new growth, so my hair was really short.

My hair was short - nothing in the back and about 3" bangs. I started growing my hair May 2004. My hair is currently about 5 1/2" in the back and still growing out of the layers.
Just being gentle and finding what works for my hair helped me. My hair loves natural products, no heat, castor oil & shea butter as moisturizers. At that length I did alot of twist outs.

Happy Hair Growing!

Back