Sponge rollers

Do sponge rollers cause damage to the hair? Does anyone here use them to create cute hairstyles? You know someone once told me they were actually good for your hair, is this a myth?

Hi Meinzzfuture
Yes, I've used sponge rollers in the past, however, I can't single the sponge rollers out as the culprit to my past hair dryness, only because I was using them along with Pink Lotion, other mineral oil based products, hardening gels/spritz, hot curling, blowdrying and other damaging things.

However, I can say that "sponge rollers" are first and foremost a "SPONGE"; sponges absorb water; I really can't see how a sponge roller would be any different...even with the use of end papers; It more than likely would absorb much needed water/moisture from your hair, resulting in dryness which can cause damage (if the moisture is not replenished).
HTH
Peachtree

Yes after reading this i tried to search through old posts and i found some on longhairlovers about sponge rollers. They said that there are satin covered sponge rollers so i guess thats an alternative. Sponge absorbs water. very good logic indeed.

i believe that sponge rollers being good for the hair is a myth. however, i do use Caruso rollers, which have sponge on them. the only difference is they're left on for just a few minutes... not long enough to absorb moisture from the hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

I use sponge rollers every now and then but I make sure to coat my ends with either a leave in like Humectress or a ton of Jojoba oil so my hair doesn't dry out.
I don't think that they are good to use every night b/c sponge does absorb water and will do so in your hair but they can't be worse than using the hot curling iron on your hair every day, which is what I would be doing if I didn't curl with the sponge rollers.
The curls w/ sponge rollers usually last 3-4 days which is much longer than what the curling iron curls last.
Valleygirl

I used they years ago when my mom use to hot comb my natural hair...but in my experience with relaxed hair they dry mine out. I can use them once and it would be fine, but continued use make my hair real dry! The ones covered in satin I would assume would be fine. There is a women on Ebay selling some she makes herself. Look under "Satin Hair Rollers" and you should she her products. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like the others have said not only does the sponge dry out your hair, but in my experience it lead to breakage as well, when my hair strands would get tangled in the holes/bubbles of the sponge from the roller. I say beware and if you must then use the end papers. Oh, did I mention the ugly "crimps" the sponge rollers leave, *shuddering, remembering my elementry school bang crimps!* /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I use sponge rollers. More often when I was younger though. I always make sure I oil my hair before using them.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Yes after reading this i tried to search through old posts and i found some on longhairlovers about sponge rollers. They said that there are satin covered sponge rollers so i guess thats an alternative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meinzzfuture, I know that I dissed the sponge rollers earlier in this thread, but you gave me an ideal when you mentioned "satin covered" ones....I had to give it a try.

I purchased some extra large sponge rollers &amp; covered them with satin cloth. I did my usual hot oil/wash/deep condition/leave-in conditioner &amp; oil routine. I sectioned the hair into 4 ponytails, used the ponytail drying method &amp; put the sponge rollers on the ends. (Because my hair is thick, I had to put 3 rollers on each ponytail to ensure not to overload the rollers; don't want hair to catch in the snaps); I also lined the roller with end papers &amp; used end papers on my ends (as a "back up" plan).

I kid you not, once it dried, it looked like I had set my hair on magnetic rollers with the hooded dryer! I was soooo impressed. Believe me, I was looking carefully for any sign of dryness, or just yucky ends...I could not find it. My husband thought that I had broke down &amp; went to a beautician (and he knows that I haven't let them near my hair in 10 yrs). It feels healthy &amp; moisturized like a "braid out", but it looks like a "roller set".

I'm feeling really good now; I have additional alternatives to the dreaded 2 hr roller set.....yip-peeeeeee /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

So, to answer your question....well at least for me, sponge rollers covered in satin, lined with end papers &amp; hair ends in end papers is safe for the hair.

God Bless,
Peachtree

Back