Split Ends: Why is it so important to

It~Can~Grow

trim, cut a split end?

You know I'm thinking on a very basic level when it comes to hair...my knowledge is admittedly limited..however, why does a split strand, independent of all other strands, need to be cut in order to avoid problems with the rest of the strands?

I thought "well, yeah the split looks ugly, but why the rush to cut? This single strand only impacts itself, right?"

Just curious...wanna gain knowledge :grin:

Last edited:
Re: Split Ends: Why is so important to

I dunno. :lol: I think the idea is that if you cut it off, it won't 'run up' the strand and cause it to break off, but otherwise - I dunno. I don't worry about them, personally - but I think having curls gives you the luxury of that option. A straight haired head full of split ends is just - well :perplexed

Because the split can travel up the strand from the end.

Again, thinking simple here :spinning: is the sense of urgency so that I only end up cutting maybe an inch off - instead of allowing it to travel the length of the strand and loosing the entire strand?

I just started another post about my split end issue :ohwell:

But for my hair, once I cut off the majority of my split ends, my hair actually is less tangled. I’m no hair expert either but I think it has something to do with raised cuticles. When the cuticles are not raised, the hair is smoother and is less prone to tangling with other raised cuticles. Smooth hair rubbing against smooth hair = less tangles.

I dunno. :lol: I think the idea is that if you cut it off, it won't 'run up' the strand and cause it to break off, but otherwise - I dunno. I don't worry about them, personally - but I think having curls gives you the luxury of that option. A straight haired head full of split ends is just - well :perplexed

That makes sense :yep:

I just started another post about my split end issue :ohwell:

But for my hair, once I cut off the majority of my split ends, my hair actually is less tangled. I’m no hair expert either but I think it has something to do with raised cuticles. When the cuticles are not raised, the hair is smoother and is less prone to tangling with other raised cuticles. Smooth hair rubbing against smooth hair = less tangles.

This is a good point. Too many split ends can lead to tangles, which can cause them and/or other healthy ends to break off during detangling.

Again, thinking simple here :spinning: is the sense of urgency so that I only end up cutting maybe an inch off - instead of allowing it to travel the length of the strand and loosing the entire strand?

Correct! I should know this stuff like the back of my hand. :ohwell: As I used to never want to get my hair trimmed. :nono: When you cut 1/4 inch to 1 inch you prevent the split end from dividing all the way to the root and eventually loosing the entire strand.

Just think of how strong 1 strand is (not very strong to begin with). So when it's split in half think of how much weaker a strand will be. Therefore when you hold on to split ends your hair becomes weaker and your ends become very see thru .

Back