Spinoff: Your response when a new guy wants to chill on the couch and watch a movie?

Re: Spinoff: Your response when a new guy wants to chill on the couch and watch a mov

Depends on what you want out of the deal then decide accordingly. :look:

Exactly, I agree with you. I dont see anything wrong with this if you are comfortable with the person you are seeing. Plus Im a homebody so I dont need to go out everytime we see each other.

But has anybody thought that this isnt a first date or a date period that she's talking about? She just said chill on the couch and watch a movie. I do that with friends/associates and its cool. And has anybody thought that she might've already went out on a few dates with this guy already (for those who answered maybe after a few dates)? She said the guy was new but she didnt give a timeline. Personally, I consider guys new within the first six months. After six months if I hadnt been to his house at least once Im going to think something is up.

Re: Spinoff: Your response when a new guy wants to chill on the couch and watch a mov

Another one bites the dust.

Do you just say you don't want to chill on the couch and watch a movie or do you have a better comeback/excuse?

I'd just say no thanks and suggest something else.

Men ask that particular question for a couple or reasons. It's code for I want to play around but I don't want to make you feel like you are a slut so I'm going to ask you in a round about way if you'll play around even though you don't know me that way. :look:

Who said anything about a first date?

You were answering the OP's question which was referring to getting to know a 'new' guy so I assumed we were talking about first, second, or even a third date, where you are trying to get to know the guy.

Well your first post said "I don't see a problem with it". So I was honestly asking if you thought this would be appropriate for a first date.:ohwell: I guess you do see a problem with it judging by your response to me.

Why do you have to go out and get to know someone? If I feel like just chilling at home then that's what I'm going to do. I don't know what is so wrong about a guy suggesting that. Maybe he's tired, whatever. What does that supposed to mean? I don't know if that some kind of secret code or whatnot. Are you suggesting he's cheap? I don't play games or hard to get.

Because it is usally code for " i wanna get u in my place so we can do the do"

I have tried this date a few times and it always involved him driving strong to the hoop, if you know what i mean

I'd just say no thanks and suggest something else.

Men ask that particular question for a couple or reasons. It's code for I want to play around but I don't want to make you feel like you are a slut so I'm going to ask you in a round about way if you'll play around even though you don't know me that way. :look:

Thank you!!!!!

In a new relationship you should be doing dating activities that involve talking and getting to know each other. There is nothing wrong with an occasional movie, but I prefer to really get to know a guy before we become homebodies.

First few dates I can't tell if he seems to have the tendency to act like a psycho-killer and I usually tell guys so... This is just as important to me as the sexual connotations with these kinds of dates. I don't even let guys pick me up the first few dates. I'd rather not be body #4 in his basement :look:

Usually, the guy doesn't even know where my house is until like the 5th date.

Anyways, if some guy say to me they just want to sit on the couch and watch a movie, I just play stupid and say, " I can do that by myself, I ain't trying to sit on no couch."

That's not a date, sweetheart. If he's new, then you should only do public outings, IMO. If he suggests this, then kindly suggest something else that you would like to do. If he disagrees or tries to change your mind then, say "Maybe it would be better if we rescheduled for another time." That will knock some sense into him. If he wants to see you, then he will oblige, and make other plans with you.

I agree with you 110%. Speaking from my personal experience, it's also easier for boundaries to get blurred and things to move quickly when most of your time together is spent behind closed doors. :perplexed

Do you just say you don't want to chill on the couch and watch a movie or do you have a better comeback/excuse?

Someone you just met? No, they are trying to 'feel you out' and see if you are worth 'really dating' perhaps. Where is the challenge? You're basically letting them set the tone from the get-go and low-ball you from the get go.

I would say no and suggest something else. But I would be leary of anything more than 'chilling' from someone like that. In my experience, if you JUST meet a guy and he is REALLY INTO YOU, he wants to take you, impress, show you off, show you a good time or whatever. This sit on the couch, chill and get a movie is NOT dating.

See this is a good example to me of how people get dating and friends confused. And then later misinterpret the relationship when its gone physical and we're surprised he didn't want to 'committ'.

If you know said person for X amount of time, talked as friends casually....talked on the phone, etc. then he asks you to go out on a date, I would then say you are 'dating'....If you start off with hanging out at your house or his house "chiling" that seems like a 'friend' who is not sure if he wants to 'date' you just yet.

No couch dating...it gets old real quick :down:

Absolutely not. No man will be in my home for the minimum of 3 months. Either take me out or leave me alone. Taking me out is not optional. If you don't want to go out, don't ask me. If you can't afford to take me out obviously you're not too bright anyway b/c the park is free and so are museums on certain days. It's not about money, it's about:
a) my personal safety and comfort
b) it will NOT become a habit (hanging out in the house)

Even so, chilling at home is not a good thing for celibate people. I don't put myself in any situations where things could go further than necessary.

ETA: I just tell him that I'd rather go out. If he doesn't then I ask to reschedule. If he wants to see me he will find a way to take me out.

ITA!!! Especially the bolded!

Absolutely not. No man will be in my home for the minimum of 3 months. Either take me out or leave me alone. Taking me out is not optional. If you don't want to go out, don't ask me. If you can't afford to take me out obviously you're not too bright anyway b/c the park is free and so are museums on certain days. It's not about money, it's about:
a) my personal safety and comfort
b) it will NOT become a habit (hanging out in the house)

Even so, chilling at home is not a good thing for celibate people. I don't put myself in any situations where things could go further than necessary.

ETA: I just tell him that I'd rather go out. If he doesn't then I ask to reschedule. If he wants to see me he will find a way to take me out.

what she said.

Back