Spinoff: Who Wears Wigs As A Protective Style?

Bouncy Curls

I love wearing wigs as a protective style(no I am not old:lol: ) and I know from the other thread many ladies here are NOT big fans of them. I thought it would be interesting to know how many here wear them and how has your hair benefited from wearing them. If you don't mind, can you please explain what types you wear for example: Full wig, half wig, lace etc. Thanks!

Last edited:
I wear them :grin: I actually just bought my first wig (half wig) sometime in November 2006 and I loved the simplicity of it. I could easily wash, moisturize and oil my hair and add what ever growth aids I'm using (Surge, MTG,etc) easily as well. I tried the lace fronts but that didn't work out. I'm going to invest in at least one more half wig and use them this year as my main protective. Here's a pic of my first half wig...I fooled many people, they actually thought it was real....I was loving it though :lol:

curlyquickweavesml.jpg

ak46 said:
I wear them :grin: I actually just bought my first wig (half wig) sometime in November 2006 and I loved the simplicity of it. I could easily wash, moisturize and oil my hair and add what ever growth aids I'm using (Surge, MTG,etc) easily as well. I tried the lace fronts but that didn't work out. I'm going to invest in at least one more half wig and use them this year as my main protective. Here's a pic of my first half wig...I fooled many people, they actually thought it was real....I was loving it though :lol:

curlyquickweavesml.jpg

That is CUTE!!! I want to find one like that :yep:

Bouncy Curls said:
That is CUTE!!! I want to find one like that :yep:

Thank You :) . I got it for $20 the BSS. I thought it wouldn't look right on me at first, but then I just grew to love it.

I've worn them off and on for the past 4 years. Mostly half wigs... I love them!

Here's my fav: (And it was synthetic ;))

n5703142_30876837_5904.jpg

Last edited:
bmoreflyygirl said:
I've worn them off and on for the past 4 years. Mostly half wigs... I love them!

Here's my fav: (And it was synthetic ;))

n5703142_30876837_5904.jpg

OH Wow!!! That looks so real too! You know what, I am going to have to get with these half wigs. They do look more realistic than the full ones. Very pretty

I just started wearing half-wigs as my protective style of choice. So far, I'm loving it! It works for me and my lifestyle. I also started working out and I can rinse my hair as often as I please, not use any heat, and hide it up under my wig as it grows.

Bouncy Curls said:
OH Wow!!! That looks so real too! You know what, I am going to have to get with these half wigs. They do look more realistic than the full ones. Very pretty

Thanks! That was right after my last relaxer in April. Best $19.99 I ever spent :lol: Oh yeah, it has a drawstring in it so you can wear it as a phony pony too. I have oodles pictures of other ones in my fotki.

bmoreflyygirl said:
Thanks! That was right after my last relaxer in April. Best $19.99 I ever spent :lol: Oh yeah, it has a drawstring in it so you can wear it as a phony pony too. I have oodles pictures of other ones in my fotki.

I cannot believe the prices you ladies are paying. Not bad at all! And to be able to use it as a phony. The best of both worlds! :lol: If you don't mind, can you PM me your password?

I have worn wigs all through out 2006. as of this weekend though i will get braids. I havent worn my own natural hair down because i am not used to wearing it without a relaxer. would never show my hair in its natural state at work. anyway, i got tired of wigs. i bought the human hair all the time. i now wear a short blunt cut for flexibility in wearing it at the gym.

Last edited:
zailless said:
I have worn wigs all through out 2006. as of this weekend though i will get braids. I havent worn my own natural hair down because i am not used to wearing it without a relaxer. would never show my hair in its natural state at work. anyway, i got tired of wigs. i bought the human hair all the time. i now wear a short blunt cut for flexibility in wearing it at the gym. here is a picture of my first wig. myspace.com/aurimoi. this was back in february. im all worn out though. i wont touch wigs ever again. i am just tired of them. i cant date with a wig and so now it has become a thorn in my side. but it works for moisturizing even baggying underneath. beware of the wig cap. it can break your hair line. apart from that wigs are fun. i had my weekend wig, my work wig and my stunner wigs. the wig in my pic was my work wig so it looked ordinary and flat but it was human hair it said on the tag.

That wig also looks VERY nice and you are very pretty also.

I am wigging it out as we speak. I've been doing so since the beginning of Decemeber 2006 and its been great. I'm wearing it for the winter but since my BC I might sport it a little longer so my hair can grow out.

Occasionally I will. Mainly, I wear ponies and/or add pieces to the back while I transition. I'm not scurred, though.

zailless said:
i wont touch wigs ever again. i am just tired of them. i cant date with a wig and so now it has become a thorn in my side.

why can't u date with a wig

I'm rocking my "flippy" half-wig as we speak (there's a pic of it in my Fotki). I :love: half wigs! My hair is in an in-between stage, so I don't want to wear it down, and it's too short to do a nice bun. It's so easy to just pull my own hair back, pin it down, and throw on a half-wig!

This is my current wig.I just left a little hair out in the front. Ive been on to half wigs for about 3 years. Quick,convenient,& my protective style of choice.

SouthernJewel said:

This is my current wig.I just left a little hair out in the front. Ive been on to half wigs for about 3 years. Quick,convenient,& my protective style of choice.

Me Likey!!!:grin: Niceeeeeee!!!!

I too have been rocking the wigs for about 3 years...agree with what you said:)

SSBD said:
why can't u date with a wig

its more than just the wig. I lost one of my hairline and now i dont take off the wig because its obvious. i dont know how to describe it but i dont feel like a whole woman with my hairline gone. i dont know how to deal with it. i couldnt show that to a guy and i feel like i have no option and that now i am stuck with the wig. i have always been careful with my hairline and it has alwasy been full and all of a sudden i just had this bald patch and i dont feel the same confidence dating. i hope that explains it. when i had my hairline i wore the wig and is ok but now its like i dont have a choice and i resent it a bit. weird stuff but thats why.

To the question about protecting hairline from the wig cap. i never cover my hairline with the wig cap. i cornrow my hair down to the sides and i wear the wig cap where my ear lobe is. i leave the front open. but you cant just leave the wig cap like that you have to rotate where you place it. my first bald patch occured above my ear where the wig cap was sitting. i thought it would have been ok since the cap was resting partially on my scalp and on a cornrow but the scalp was affected and began to itch. so do be careful about rotating the cap. also i would suggest using a circulation type herb. either dr miracles or cayenne pepper, anything to keep the scalp blood circulation during the day.

Last edited:
Sincerely_Ciara said:
I wear my wig just about everyday, what can I do to prevent the wig cap from thinning out my hair line?

For me, if the wig has the band in the back (to make it tighter) I don't fasten it. I make sure the wig fits just right and not too tight and I never get breakage or thinning of the hairline. I have been wearing them for years with no problem. Just make sure the fit is right and not too snug or tight.

SouthernJewel said:

BEAUTIFUL!!! I love it. Color is nice too!

zailless said:
its more than just the wig. I lost one of my hairline and now i dont take off the wig because its obvious. i dont know how to describe it but i dont feel like a whole woman with my hairline gone. i dont know how to deal with it. i couldnt show that to a guy and i feel like i have no option and that now i am stuck with the wig. i have always been careful with my hairline and it has alwasy been full and all of a sudden i just had this bald patch and i dont feel the same confidence dating. i hope that explains it. when i had my hairline i wore the wig and is ok but now its like i dont have a choice and i resent it a bit. weird stuff but thats why.

To the question about protecting hairline from the wig cap. i never cover my hairline with the wig cap. i cornrow my hair down to the sides and i wear the wig cap where my ear lobe is. i leave the front open. but you cant just leave the wig cap like that you have to rotate where you place it. my first bald patch occured above my ear where the wig cap was sitting. i thought it would have been ok since the cap was resting partially on my scalp and on a cornrow but the scalp was affected and began to itch. so do be careful about rotating the cap. also i would suggest using a circulation type herb. either dr miracles or cayenne pepper, anything to keep the scalp blood circulation during the day.

So sorry to hear this. I have been wearing these things for three years and never had any bald spots or thinning. This may sound cheezy but try Surge on your hairline and bald spots. My hairline used to be thin at one time(before wearing wigs and not due to the wigs) and Surge has made it VERY thick . Just a suggestion.

I've been wearing wigs for the past two months and my hairline isn't thinning from it. I moisturize and oil very well before putting the wigcap on.

Because of the board I was recently acquainted with half wigs, got my first one off Golden Market Beauty Supply.com. I love it, but I have to work up the nerve a little to wear it in public and also the inside seems to be made for someone with a rather large head ( I guess mine isn't so big after all!).
If you're going to be wearing one, I strongly suggest making sure your hair is well lubricated and spraying a little sheen spray on the combs to help it glide into the hair. I also wouldn't use it on wet hair. HTHS.

Bouncy Curls said:
I love wearing wigs as a protective style(no I am not old:lol: ) and I know from the other thread many ladies here are NOT big fans of them. I thought it would be interesting to know how many here wear them and how has your hair benefited from wearing them. If you don't mind, can you please explain what types you wear for example: Full wig, half wig, lace etc. Thanks!

I sometimes wear full wig when I'm tired of others protective styles (see my siggy):)

Back