Spinoff: What temperature setting is safe for your hair?

CAPlush

I was really surprised at the temps some people set their flat irons to, and when I searched the internet for information on what temperature the hair permanently deforms at I got a lot of conflicting data, probably because it is different for different hair types in different conditions.

I emailed the stylist who used to press my hair and asked what was an appropriate temperature to flat iron hair and here was her response. I thought it might help some people who decide to use heat.

"I would suggest that you purchase the Lustrasilk Straightening Spray. Not sure if that is the correct name. I will be at the salon this evening and will confirm. It will help to protect your hair and keep it straight longer. My suggestion is to flat iron anywhere at approx. 280-300 being careful not to let the iron set on the hair for too long.

I hope that this helps."

Last edited:
What about those of you who use a maxiglide? I just bought one and did my first "self press". I set it on 6 and used Chi Silk Infusion to press it. I was so scared I'd be damaging my hair cuz I had to go over it again the next day for it to seem straight enough.

It still shrunk up just a little bit but I decided to deal with it cuz I didn't want to use any more heat.

Back