Spinoff: What Causes Tangling and Matting

cocoberry10

This is a spinoff of Locksofluv's thread on stretching relaxers (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=106638).

I too have a serious problem with matting and knotting in the front when I stretch my relaxers to 14 weeks.

I usually wear a bun as a protective style, so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it.

Does anyone know what causes the tangling/matting/knotting and how to prevent it? Thanks!

i've always read that tangling occurs when the cuticles become lifted which causes the strands to grab onto one another.

My stylist also says that damaged hair also causes tangling. Especially when you have hair that never seems to untangle even when freshly relaxed or straightened.

Well I know that when I FIRST started stretching, my hair was severly matted because I didnt comb through it when I washed it..so the shed hair was tangled in with the rest of my hair which caused a big mess. Im a 4a/b and my hair naturally interlocks as it grows so its VERY important that when I wash I comb through and detangle my hair and making sure that shed hair is OUT of my hair so it doesnt get tangled in with the rest of my hair and cause matting.

Last edited:
Babygurl said:
Well I know that when I FIRST started stretching, my hair was severly matted because I didnt comb through it when I washed it..so the shed hair was tangled in with the rest of my hair which caused a big mess. Im a 4a/b and my hair naturally interlocks as it grows so its VERY important that when I wash I comb through and detangle my hair and making sure that shed hair is OUT of my hair so it doesnt get tangled in with the rest of my hair and cause matting.
I agree with this post...this is usually the cause of my tangling as well. Also wrong products on my hair cause tangling. Make sure all shed hairs are combed out.

I had severe tangling issues last night after my wash. It was manly in my crown area, I ended up doing a BC, in the crown, b/c I was just tearing my way through it. I also experienced tangles right at the end, whats up with that?

I also think that product build up and inadequate rinsing can cause tangles. Protein conditioners have to be rinsed out really well or I think the product will sit on the surface of your hair and be very sticky.

Mostly, my problem is raised cuticles. Porosity Control or Motions Moisture Plus lowers your hair pH closing the cuticles, so these products are excellent detanglers for me.

I was just thinking today of starting back using my Porosity control for detangling. I used it after my relaxer a few months ago. I put oil on my hair and then porosity control and put a plastic cap over my hair over night and in the morning my tangles were gone.

Babygurl said:

Babygirl, my hair is the EXACT same way...that's why I wash with conditioner every day if I go longer than say 3 days my hair would be a tangled/matted mess..funny thing is, only the lower back half behind my ears to my nape is this way, this area has to be detangled very well, I make a purpose to stay in the shower as long as necessary to get ALL my shed hair out.

Back