Spinoff: Product Abuse

curlilocs

Ok product junkies let me play devils advocate here.

With all the curly puddings, custards and gels. To poo or no poo. Different types of conditioners, treatments, oils, butters and homemade concoctions that we put on our hair does it ever occur to some that it may be product abuse?

I mean a lot of us probably have a product grave yard under the sink. Or we've been using a product that we thought was giving great results and try something else and little did we know what that stuff could do! I'm not saying not to experiment from time to time, but don't we owe it to ourselves to keep it simple and consistent. Theoretically, shouldn't that be the best way to achieve and maintain optimal hair growth?

Please share your thoughts on this topic!

I can admit to being abusive... but I'm much better now. I've gotten myself down to basics--at least in my head it seems that way... But umm...

I'm trying to only switch products with the season. Right about now --with the warmer weather and all--I would have used Nioxin for everyday washing and something separate for days I wanted to straighten.

But this summer I won't be doing a lot of heat styling if any... I've decided to use one Brand for everyday washing and/or straightening--Aveda Sap Moss shampoo and Conditioner. MnT conditioner will be my leave in since I've stock piled it and I can't seem to let it go... Plus, I'll be styling with Curly and or Meringue. Hopefully this much simpler styling regimen will assist me with reaching my waist length/near waist hair goal for Dec05.

I would love to retire my PJ ways and I think I'm getting close, but I have schizophrenic hair. Products that work well early in my relaxer cycle don't do much for my hair in later weeks. I am trying to learn how to stretch my relaxers and for me it's difficult to find the right product combos to do this. If I were to reduce my stash to the basics, I would want:
shampoo (for everyday use)
regular conditioner (for everday use)
deep conditioner (for occasional use)
moisturizer and/or leave in conditioner

Once I get my regime down pat and my hair in a healthy maintenace phase, I think that the above list is all I'll need. I also think if more companies offered sample sizes many of us PJs would be cured. I can usually tell with 1 or 2 uses if something will work for my hair.

scoobygirl said:
I would love to retire my PJ ways and I think I'm getting close, but I have schizophrenic hair. Products that work well early in my relaxer cycle don't do much for my hair in later weeks. I am trying to learn how to stretch my relaxers and for me it's difficult to find the right product combos to do this. If I were to reduce my stash to the basics, I would want:
shampoo (for everyday use)
regular conditioner (for everday use)
deep conditioner (for occasional use)
moisturizer and/or leave in conditioner

Once I get my regime down pat and my hair in a healthy maintenace phase, I think that the above list is all I'll need. I also think if more companies offered sample sizes many of us PJs would be cured. I can usually tell with 1 or 2 uses if something will work for my hair.

That's good, and that is what I'm trying to do myself. I just don't think it makes sense to continously buy products that essentially are composed of the same elements...just in different order. I am determined to narrow it down!!!

since i live in the depths of hell it seems wise to me to know if more than 1 product will give me the same results or very similar....i dont want to be caught out here in hell when somethin is no longer carried at a store or i cannot afford it at the time....so alternatives are practical to me...and also my hair may stop responding to something....

Hmmm... I use a lot of products, but they each have their own purpose.

Like... I guess I could use just one brand of deep conditioner, but rotating different ones is... more fun :lol: Plus each deep conditioner gives me different things even if they are all good. If I want really sweet smelling hair or really detangled or really moisturized, then I'd use different conditioners.

I'm very consistant, I use the same products, it just happens to be A LOT of them. I can honestly say that there is nothing that I have that I don't use.

ITA with this thread. My current regimen consists of:

1 Shampoo- CON
2 Conditioners- Nexxus Humectress & LeKair Cholesterol (to be used only one at a time)
2 Deep Conditioners- NTM Hair Mask & Motions CPR (to be used only one at a time)
2 Leave-Ins- NTM Silk & QP Recovery

So that's like 7 products too many!!! :lol:

Porsche19 said:
Hmmm... I use a lot of products, but they each have their own purpose.

Like... I guess I could use just one brand of deep conditioner, but rotating different ones is... more fun :lol: Plus each deep conditioner gives me different things even if they are all good. If I want really sweet smelling hair or really detangled or really moisturized, then I'd use different conditioners.

I'm very consistant, I use the same products, it just happens to be A LOT of them. I can honestly say that there is nothing that I have that I don't use.

What she said. :)

Well lets see I do have alot of products....but my hair is schizo. Product combinations that work 1-3 weeks post relaxer don't work when I stretch to 12 weeks. My hair needs different products at different times. So, I don't think I abuse products but I have to admit to being a PJ. I'm definitely into trying new products. I just purchased 2 new products yesterday at Sephora :sekret:

Is this PJA (Product Junkies Anonymous)? :lol:

If that's the case, my name is Tiffany, and I'm a Product Junkie.

Seriously, I have way to many products. And I always say that I'm gonna use stuff up before I try something else. Then I come here and see RAVE this and RAVE that and my PJism flares back up again. I have been good in the past month, but today is payday and my pockets are burning! Got an email from Trade Secret - 10% off my purchase... It's like Pookie with crack, it just keeps calling me....

But, it IS fun to try new things, and like Porche19 said, they do each have a purpose. Now, 10 things in my cabinet may have the SAME purpose, but that's another story... :lol:

I agree with this thread. I was just thinking about this. My hair is natural and the amount of products that I use & my routine are minimal. :up:

curlilocs said:

Ok product junkies let me play devils advocate here.

With all the curly puddings, custards and gels. To poo or no poo. Different types of conditioners, treatments, oils, butters and homemade concoctions that we put on our hair does it ever occur to some that it may be product abuse?

I mean a lot of us probably have a product grave yard under the sink. Or we've been using a product that we thought was giving great results and try something else and little did we know what that stuff could do! I'm not saying not to experiment from time to time, but don't we owe it to ourselves to keep it simple and consistent. Theoretically, shouldn't that be the best way to achieve and maintain optimal hair growth?

Please share your thoughts on this topic!

Well I am currently working on keeping the products I use simple as heck. Mainly I have products I am using up and not repurchasing again.

Guilty. :look: But I have gotten the habit under control. I'm currently using up what I already have on hand and not purchasing more in th meantime.

I have to tell myself everyday, "no more products." You have to say it like you mean it. That being said, at first, you have to experiment to see what works. Try to read other's reviews first so you don't waste your money. But once you find something that works, DO NOT go around cheating trying to find something "better."

caligirl said:
But once you find something that works, DO NOT go around cheating trying to find something "better."

Ditto! I tried cheating on my ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Pak... I'm sorry boo! It wasn't worth it! Will you forgive me???

Back