SpinOff on Donut Buns...For The Shoulder to APL Length Ladies

LaNecia

For the ladies who have longer hair, how do you do your donut buns? Do you use a form or just your hair? If you use a form, what in the world do you do with your ends? I end up smushing mine under the form and it makes my hair :mad: when I do that. I've resorted back to wearing a scruncy around my pontail tail until I get this one figured out!

For those who use their own hair w/out a form, I'd R-E-A-L-L-Y like to know how you do it!

TIA!

VWV

I spread my hair into a fan after I put the donut over it then swoop the ends under smoothly in a circle and pin them with 2-3 pins. Does that make sense?

I use a sock donut.. real homeade. But I fan it out like described above and either use a satin band to hold in place or a scrunchie. Usually a black satin seamless band and tuck the stray hairs around that.

I use my own hair, it's kind of messy, but it's still cute, I just can't do the sock thing. I'll post pics of it soon.

pistachio said:
I use my own hair because the foam dries my hair out.

I combated the dryness by creating a satin donut (in my Fotki album) I used a satin scarf to wrap the donut in. It worked like a charm! ;)

@ Wishn4BSL: It makes sense! Do you bun wet or dry hair? When I bun with wet hair it sticks together and is very hard to fan out evenly around the donut. I'm scared of overcombing my ends and causing breakage/thinning.

@FAMUDiva: I've used a scruncy around my forms but my ends always get smooshed. I usually seal them with Amla Oil tremendously which helps but it's not a cure all.

@TCatt86: Can't wait to see the photos! :)

This is my problem (not knowing what to do with my ends), I put the donut on and then when my hair is evenly around I place a ouchless band around the donut down to the base and then wrap the ends around the ponytail part (in a circular motion around the bun). I airdry and then re-bun every morning and moisturize every night. I have been doing this for 3 weeks and although I have not had any problems I feel like this might mess up my ends. I am thinking about just switching back to the phony pony when I find the textured one that I am looking for.

i dont use socks or a form, i just do it with my own hair because i like how it feels more natural, i dont have to worry about the sock showing, my hair is looser, and my ends don't do weird things.

I just pull all my hair back like I'm making a ponytail, twist it with my hand, and then curve the twisted hiar into a circle to make a bun. Then I pin that or secure it with a band and kind of fan it out and fluff it with my hand. I don't know how much sense that makes...

Pictures of the bun are on my fotki.

I use the foam thingy at Sally's. I have gaps since my ends are still kinda thin, so I took a tip from (forget who is was) and wrapped some synthetic hair that matches my hair color arount the foam. Then blend my hair in with it. No gaps, no dryness. I tuck the ends under as well. I don't use pics though.

kbragg said:
I use the foam thingy at Sally's. I have gaps since my ends are still kinda thin, so I took a tip from (forget who is was) and wrapped some synthetic hair that matches my hair color arount the foam. Then blend my hair in with it. No gaps, no dryness. I tuck the ends under as well. I don't use pics though.

DSD did that with the synthetic hair, she has (had) photos in her Fotki.

I am using a sock bun with hair wrapped around it. I have seen the foam buns around and haven't that about buying it since I know I can make my own buns.

oobrittany said:
Could someone post a pic of the donut yall are using? Also, where do you purchase them?

[SIZE=+1]That's just what I was wondering. I would love to do this to my hair.

OT: VW.......you're pics are lovely. Congrats!
[/SIZE]:)

oobrittany said:
Could someone post a pic of the donut yall are using? Also, where do you purchase them?

They sell donuts at Sally's in different colors.
I guess the only thing I'm missing is how people bun when they're stretching. My edges are militant....

I use a sock bun made from old socks that have holes (hey recycling is where it's at) then I cover it with the leg portion of silky panty hose. It cuts down on dryness and friction.

I pull my hair back into a ponytail that's neat but not super tight, then I slide the donut bun over my ponytail. I fan my hair out around it. I hold the fanned hair and bun with one hand (to keep both in place) then I take a rat tailed comb and using the tail, I tuck the ends with a smooth sweep from left to right (i'm right handed). I keep going all around the bun until the ends are tucked in (still holding my hair and the bun with the left.) When everything's tucked under, I take bobby pins and pin in place. After it's pinned I take a scrunchi and put on. Usually it's whatever I have on hand... I really need to get more satin ones though.

Here's a pic of the finished bun.
bunned1.jpg

delta_gyrl said:
They sell donuts at Sally's in different colors.
I guess the only thing I'm missing is how people bun when they're stretching. My edges are militant....

Four words....

Elasta QP's Mango Butter.

good schtuff! I put it on, slap on a do'rag and when I'm done, everything's laying down. :D

thanks for all the tips...i've been using my draw string pony, but think I may be abe to just use my hair.

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
Four words....

Elasta QP's Mango Butter.

good schtuff! I put it on, slap on a do'rag and when I'm done, everything's laying down. :D

Tried it, no mas.......:lol: The only thing that can lay my edges down is a perm.

ILuvsmuhgrass said:
I use a sock bun made from old socks that have holes (hey recycling is where it's at) then I cover it with the leg portion of silky panty hose. It cuts down on dryness and friction.

I pull my hair back into a ponytail that's neat but not super tight, then I slide the donut bun over my ponytail. I fan my hair out around it. I hold the fanned hair and bun with one hand (to keep both in place) then I take a rat tailed comb and using the tail, I tuck the ends with a smooth sweep from left to right (i'm right handed). I keep going all around the bun until the ends are tucked in (still holding my hair and the bun with the left.) When everything's tucked under, I take bobby pins and pin in place. After it's pinned I take a scrunchi and put on. Usually it's whatever I have on hand... I really need to get more satin ones though.

bunned1.jpg

[SIZE=+1]Thanks......that really helped.[/SIZE]

I use the open form instead of the round one. I pull all of my hair straight back, wrap my moist and baggied ends around the roll, and start rolling up towards my head. When the roll touches my head, I fold it into a circle. My ends are already tucked in, and I use hair pins (not bobby pins) to secure the bun to my head, and wrap a scrunchy around it.

Sometimes I use the open form to make a French Roll instead of a bun. I like having one form that does the job of two.

Wishin4BSL said:
I spread my hair into a fan after I put the donut over it then swoop the ends under smoothly in a circle and pin them with 2-3 pins. Does that make sense?

This is what I do for my daughters hair after misting the ends with water.

I use a homemade sock bun but I used a silk sock (yes, they exist) for the outside of it. I just tuck my hair in around it.

I have enough hair to do a nice full thick bun of my own but I don't want to manipulate my ends and I want to use the baggie to keep my ends moisturized. When I bun my own hair my ends tend to dry out within hours and when I tried using a phony bun, the thing falls off so now I just pull my own hair back into a ponytail and baggie the ends and put a bun cover over the baggie and voila...my version of a bun...it works for me:)

ILuvsmuhgrass said:

bunned1.jpg

Oooh, that's a pretty bun:)

Nice buns ladies!! To those that use foam or a sock, how do you keep your ends from drying out & how often do you redo your bun?

sarel said:
Nice buns ladies!! To those that use foam or a sock, how do you keep your ends from drying out & how often do you redo your bun?

I usually moisturize my ends before I put them up. While goofing off, I made a mix of Talija Wajiid oil, water, infusium 23, honey, and aloe vera gel in a spray bottle for my edges. (a little bit of honey (3%), oil (7%), and infusium (30%).... about 60% water For my ends I use that, black castor oil, a light conditioner, or S-curl before I put my grass into a bun.) It really is great. I mist my hair twice a day. Once in the morning and again at night. I redo my bun daily when I'm going out.

Back