• in the shower

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • out of the shower

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • other

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

MissMusic

So, ladies what is it? Do you detangle in the shower or out? Has this changed from when you had shorter hair? What products do you use, etc.?

*Sorry to discriminate against ladies with hair shorter than shoulder length, there will be a spinoff, I promise. :yep:

Hehe, okay, now I can ramble. (Will this Friday ever END?!?!?!)

I'm just a bit past shoulder, and I've been detangling out of the shower since......... since always, I think.
I have to detangle with conditioner (whatever the current mix is) in my hair, and just one swipe or two ain't gonna do it, so getting in the shower means that most of the conditioner would be rinsed out long before I got one section detangled, much less my whole head.
After I detangle outside of the shower, I do get in the shower, and do a last 'brush through' of my hair to make sure I'm getting all of the conditioner out, and that's about it.

Absolutely!!!

I am just below shoulder. I detangle ONLY in the shower with TONS of conditioner. Takes about 5 strokes and I'm done.

I am inbetween shoulder and APL. I detangle in the shower in sections with conditioner. I then put on some more conditioner when everything is detangled, and comb it how I will be styling, which is in a bun since I am in the bun challenge, but I will comb it higher or lower depending on where I am wearing my bun on my head.

I detangle in the shower or I will at least wet my hair somehow. I put conditioner in it, use the denman, and it takes less than 3 minutes. I detangle my hair every day so I never have knots and the denman glides right through.

I detangle wet hair out of the shower, with some moisturizer and/or leave in, sealed with a serum to provide slip. I only detangle on wash days, any other time, my hair's in a bun and doesn't need detangling because it's already been detangled on washday :D

I am inbetween shoulder and APL. I detangle in the shower in sections with conditioner. I then put on some more conditioner when everything is detangled, and comb it how I will be styling, which is in a bun since I am in the bun challenge, but I will comb it higher or lower depending on where I am wearing my bun on my head.
do you leave the conditioner in after you finish detangling?

Since I have what seems like a 2 quart hot water heater (:rolleyes:) it's impractical to detangle in there unless I want to be freezing by the time I'm 1/4 of the way done.

I wash over the sink holding my hair in a ponytail. This allows my hair to go straight back after the rinse and detangle just as easily as I would in the shower, conditioner or no conditioner.

I'm waist length, about 3 months or so post and I have no problems with tangles using this method.

When I am not wearing my wig, I will hop in the shower and wash with shampoo with my hair predetangled in plaits. Then hop out, take plaits apart, apply dc, rebraid plaits, let sit, hop back in shower, detangle with fingers or huge detangling comb. Usually, my fingers are enough cause the hair just feels like silk and isn't tangled.

It really doesn't even have to be a dc to detangle cause last week, I washed with Sunsilk Anti-flat (the yellow bottle), then applied V05 Volumizing conditioner and my hair felt like butter after three minutes of letting Vo5 sit. No problems detangling in shower at all.

You too, huh? :lachen::lachen:

Since I have what seems like a 2 quart hot water heater (:rolleyes:) it's impractical to detangle in there unless I want to be freezing by the time I'm 1/4 of the way done.

I wash over the sink holding my hair in a ponytail. This allows my hair to go straight back after the rinse and detangle just as easily as I would in the shower, conditioner or no conditioner.

I'm waist length, about 3 months or so post and I have no problems with tangles using this method.

i have crazy layers the shortest part is at my ears. the longest at apl. i like to detangle outside of the sower with alot of conditioner in my hair. sometimes my hair allows me to detangle it in the shower. i often feel i have too much hair to detangle it all before the cold water starts coming. but i do notice that as i get more NG the easier it is to detangle in the shower

Wet with a lot of conditioner in it. (in or out of the shower)

Lately I've noticed my hair has been tangling like crazy! I haven't changed my regimin at all so I don't know what is up but its getting frustrating!:perplexed

My hair is relaxed, past armpit. I detangle outside the shower with Africa's Best Liquid Hair Mayo and Shea butter. It only takes a few passes to get it right:grin:

I BARELY have SL, but I'll add my 2 cents.

Detangle w/ a shower comb while I have deep cond in my hair. I just rinse without tangling my hair again. I put my leave-in in when I get out and, if needed, run a wide-tooth comb through again.

Wet with a lot of conditioner in it. (in or out of the shower)

Lately I've noticed my hair has been tangling like crazy! I haven't changed my regimin at all so I don't know what is up but its getting frustrating!:perplexed

Mine too! I'm starting to suspect it's the weather, and I need to tweak something slightly...... maybe a tiny bit more protein now? Hrm, I don't know. :scratchch

I detangle out of the shower but while my hair is still drenching wet. I also use product on it, but it doesn't matter what - anything that helps with detangling will do. I haven't learned how to do any styling yet so usually I just wear it in an semi-afro until it's time to wash again.

I don't always wash in the shower but if i do I detangle while the conditioner is still in my hair and under the running water the same if i wash my hair in the sink.

any conditioner that softens my hair, i love fantasia ic detangler conditioner, dominican conditioners lacio lacio etc.

I detangle in the shower while rinsing out my conditioner, with a shower comb.
I comb through my hair after I put in my leave-in also.

I finger detangle in the shower, but that mainly to make sure my hair is really getting rinsed well.

I detangle with a comb once I'm out of the shower as I'm braiding my hair up.

Im btwn SL and APL I tend to detangle with conditioner or shampoo is in my hair, it helps the comb glide through.. I don't tend to get tangles on days I dont wash..

Absolutely!!!

I am just below shoulder. I detangle ONLY in the shower with TONS of conditioner. Takes about 5 strokes and I'm done.

me too, but I'm past shoulder, almost APL. i separate my hair into quarters and use my jilbere shower comb. easy

Last edited:
I detangle outside of the shower while the conditioner is still on. I let my conditioner sit for 5 minutes and come through my hair thoroughly. After I rinse the conditioner out my hair is totally detangled still. I wear my hair down everyday but I only comb wet hair

I'm grazing APL...
It depends on how I'm feeling.
Most of the time, I'll detangle in the shower while my hair is soaked in conditioner.
However, if I'm feeling tired/lazy, I'll do it when I come out the shower while my hair is still wet. If my hair starts to dry out, I spray it with my water/glycerine/essential oil mix.

If I detangle by applying moist product to my dry hair but not actually wetting it, does that count as dry or wet detangling?

I detangle while in the shower. I section off my hair into about three of four sections. Load it up with some conditioner. I have fine/thin hair, so I usually detangle with my fingers or a this double-toothed wide-toothed comb I have.

Back