Spinoff-im Tired Of Seeing Slicked Down Baby Hair

Well, I see it as a part of Black culture. My 74 year old grandmother has pictures of herself and her sisters with their baby hairs slicked down back in the 50s. And my godmom who's in her 50s just had to educate somebody on Facebook about the same thing. She said she also has pics of her mom back in the 50s with her baby hairs laid. I wouldn't call that a trend. We been laying baby hairs since before lace wigs were a thing.

I have 4b hair around my edges. So, my baby hairs are more like disobedient pre-teen hairs. I can only lay them down for a little while before they are up and at it again. But back in the day when I was relaxed my stylist would lay down baby hairs with every style. I had box braids with laid edges…and I mean laid for days…It took like a week for the hairs to wake up!!!

I have 4b hair around my edges. So, my baby hairs are more like disobedient pre-teen hairs. I can only lay them down for a little while before they are up and at it again. But back in the day when I was relaxed my stylist would lay down baby hairs with every style. I had box braids with laid edges…and I mean laid for days…It took like a week for the hairs to wake up!!!
:lachen:

The problem isn't slicking down baby hairs. The problem is people that don't even have baby hair are slicking them down. Lol That's what looks ridiculous. They look cute when someone actually has baby hair. In fact when I put on my scarf or even my bonnet my baby hairs are laid in the morning because they don't stay in with the style.

I don't have a problem with the look per se. But some people take it to the extreme though...
3C8BFCBC00000578-4161816-image-a-80_1485464278615.jpg

d771cc22afcd187c6fd13d8967aefd45.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Girl... WHY

I was never a fan of the "train edges around the front" look because it reminded me of that thick brown gel stylists used to use for hold. In fact, I like when my edges curl up and poke out a bit because it creates a softer, casual, effortless look.
Side question: How can someone NOT have baby hairs, unless their edges are nonexistent? After all, baby hair is just edge hair, which is the transition zone between the long, thick scalp hair and the much finer, shorter "peach fuzz" hair follicles on the face and neck (and the rest of the body).

Back