Spin-Off: Wedding Vows

DarkVictory

In the "for better or for worse" thread, some ladies mentioned they did not make vows at their wedding. Have never heard of this and it intrigues me.

So, married ladies, did you say vows? If so, did you use the traditional ones, write your own, have someone write them?

If not, what (generally) did you say?

Interested in knowing what anyone has to say on this subject.

We did a combination of both, right before we exchanged rings we spoke our individual written vows. The beginning was thoughful or sweet and then at the end my husbands vows ended with a joke for the kids and my vows ended with a inside joke between DH and I and then after that the minister recited the traditional vows.

We're a bit anti-ceremonial. So the Justice of the Peace just asked, if he took me and asked the same of me. That was it.....that was our wedding ceremony. We REFUSED to do have a vow renewal ceremony. Hell, they've worked for 33 years....good enough.

We wrote our own vows.

Also, I re-worded that part when the officiant says to the groom, "you may now kiss the bride. I changed it to, "you may now share your first kiss as husband and wife."

I put "husband" instead of "man" b/c I've always resented that the groom's title never changes during the ceremony, but the bride's does. The groom is becoming a husband, and it should be reflected in the ceremony--just like it is always reflected that the bride is becoming a wife.

I put "share" in the wording because marriage is a partnered union. I've always :sad: at "you may now kiss the bride" because it gives the man all of the say-so.

Back