Southerngirl!...Got a question???

musiclova

Hi Southerngirl, I just recently saw your updated pictures and you make me really miss my long hair girl! I wanted to ask you just to make sure...do you do your own trims too? If so I would like some pointers because I am really nervous about getting somebody else to trim my hair after I had a bad relaxer experience in Raleigh but I have never trimmed my own hair all around before. My hair is just touching my shoulders now. It's in a bob cut and I'm growing out my relaxer. Help a sista out please. Once again I am shouting you out for advice. Remember the Creme de la mer? :) I need to get an album soon. You are doing a better job with your hair then some stylists out here!!

Good Morning Ladies,

Thank you so much for this MusicLova, Kombov, and Dana! :kiss:

Music, I'm very flattered by this. I've trimmed my own hair for the past 10 years!! I will tell you how I've always done it with great results. I tried Carlie's method for my last trim, and I think it works better for my hair now because of the length. I couldn't have done it that way at the the length my hair was in the past (which is about where your's is now).

Okay. 2 things first. CONGRATS on your decision to go w/the shoulder-length bob. When I started my journey in January, this is how I cut my hair. Second thing is I want to confirm that you are transitioning from a relaxer to natural?

Here's are the steps, assuming you want it blunt and are doing it alone (which is the easiest way to cut your hair if you're doing it yourself): :)

IF YOUR HAIR IS RELATIVELY THIN WHEN STRAIGHTENED:
1) Wash and condition the hair as normal
2) Dry hair (either via air-dry or blow dry on low heat w/out a comb attachment)
3) Flat iron, press, or whatever you do to your hair to get it as straight as possible. If you are transitioning to natural, it may be a little challenging, but if you're used to straightening your hair you'll have no worries.
4) If you can get your hair to be straight and it's thin enough to put into a low ponytail in back, part the hair down the center, only about halfway, then comb it back into a ponytail.
5) Hold it very tight, making sure it's very even, and take the end of the pontyail and chop it STRAIGHT accross.

IF YOUR HAIR IS RELATIVELY THICK WHEN STRAIGHTENED:
1) Follow steps 1-3 above.
2) Instead of making one ponytail, section your hair in 3 parts- starting with a part down the center, make another part cross-ways (from ear to ear). You'll now have a left section, a right section, and a back section. Secure the two front sections w/clips.
3) Starting with the hair in back, make a ponytail (or just pull the hair straight b/w your fingers) and just cut straight across. I know it's hard to see the back, but you can do it. I cut my hair into a chin-length bob once and I did it myself! Just feel the bottom w/your hands, and use a mirror to look at the back occassionally to make sure you are holding the amount at your fingertips that you want to cut.
4) Let the hair in back down and check it w/a hand mirror to make sure it's even.
5) With the back hair combed down, undo one of the front sections. Comb it down and see where it falls relative to the back hair. It may be a bit longer, depending on 2 factors: (1) How long it was to start, (2) How much you cut off in back. If it's longer, this is a good thing because you'll know right away how much to cut. If at this point it's at the same length, unless you want it layered, or shorter than the back, I wouldn't cut it just yet. Maybe a slight dusting.
6) If you want it one length all the way around like mine, comb it down to where it meets the back, then cut it to the same length, and NO SHORTER!!! When I first cut mine, the sides were a slight bit longer than the back, and I did this on purpose. You couldn't tell by looking at it, and it made my hair look much longer than it was from the front. Additionally, if you cut it using the first method, the front and sides will be longer anyway because you're gathering it into a ponytail in back.
7) Do the same for the other side
8) When cutting the front two sides, you also have the option of cutting it shorter if you want, which is what Carlie demonstrates in her album. The trick that I liked about Carlie's method, is that since her hair is long, she takes multiple ponytail holders to secure the hair before cutting. I was using only one pony holder and my hair is too bulky for that. Using her method, I just put about 5 or 6 ponytail holders on my hair, then I could easily cut it accross.

That's it!!! I've done this forever, and believe me it works. I rarely get splits, and I don't trim a whole lot. As your hair gets longer, you can pull it to the front (like I have it in my hair album where I'm facing forward) and clip your ends that way too. I only use that method if I do a little dusting, not a full trim. When I dust, I take off about 1/4". When I trim, I take off 1-2". I don't trim often- maybe 2x per year.

I hope this wasn't confusing! Please let me know if you have questions.
SG

Thanks Dana! I may even add this somewhere in my journal in case others have questions.

I hope it was the right level of detail!

Southerngirl, thank you so much. Very good instructions and easy to understand. Yes, I'm transitioning from relaxed to natural *sigh*. It's an ordeal right now but I'm looking forward to the results in the end. It's easy to straighten it though. So I think I will try this today. I haven't had a trim in 3 months. How often do you trim? You really are an inspiration because for those of us who once had very long hair and cut it and people tell us that it may not grow back the same after you cut it you keep us motivated that we can do whatever we want to our hair (as long as it is good for the hair) and it will grow and remain healthy. I'm going to pray that the first time I do use this method I am successful with it because that will end my need to go to a stylist for a professional trim. Your hair is proof that we all can do whatever we put our minds to and we do not have to spend all of our money on stylists who do not care about haircare only filling their pockets. Thanks so much again! I'll pm you when I complete the trim.

Reading this, I think I'm going to start trimming my own hair too. I'm revolting against the SHS's that have kept me at shoulder length for years.

Thanks Musiclova!!

Don't listen to them! I believe we can grow our hair long, even after cutting it!Maybe that has been their personal experience, but I have and I've definitely see it happen on this board.

I trim about twice a year, but not on a set set schedule. I trim when it's needed to even out my hair, or if my ends get thin. I prefer to dust a little more often, only when I think I need it. I don't like trimming any more than I have to because I want to retain the length. I never let my hair touch my clothes (unless I'm wearing silk or if I have on a leather jacket). I just read where someone else does this also. It helps keep my ends healthy, so I don't have to cut very often!!

Good luck with your trim. Let us know how it turns out!!

Back