SOS-The Gym is Ruining My Hair!!!

sky035

Formerly Lisaaa Bonet
Hello Ladies,
Frequent visits to the gym is leaving my hair dry and unmanageable :nono:. I usually wash the sweat out from my scalp after each workout. I workout 3-4 times a week. I seem to be using alot of product and my hair cannnot seem to retain moisture :wallbash:. I am caught in this vicious cycle.

If you workout regularly, how do you keep your hair moist and free of salt from perspiring?

P.S My hair is approx. 6 inches long - texlaxed - I usually wear a wasn n go.

Thanks in advance :yep:

I wear hair loose ....like a loose ponytail or two loose pig tails or braids...This allows my scalp to breath ...I use wide headband to absorb sweat

Also too much shampooing is harsh on hair so I co-wash after workouts and only wash once a week....I deep condition after co-washes this is what helps my hair retain moisture

I work out 5 days a week

I co-wash, and air dry with a scarf every night. In the morning I gently brush it into a low bun and add my phony bun or clip ins to get me through the day.

It's boring, but practical and my hair is always soft and conditioned. Oh, and I always make sure to alternate conditioners to meet my needs, ie- protein vs. moisture.

Hello Ladies,
Frequent visits to the gym is leaving my hair dry and unmanageable :nono:. I usually wash the sweat out from my scalp after each workout. I workout 3-4 times a week. I seem to be using alot of product and my hair cannnot seem to retain moisture :wallbash:. I am caught in this vicious cycle.

If you workout regularly, how do you keep your hair moist and free of salt from perspiring?

P.S My hair is approx. 6 inches long - texlaxed - I usually wear a wasn n go.

Thanks in advance :yep:

Hi there,

I have the same issue - I can't STAND the thought of sweat lingering on my scalp, so the only solution I came up with is protective styles. Right now I'm in braids. I work 3-5 times a week; after each work out I co wash with humectress or keraphix. Once I start to see a build up, I wash my hair and maintain my scalp cleanliness with co-washing. After that I spray infusium 23 and massage QP Mango butter into my scalp and hair then I seal with olive oil.

The key it to maintain your hair and scalp under any and every protective style. I think we get lazy and forget to take care of our hair, so treat your hair the same way if it weren't in a protective style.

I wear my hair in the bun in the avatar. My hair will usually dry out, though, after working out. Lately, I find if I use more creamy leave-in, seal really well with ghee and then smooth aloe vera gel over that during my nighttime regimen (I do wet my hair and scalp nightly) then the bun does not dry out. The leave-in that has kept my hair the moistest is My Honey Child buttery soy creme, but I mixed my brand new Surya leave-ins together last night, sealed with ghee and did the aloe vera thing and my hair feels amazing right now, but we will see after I work out at lunch how it holds up.

I work out at least 3x's a week and I co-wash 2-3 times a week because of this. Co-washing keeps my hair well-moisturized! I dry my hair at night using the scarf method and I bun the next day... I'm on a bun challenge so it's nothing for me!

Hi there,

I have the same issue - I can't STAND the thought of sweat lingering on my scalp, so the only solution I came up with is protective styles. Right now I'm in braids. I work 3-5 times a week; after each work out I co wash with humectress or keraphix. Once I start to see a build up, I wash my hair and maintain my scalp cleanliness with co-washing. After that I spray infusium 23 and massage QP Mango butter into my scalp and hair then I seal with olive oil.

The key it to maintain your hair and scalp under any and every protective style. I think we get lazy and forget to take care of our hair, so treat your hair the same way if it weren't in a protective style.

I agree. twists or braids. Im going back into twists tomorrow. I cannot work out properly knowing i have to constantly worry about my hair. Protective styles are easier to maintain when you work out on the regular.

:yep: Co-washing is the truth when you have to clean your head/hair that frequently - it won't strip your hair, and it'll give it a lil moisture boost.

I agree. twists or braids. Im going back into twists tomorrow. I cannot work out properly knowing i have to constantly worry about my hair. Protective styles are easier to maintain when you work out on the regular.

Doesn't it suck when you want to wear your hair out for once, and be like oh S*** I can't...

I don't wanna sacrifice my body/health for my hair style :nono:

Hello Everyone,
Thanks a million for your responses...it seems as though protective styling works for many of you. I will try twists perhaps, for the first time this week. I am also seriously considering braids.

Another helpful hint seems to be co-washing immediately after working out - this way there is no time to feel that icky sweat. Maybe its just me, but I think that salt from perspiring actually breaks the hair if it is not washed out...:nono:

I had a stylist once tell me that for black women - we have to pick between our bodies or our hair :ohwell: and that we can't have both. Well, I am not even hearing that!!!! She is not the stylist that I currently use...

Back