Sometimes my hair doesn't "fall"...why is that?

Jade Feria

I have fine hair that is texlaxed. Sometimes when I flatiron my hair straight, it doesn't "fall"....it kinda stays in one position. I think that maybe it needs to be "weighed down", but I'm not exactly sure what to do for it.

When I get a blowout from the Dominicans though, it "falls" and "swings" all over the place. :perplexed

What am I not doing?

My hair is texlaxed too, and if it's flat ironed only I do not get a whole lot of movement. If I were to bend my head down chin to chest, my hair would stick straight out- not a good luck IMO, lol. Now when I rollerset and flat iron it's a whole nother story, I swing my head so much cause my hair has so much movement.

Anyways.....I am thinking it has something to do with my techniqe. Try small sections, and at the root go up to give some height at the root before you go down with the iron.

Have you tried using different products(heat protectants) When i was relaxed i used to frequently flat iron my hair. When i did it with nothing....shhhh dont tell nobodoy...that was pre-lhcf it had a lot of swang-movement...but when i used the heat protectant it weighed it down....idk maybe try a different product. Im sure alot of ladies in here are knowledgeable about this type of thing. HTH

I have the same problem with my natural hair. When it's full of conditioner, it swings all over the place, so I know it CAN. I have yet to see it with the flat iron, and it drives me crazy.

I don't flatiron my hair often...maybe once every 3 months..but still. I tend to use Beyond the Zone heat protectant or Matrix Sleek Look. That is after I moisturize and seal.

You probably need to curl the hair. Have you tried rollersetting before using the flat iron? Also, you can flat iron, curl then wrap to get the desired results.

Do not use a lot of product. If you rollerset add all of your leave ins and heat protectant on wet hair then proceed to flat iron.

I don't flatiron my hair often...maybe once every 3 months..but still. I tend to use Beyond the Zone heat protectant or Matrix Sleek Look. That is after I moisturize and seal.

I did the same thing when I did my hair last week and I had the same problem; my hair didn't move as much as it does when I get it professionally done. I think I'm going to eliminate a couple of products and see what happens next time; I think I didn't need to use Profectiv MegaGrowth AND argan oil before my blow dry then use Silk Therapy AND BTZ before I flat ironed. *smh* I'm going to eliminate the argan oil and Silk Therapy next time and see how my hair turns out.

Last edited:
I would say, definitely use heat protectant, but limit other products, they may weigh hair down and the advice about roller setting works for me too. In fact, I can even just roller set now and have movement the first two days. Just don't add more heat to make it too straight, that will damage your hair and I think make it thin and stiff. I also think as hair grows longer, it has more movement too.

ceebee..Yeah, I've rollerset before, and it was flowy when I took the rollers out, but when I flat iron..no.

So you put on the heat protectant before you rollerset?

Try reducing the I amount of product you use. The only time I notice my hair being stiff is when i overuse a leave-in product or if I don't rinse the conditioner from my hair well.

I NEVER ROLLERSET STILL MY HAIR NEVER FALL ONLY WEN I GET FRESH RELAXER I LIMITED ALL MY PRODUCTS DO A SARAN WRAP IT STILL DONT FALL NOW IF I GET 9 weeks post after flat iron it fall then i have lot hair then.

I would say, definitely use heat protectant, but limit other products, they may weigh hair down and the advice about roller setting works for me too. In fact, I can even just roller set now and have movement the first two days. Just don't add more heat to make it too straight, that will damage your hair and I think make it thin and stiff. I also think as hair grows longer, it has more movement too.
I was thinking that too. I was like, "dang, do I have to wait for it to get longer for it to flow more?" But then I don't think my hair is that short either.

I NEVER ROLLERSET STILL MY HAIR NEVER FALL ONLY WEN I GET FRESH RELAXER I LIMITED ALL MY PRODUCTS DO A SARAN WRAP IT STILL DONT FALL NOW IF I GET 9 weeks post after flat iron it fall then i have lot hair then.

I haven't rollerset in months. I am about 10 wks post and all I use are a few products to blow-dry. My hair is hanging tough, even before the flat iron hits it.

It is so flowy, airy and silky, that I can't get it to hold a curl. It just hangs.

Coconut oil usually makes that happen for me. It's light enough that it doesn't make my hair stuff and gummy, but it weighs it down enough to cause movement. I put it on AFTER I've flat ironed.

ceebee..Yeah, I've rollerset before, and it was flowy when I took the rollers out, but when I flat iron..no.

So you put on the heat protectant before you rollerset?

Yes, I don't add anything to my hair after taking the rollers down.

I don't usually flat iron my hair but when I do, I can only flat iron my roots. My stylist flat irons the whole length and you still retain all the body from the rollerset.

You can also keep your hair wrapped for a while after the set and you should get it straight from that without a flat iron.

What do you moisturize and seal with?

I have fine hair too, and while I need to make sure my hair isn't dry or lacking nourishment, less is more when it comes to products. I never use oil and I apply my post-wash products very lightly. I use a liquid leave-in, a blow drying cream, and serum. Make sure you're applying all your products evenly too--I've found that makes a difference in my final results.

Also, when I flat iron I tend to iron straight out from my head rather than straight down (except in the back). This gives me a little lift at the root which means more body :yep:

Try reducing the I amount of product you use. The only time I notice my hair being stiff is when i overuse a leave-in product or if I don't rinse the conditioner from my hair well.
I agree!!!!

I have fine hair too, and while I need to make sure my hair isn't dry or lacking nourishment, less is more when it comes to products. I never use oil and I apply my post-wash products very lightly. I use a liquid leave-in, a blow drying cream, and serum. Make sure you're applying all your products evenly too--I've found that makes a difference in my final results.

Also, when I flat iron I tend to iron straight out from my head rather than straight down (except in the back). This gives me a little lift at the root which means more body :yep:
ITA. I have fine hair too, and I had this problem. One day after watching Ateeya's videos on a whim I tried just putting a LITTLE leave-in and chi-silk infusion after shampoo and DC. I felt like my hair was naked with nothing on it. But when I was done flat-ironing, my hair was super sheened with swang, and I had put no extra product on it.

The part about the way you flat iron is so true too, I watched don't speak defeat's video on youtube where she did her daughter's transitioning hair and she explained the placement of the flat iron, that it should be more diagonal. I tried that and it worked soo :drunk:

Yes, I don't add anything to my hair after taking the rollers down.

I don't usually flat iron my hair but when I do, I can only flat iron my roots. My stylist flat irons the whole length and you still retain all the body from the rollerset.

You can also keep your hair wrapped for a while after the set and you should get it straight from that without a flat iron.
Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong..I add about 3 products after I take the rollers down. I do the roots only as well.

I usually moisturize with my leave-in (NTM or LTR)...anything else is usually too much. I used to moisturize with ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer..it used to be good before but know it just sits on my hair. I seal with Kemi Oyl or coconut oil.

What products do you use?
I agree!!!!

ITA. I have fine hair too, and I had this problem. One day after watching Ateeya's videos on a whim I tried just putting a LITTLE leave-in and chi-silk infusion after shampoo and DC. I felt like my hair was naked with nothing on it. But when I was done flat-ironing, my hair was super sheened with swang, and I had put no extra product on it.

The part about the way you flat iron is so true too, I watched don't speak defeat's video on youtube where she did her daughter's transitioning hair and she explained the placement of the flat iron, that it should be more diagonal. I tried that and it worked soo :drunk:
Thanks! Do you have a link to the video?

I have fine and thin hair, when I first flat ironed my hair a few weeks ago the same thing happened to me. I had used too much product. This week I have alot of bounce and "swang". I applied a nickel size of lacio lacio to wet hair and then spritz lightly with Silk elements olive oil heat protectant then finish with blow dry/flat iron. I really don't seal when I blow dry/flat iron I just brought some Elasta QP h-two which is a water based moisturizing sealant so I want to try that next 2wks when I flat iron again.

Last edited:
I have fine hair as well. I have learned when it comes to straightening hair LESS product is more. If you weigh your hair down with product your hair will not move. I usually do a DC treatment b4 I flat iron. The only products I use are Chi Iron guard, Chi Silk infusion and Nexxus heat protectant. I use these products SPARINGLY and my hair falls.

If I use a heavy product on my hair IE shea butter or add oil my hair becomes stiff and lifeless after I flat iron. HTH :)

I usually moisturize with my leave-in (NTM or LTR)...anything else is usually too much. I used to moisturize with ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer..it used to be good before but know it just sits on my hair. I seal with Kemi Oyl or coconut oil.

What products do you use?

I use Ojon Revitalizing Mist (spray leave-in), then apply Organix Vanilla Silk Blow Dry Cream (sort of like a cross between a serum & a creamy leave-in). After blow drying I apply Giovanni Frizz Be Gone serum and flat iron.

Yep today i just sprayed a little chi keratin mist and used a small amount of silk infusion and when i was done lightly sprayed my africa's best tea tree strengthing spray on there and my hair is so bouncy. The last time i did my hair it was just awful and stiff and i couldnt stand it.

You may want to try Chi Silk Infusion. :yep:

I have fine hair that is texlaxed. Sometimes when I flatiron my hair straight, it doesn't "fall"....it kinda stays in one position. I think that maybe it needs to be "weighed down", but I'm not exactly sure what to do for it.

When I get a blowout from the Dominicans though, it "falls" and "swings" all over the place. :perplexed

What am I not doing?

You may want to try Chi Silk Infusion. :yep:
Is Sally's version just as good? Is it a heat protectant?
Sure! Here's the 10 min video, she starts actually blow drying and flat ironing around 6 min. I don't use the same products she uses, but they're in the same family. I use Keracare humecto conditioner, NTM leave-in and chi-silk infusion (the generic). But I used her method and it worked!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7joDaDZJAk&feature=related
I love that swing! She's kinda rough with her hair though.. :perplexed

Ok..so speak to me like I'm a 4 year old. :lol: Do you sit under the dryer the way she does with the hair combed out?

I don't flat iron my hair but when I went to the salon a couple of weeks ago this is what my stylist did after conditioning...(I have very fine hair)

Dried my hair under the dryer
Put a drop (very little drop)
Blew dry my hair -not long at all
Flat Iron - one pass

She only had to do one pass over my hair and not only did I have the "swang" but I also had crazy shine - I am relaxed and this is the same method she uses on her natural clients as well -no smoke or burnt smell

HTH...

I don't flat iron my hair but when I went to the salon a couple of weeks ago this is what my stylist did after conditioning...(I have very fine hair)

Dried my hair under the dryer
Put a drop (very little drop)
Blew dry my hair -not long at all
Flat Iron - one pass

She only had to do one pass over my hair and not only did I have the "swang" but I also had crazy shine - I am relaxed and this is the same method she uses on her natural clients as well -no smoke or burnt smell

HTH...
So is blow drying necessary for the "swing"? Or can one go straight from rollerset to flat iron?

Hey OP,
I struggle with fine relaxed hair and trying to maintain bounce and swing also. While I agree that you can weigh you hair down too much with product, I have found that my hair can be so fine and light it just puffs in the air, so I add weight to it with proper protein/moisture balance. It needs the weight and structure the protein adds to "fall" and bounce. I use Mizani Fulfyl its been the best conditioner for DC. I also use Aphogee 2 minute after relaxers. I only use a liquid leave-in and heat protectant after that, top it off with a little JCS Nourish and Shine and that's it.

Back