Solution to Shrunken French Braids?

renee_n_3000

Last night, I decided to do my hair in two French braids with a part down the middle of my head, just to see what it would look like. When I finished, the braids were at least three inches shorter than my hair's actual length. I know that probably doesn't sound like much length to lose, but I envisioned having two waist-length braids and was disappointed to see them so much shorter. Does anyone know if there is a way to correct this while braiding the hair? I have no experience in French braiding so I'm just experimenting.

Also, one of the braids was about a half-inch shorter than the other, even though my hair is even in length.
ohwell.gif

The only thing i can think of is smoothing/combing the hair as you go , also just making sure you braid tight. i dunno why that happens though, but it does, the braids dont show true legnth , probably cause some of the legth is wrapping around the braid instead of hanging straight down.

I agree with Irresistible about some of the length wrapping around the braid which uses up some inches of the length. I notice this too with my regular braids. Are you braiding on wet or dry hair?

Thanks for the replies, ladies.
smile.gif

I will try braiding it tighter. I'm sure I didn't put much tension on the hair when I braided it the first time.

Isis, my hair was dry and straight when I braided it. Like you mentioned, my hair also seems shorter when I do a regular braid too, so I guess that's just the way it is.

I have this problem also, but the tighter I braid, the shorter my hair will be. Its just the way it is. Also, if I braid wet, my hair will be shorter than if I do it dry, I have been braiding for about 12 years now and its logical that your hair will appear shorter because its being interwoven with the rest of your hair.

Back