So Much Breakage From No Lye To Lye!!!

SpicyC

So about three weeks ago I changed from having a no lye to using lye. For the past 1 1/2 weeks my hair has been breaking like crazy!! I used the Aphogee 2 Step Treatment three days ago but it is still breaking!! I don't know what to do now. When it's time to relax again, do I continue with the lye or go back to no lye? Please help... I really don't want to cut off my hair.

It's always been my understanding that you can go from Lye to no Lye (and I did without damage, I just had to get a haircut eventually due to the different textures). But you can't go from No Lye to Lye without huge consequences. I would say stretch as long as you can and try to baby your hair as much as possible and if you can, get to the salon and get some deep conditioning treatments. I think the haircut is unavoidable though. What are the brands of both the lye and no lye relaxers? And how long did you stretch before switching?

I switched from no lye to lye without any damage early last year. I stretched for about 10-12 weeks. Can't remember exactly. I'm sorry to hear your having breakage. I'm not an expert by far but i would stay with the lye for next touch-up if the breakage seems to be where the newly permed new growth meets ur old relaxed hair. I wouldn't put more stress on the hair and switch back. Be consistent with one or the other. I noticed the health I my hair was better with lye because it was less dry. Just make sure u are properly neutralized. Hope that helps

I switched back in forth between lye and no lye several times. I never got breakage. My scalp can't take lye. I never burned at all with no lye and with lye no matter how short of a time I left it on I burned and was always underprocessed. Are you sure it's from the relaxer? Sometimes when I have a issue with breaking I run straight to the protein, but maybe your hair needs moisture. I would hold off on the relaxer..

So about three weeks ago I changed from having a no lye to using lye. For the past 1 1/2 weeks my hair has been breaking like crazy!! I used the Aphogee 2 Step Treatment three days ago but it is still breaking!! I don't know what to do now. When it's time to relax again, do I continue with the lye or go back to no lye? Please help... I really don't want to cut off my hair.

Hi there,

Could you tell us your regimen?

(I switched from No Lye to Lye a few years back and actually had a lot less breakage).

The no lye was Just For Me. The lye was Mizani. I stretched for 9 weeks. Do I continue with the lye?

The exact same thing happened to my sister. She had Just For Me for years. Switched to a lye relaxer (not sure which one) and all of her hair broke off. Since her hair was severely broken all over, she had to cut and start over. Right now I want to switch from Affirm no lye to Affirm lye and I am too afraid of the damage it may cause. However, most stylist has assured me that there won't be any damage since I'm staying with Affirm. Good Luck op!

It all depends on the health of your hair. Even as a Stylist back in the days I flip Flopped with both of them. I used Just for me kids but when I didn't have time to run get a relaxer, I used one of the Relaxers my Salon had which is one I still use years later Motions Lye.

Honestly the health of your hair is important. First off as I always suggest CLARIFY, CHelate your hair.

Then yes you can do the Aphogee 2 step but please use a DC that is very moisturizing. Add your leave ins and make sure to wear low manipulated styles as your hair is stressed enough.

Get a minor trim and just make sure to get weekly treatments (not Aphogee 2 step) until the condition of your hair improves. (Nexxus Emergencee, Therapee and Humectress are my suggestions)

Back