So many questions! help me, wise ones!

IwasPixy

Ok, so I'm new posting here and I wasn't sure where I should be posting this please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong. :ohwell:

I have pretty long/ fine hair. I have had the same stylist for about 10 years..I was pretty pleased with her but about maybe 8 months ago I started going to this new stylist. I loved the new stylist at first because I didn't hurt to get my hair relaxed. But slowly I started noticing that when they were washing my hair they would comb through ROUGHLY with a somewhat thin toothed comb when it was still wet. As clueless as I am about this stuff I know that can't be good for my hair. And then the stylist is always commenting about how I'm shedding. Call me crazy but isn't the reason I'm shedding because you're going at my tresses with a thin tooth comb while it's wet and not treating tenderly as it should be in a fragile state of being wet?

Now I wanna go back to by old stylist because as much as the relaxers hurt she did treat my hair with a level of respect and tenderness that I genuinely miss.

However, being that I'm pretty clueless is there a good chance that the old stylist was using a LYE relaxer and the new Stylist was using a No-Lye relaxer? I'm planning on going back to my old stylist should I ask her to use the No-Lye Relaxer as well? :spinning:

Also what would be a good product to deep condition my hair as it tends to get somewhat dry. Please help me...I'm very lost and this new stylist has caused me a great deal of anxiety with manner in which she was going at my hair.

I had a nightmare last night about going bald and couldn't bring myself to go to work today because of a panic attack I suffered this morning. The only thing that has calmed me down is knowing that there is a board like this out there to help me. TIA!

Welcome to LHCF! You are right, small tooth combs are not best to use when detangling your hair. You should tell her to use a wide tooth comb. There are alot of DC like ORS replinishing pack and Lekair Cholesterol. I use Lekair alot, it keeps my hair moisturized. Maybe your hair is dry from switching to no-lye?? I am not sure, but when I was relaxed, I know that is what contributed to my hair being more dry. What helped was conditioner washing with lekair once a week. If you like your old hair stylist better go back to her.

Hi ~ welcome. If you hair is shedding you may want to try a garlic shampoo. Many women on the board have said garlic really helps with shedding. Re: deep conditioners there are sooooo many. You might try Mizani moisturefuse. Good luck.

If it hurts to relax, there might be an issue with your old stylist also. Have you ever done it yourself? I know it sounds scary, but there is a self relaxing sticky that can help you try it out. The only person who really cares to treat your hair properly is you.

Welcome lady LHCF is really the place to be for our hair :yep:
Do you know co-washing ? It is the utilisation of a conditionning conditionner like suave hydrating ...or keracare humecto, kenra,..as a shampoo every time you want to wah your hair, it helps with Deep conditionning and daily moisturisation to restore the moisture of your hair !

Welcome lady LHCF is really the place to be for our hair :yep:
Do you know co-washing ? It is the utilisation of a conditionning conditionner like suave hydrating ...or keracare humecto, kenra,..as a shampoo every time you want to wah your hair, it helps with Deep conditionning and daily moisturisation to restore the moisture of your hair !

So use one these conditioners instead of shampoo? I don't understand what co-washing is.:dizzy: again, I'm clueless.

So use one these conditioners instead of shampoo?

Exactly. Instead of using a shampoo grab a conditioner (I use Giovanni 50:50 or Oyin's Honey Hemp) and wash with it like you normally would. The important part is to massage/rub/scratch your scalp to remove buildup and anything else. Lots of people here cw(condition wash, co wash) daily or a few times a week to keep the moisture in their hair. I'm not relaxed but there are lots of relaxed ladies here who can help you figure out what might be good for your hair.

Welcome and Happy Hair Growing!

Ok, so I'm new posting here and I wasn't sure where I should be posting this please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong. :ohwell:

I have pretty long/ fine hair. I have had the same stylist for about 10 years..I was pretty pleased with her but about maybe 8 months ago I started going to this new stylist. I loved the new stylist at first because I didn't hurt to get my hair relaxed. But slowly I started noticing that when they were washing my hair they would comb through ROUGHLY with a somewhat thin toothed comb when it was still wet. As clueless as I am about this stuff I know that can't be good for my hair. And then the stylist is always commenting about how I'm shedding. Call me crazy but isn't the reason I'm shedding because you're going at my tresses with a thin tooth comb while it's wet and not treating tenderly as it should be in a fragile state of being wet?

Now I wanna go back to by old stylist because as much as the relaxers hurt she did treat my hair with a level of respect and tenderness that I genuinely miss.

However, being that I'm pretty clueless is there a good chance that the old stylist was using a LYE relaxer and the new Stylist was using a No-Lye relaxer? I'm planning on going back to my old stylist should I ask her to use the No-Lye Relaxer as well? :spinning:

Also what would be a good product to deep condition my hair as it tends to get somewhat dry. Please help me...I'm very lost and this new stylist has caused me a great deal of anxiety with manner in which she was going at my hair.

I had a nightmare last night about going bald and couldn't bring myself to go to work today because of a panic attack I suffered this morning. The only thing that has calmed me down is knowing that there is a board like this out there to help me. TIA!

The proper way to detangle is to start with a wide tooth comb. If you must use a small tooth comb, do it in very small sections, during rollersetting or to take out knots and such. www.growafrohairlong.com is a great site that shows how to use the Crown and Glory Method for detangling. So you were right to be concerned if they are rough handling your hair with a tiny comb. Say something while you are there! Or do not return!

You can tell whether you are shedding, if you have white bulbs at the end of the strand. If not, then it is breakage and not shedding. Shedding is a natural process, however there are products that help curb shedding. Breakage on the other hand, is not natural. You need to assess what is going on with the health of your hair, if you have excessive breakage.

Why do your relaxers hurt? Hurt as in burn? That does not sound good at all.

Read the newbie sticky at the beginning of this forum.

Read these articles by SistaSlick:

Breakage vs. Shedding:
www.associatedcontent.com/article/286359/hair_care_shedding_or_breakage_understanding.html

Hair Breakage: Protein vs. Moisture:
www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html

Relaxer Etiquette: Does Your Stylist Have It:
www.associatedcontent.com/article/278594/a_10step_prerelaxer_checklist_for_black.html

Regimen Building for Newbies:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/288340/hair_regimen_building_for_newbies.html

She has an extensive list of articles. Check out her fotki.

There is no reason to remain clueless. This site has tons of info. Use the search function for suggestions on conditioners, treatments, shampoos, etc. The search function acts funny sometimes, but it does work. Good luck.

I agree with the others. I wouldn't suggest detangling your wet hair with a fine tooth comb. Ask them to use a wide tooth comb and be more gentle, if they are hurting you or being too rough let them know! or bring your own and ask them to use it when detangling.

As far as your relaxers hurting, do you mean burning maybe? If that's the case then the relaxer is touching your scalp too much. It may or may not be the relaxer. Does your new stylist use a different relaxer than your old one? If so, ask her what she's using. If you liked what your old stylist used, go back to it. If your current stylist is still trippin, I would let her go and go back to the old one or find another one.

There are so many great deep moisturizing conditioners on the market. But my personal fav is Dark & Lovely Dry Hair Healer and I add some sweet almond oil and honey to it.

Lady Esquire gave you some great resources to check out. Reading Sistaslick's articles are a must. They have been very helpful for me especially when I first joined this forum too. Welcome and Happy Hair Growing!

I agree with the others. I wouldn't suggest detangling your wet hair with a fine tooth comb. Ask them to use a wide tooth comb and be more gentle, if they are hurting you or being too rough let them know! or bring your own and ask them to use it when detangling.

As far as your relaxers hurting, do you mean burning maybe? If that's the case then the relaxer is touching your scalp too much. It may or may not be the relaxer. Does your new stylist use a different relaxer than your old one? If so, ask her what she's using. If you liked what your old stylist used, go back to it. If your current stylist is still trippin, I would let her go and go back to the old one or find another one.

There are so many great deep moisturizing conditioners on the market. But my personal fav is Dark & Lovely Dry Hair Healer and I add some sweet almond oil and honey to it.

Lady Esquire gave you some great resources to check out. Reading Sistaslick's articles are a must. They have been very helpful for me especially when I first joined this forum too. Welcome and Happy Hair Growing!

I did check out those links and it's A LOT of information to absorb. I am, however, grateful it is out there.

By hurt, yes I do mean burn.

I think I might just have my old stylist use the relaxer my new stylist was using. I don't believe that I will be going back to my new stylist cause I don't really care for rough manner in which she handles my hair. I've tried to express to her to treat it more gently but I get the feeling she doesn't really care.

I think my hair is begging for a deep conditioning. I haven't done that in ages. Thanks for all the help! I truly appreciate it.

Back