So it's official...I think my hair is damaged...

BrockStar

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

It still looks totally OK to the untrained eye, but the curls in some places are so much looser and I had to clip a couple of ends b/c they were straight...sigh. It's kind of like that thread written about training hair with heat except I didn't want to...I was fine...

It doesn't look bad at all...but it's def. not the same. I don't know what to do. So far I DC'ed twice and actually last night it did get better so maybe I'll do it one more time.

My friend told me it may take a couple of washes b/c with hers it does..is that true?

Thanks ya'll...and please no "I told you so responses" I'm not very happy right now

awwww baby i wouldn't say i told you so... :bighug:

have you done a protein treatment yet? i ALWAYS do a protein treatment after straightening my hair, that first wash i do. maybe that will help. and of course keep up on the DCing. :yep:

OH NO...!!:sad:
I hope your hair ends up reverting back to it's natural texture.

I've been considering straightening for a while now and this is has made me change my mind. I read in your other thread where you said that a couple of pieces still haven't reverted yet. I was hoping this wasn't going to happen...:nono:

Is the damage only to a small section?

awwww baby i wouldn't say i told you so... :hugs:

have you done a protein treatment yet? i ALWAYS do a protein treatment after straightening my hair, that first wash i do. maybe that will help. and of course keep up on the DCing. :yep:

I'll def. do that as soon as I leave work today if you think that would help

OH NO...!!:sad:
I hope your hair ends up reverting back to it's natural texture.

I've been considering straightening for a while now and this is has made me change my mind. I read in your other thread where you said that a couple of pieces still haven't reverted yet. I was hoping this wasn't going to happen...:nono:

Is the damage only to a small section?

Well it's the front, but like I said it really isn't super noticiable to the untrained eye, my curls are just a lot looser...like a lot..lol

I am sorry to hear about this. I hope it recovers.:yep:

but like you said it's not that visible to others. You just knowing it's there is going to drive you crazy. So don't focus on those looser pieces. And the bright side is atleast it's not your entire head of hair.

Brock Star,
I'm sorry this happened to your hair. Last year, I had some heat damage that I chose not to cut, in the event I wanted to straighten my hair again. I just tuck those straight ends under my headband.

Like stated before, it's not noticeable to the untrained eye, so don't sweat it:ohwell: (Well, try not to:yep:)

You look beautiful girl.

awwww baby i wouldn't say i told you so... :bighug:

Yup I agree I always do a protein treatment after I straightened and a Deep Moisturizing Conditioner, I had heat damage once, I just cut the straight pieces off which was a lot, but it was only in the front

There are some serums that I have used that stick to my hair even after a first wash. I usually have to wash with a clarifying shampoo. Protein also does help. I wouldn't clip anymore hair until trying the protein or a few mre washes. Good luck!

My hair wasn't the healthy when i first joined lhcf (i'm relaxed though). But deep conditioning has really turn my hair into the healthy state it is now. So if i were you i would keep incorporating deep conditioning into my regimen weekly. If you decide to do protein please use a light protein treatment. We don't need another problem like protein overload added.

My hair wasn't the healthy when i first joined lhcf (i'm relaxed though). But deep conditioning has really turn my hair into the healthy state it is now. So if i were you i would keep incorporating deep conditioning into my regimen weekly. If you decide to do protein please use a light protein treatment. We don't need another problem like protein overload added.

What's an example of a light protein treatment that I could use?

Wheez, are you still transitioning?

What's an example of a light protein treatment that I could use?

i don't think eggs are a harsh protein, that's what i like to use on my hair. you can whip them with olive oil so it's not as drying, supposedly this is better than mayo and is next on my list of things to try. :yep:

i don't think eggs are a harsh protein, that's what i like to use on my hair. you can whip them with olive oil so it's not as drying, supposedly this is better than mayo and is next on my list of things to try. :yep:

:lol: Girl, eggs and oil ARE mayo!! I've been plotting on making a hair specific mayo using hair oils for a minute.

:bighug: Brockstar!!! I agree with the ladies who are suggesting protein treatments and DC's - anything you can do to try to restore the integrity of the hair - I hope it recovers nicely!!

I'm sorry!

If I were you (because this happened to my roots when I first started transitioning) I would clarify then use a good (but not too harsh) protein treatment, then deep condition and wear a wash and go for a few days for your hair to "find" its curl pattern again. Sometimes scrunching and just leaving it alone helps if its just having troube reverting back.. But if its really damaged it will never go back. I used ION Effective Care Treatment as a medium/light protein.

I would not use a straightening comb again if I were you. I don't think your hair texture needs it. I only use mine on my coarse 4b edges because they can handle it. My 4a hair loosened overtime and would not revert after using one, and even got frizzier because of the damage.:nono:

Last edited:
im sorry hun :nono: hoping for your hair's recovery...my best friend did say that it may take a few washes to revert completely tho and shes been natural for 4 yrs and straightens

cheer up Brockie, you're hair will bounce back in shape. I know some naturals can tolerate heat. For others, maybe there is just a certain temp. that your hair needs or something?

Imagine if you'd let a professional do your hair (if i remember correctly you flat ironed it yourself). They probably would have fried your stuff! I know I've been fried many a time b/f but when I flat iron my own hair I don't suffer damage :ohwell:

Last edited:
Interesting, I never knew you were supposed to do a protein treatment after heat straightening. I'll have to remember that.

Brockstar, I hope your curls come back fully- although its great that it's not noticeable. I think you've received some great advice on this thread and in a little time your hair should bounce back.

cheer up Brockie, you're hair will bounce back in shape. I know some naturals can tolerate heat for others, maybe there is just a certain temp. that your hair needs or something?

Imagine if you'd let a professional do your hair (if i remember correctly you flat ironed it yourself). They probably would have fried your stuff! I know I've been fried many a time b/f but when I flat iron my own hair I don't suffer damage :ohwell:

I thought she went to a salon?

I wish I new what that magic temp was to avoid it! This is exactly why I've shied away from heat. My hair straightens with hot breath, nevermind an iron.

Yeah it was the salon....

Thanks so much for all of your help!!!

:grouphug3:
I'm going to do a protein treatment...probably acv because aphogee messed up my hair a while ago. I'll keep ya'll posted

Back