So I'm natural now with3 years of pics. Warning it's long/I talk a lot.

RosesBlack

I don't know if I've done any actual hair update posts of my own.

But I figured I could go ahead. I have transitioned without a BC or any actual conscious decision on my part. It has just kind of happened.

I believe my last texlax was last summer. I didn't do an all over texlax just my edges because I was having some problems sorting out dealing with them.

I didn't really think about it very much honestly. I have kept an eye on my hair and it's been really healthy and strong so I'm not messing with it. I did get kind of scissor happy for awhile last year and this year so I don't think I'm APL again yet. I was APL briefly but trimmed closer to SL to get rid of some raggedy ends.

My hair has some varying textures. Some coils, some s shaped waves, one part that grows kind of straight. My hair still grows uneven. I have a cowlick.

My reggie is super stupid simple but it works the best for me.

I henna when I feel like it. I use coconut oil and profectiv breakfree.

My hair prefers regular use of lighter proteins to regular hardcore protein use.

I usually prepoo overnight/for a few hours with whatever oil I have, with some cheapy con over it. I wrap my hair with a shower cap and let it sit.

I wash once a week with White Rain Tropical coconut shampoo from the dollar store or Neutrogena anti buildup shampoo.

Right now I'm using motions silk protein con and EVOO as a dc. Basically I give my hair a good coating of EVOO, put the con on and leave it until I feel like rinsing it out. Sometimes a few hours sometimes overnight.

I detagle with my knockoff Denman (BEST THING EVER). If I use combs my retention goes way down.

I bun and straighten occasionally.

Some of these are old crappy webcam photos. Also I usually take my pics after work so yes in some of them I'm looking busted with my greasy face and all.

set-72157606045136504

april07 by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

My hair in 07. Very dry, very prone to lots of breakage and shedding.

almostfullsl by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

Bone straight in 08. Not cute. That was a dry hot mess, still not healthy, fragile.

topwetfluffy by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

Wet hair in 08. See all that breakage near my widows peak?

slbaby by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

Finally towards the end of 08 got some retention. My last somewhat straight relaxer.

SLnewyears by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

First hair pic of 09. I was texlaxing by then. Trying for more retention/repair of some damaged areas.

newgrowth6mos by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

Six months post.

No pics for awhile as I got pretty sick and had a big setback. I had walking pneumonia and some other health issues and wasn't taking care of my hair for awhile.

soppingwet by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

afterwash by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

Almost a year post. It is really not as tangled as it looks. I've learned to seperate my hair by texture into sections before I detangle.

fluffy by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

How my hair looks at the end of the day when I take my bun down. I take my bun down when I get home from work and massage my scalp, moisturize, rebun and go to bed. I think this was after my last trim. I've vowed not to pick the scissors up again until at least March which is my birthday month.

I really want to thank all you ladies. For the years I've been here I've learned so much and it means a lot to me on a very personal level. Prior to coming here I had nobody to teach me how to learn to care for my hair. I would have never though my hair could again be full and lucsious. At this point I almost don't even care if I make my goal length (round lower back or so, I'm short) I'm just so happy that I can take care of my hair.

And for those of you who get discouraged. Honestly no one is worse at styling than I am. I can't braid, I can't do flat twists, I can't rollerset, I am not good at styling at all. I can barely flat iron my hair. I came to LHCF with no knowledge.

I broke my hair, made it shed etc etc. Really if I can figure this out anyone can.

One more dorky picture. This is what happens when my hair is down for more than about a half hour. It gets bigger and floofier by the hour. Also behold my natural part and awesome red tint.

greasyfacebighairs by Cranky Shannon, on Flickr

Oh wow! Such an awesome story and journey. I'm a sucker for easy regimens and it's very inspiring to read how you started off clueless and are now "at home" with your hair. Congratulations on your progress and getting to know your hair. :)

Thank you ladies. Duchesse, the color is from henna. My natural color is really dark brown. After a fresh henna my hair glows in the sun.

Congrats on your progress! :) Don't worry I am equally incapable of doing hair, its a miracle if I can part my hair straight.

Your advice is spot on, keep trying and learn your hair!

I really enjoyed your update :)

Back