So I'm going to flat iron my sister's 5 mnth post hair...tips

Kay.Dee

She hasn't had a relaxer in about 5 months, and has been wearing braids during this time.
She took them out about 2 weeks ago and got her hair flat ironed. My mom made another appointment for her today but she doesn't want to go because the lady combed through her hair like a maniac and burned her several times.
And my sis doesn't want a relaxer because she's thinking of transitioning (yay!)

So I decided to intervene and told my mom I could do her hair :perplexed. I'm scared. I just transitioned with braids and then BC'ed when I didn't have anymore money for braids. I never tried flat ironing. My mom was like :lachen:, have at it!

So any tips on how to do this?

I plan on washing and deep condtioning. Then I think I'll put in a leave in (Chi Keratin Mist) and plait her hair up tightly and sit her under the dryer. Or should I blow dry straight (I wanted to use as little direct heat as possible).

Apply Chi silk infusion and heat protectant and then flat iron tiny sections using the comb chase method.

I'm scared ya'll! I can handle messing up my own hair but not someone elses!

ETA
I think she's a "true" 4b. Her hair is cottony and soft compared to mine, which feels like steel wool if I let it.

Make sure it's a moisturising DC. I love using the "kiya fizzle" if I know I'm going to straighten, but it involves citric acid (lemon juice) and baking soda or salt so it's not for everyone.

The more moisturized her hair is the sleeker the final result. Comb the DC through to you can detangle her hair with the con.

Once rinsed and towel dried, THEN add your leave ins and heat protectant. I usually work it through my hair with a denman, b/c then I know each strand will be coated.

Pre - stretch the hair - suuuuuper important. If you don't want to blow dry you can separate her hair into 4 or more sections, making sure the roots are smooth. Then make braids or buns with the length and dry her that way. If her hair is still damp - you can further stretch/dry with a quick run through of the blow-dryer. Her hair should be pretty much detangled at this point, so it shouldn't be alot of stuggling and tugging. :(

When you flat iron, take your time. Use small sections, and the comb chase method will help get her ends flat and smooth.

For maintenance try coconut oil and wrapping or pin curling at night.

Good Luck!!

I would rollerset so that you don't have to use the flatiron on her relaxed ends. I agree with the other posters about stretching the hair as much as possible and making sure its sufficiently moisturized. Also make SURE and use a heat protectant.

She hasn't had a relaxer in about 5 months, and has been wearing braids during this time.
She took them out about 2 weeks ago and got her hair flat ironed. My mom made another appointment for her today but she doesn't want to go because the lady combed through her hair like a maniac and burned her several times.
And my sis doesn't want a relaxer because she's thinking of transitioning (yay!)

So I decided to intervene and told my mom I could do her hair :perplexed. I'm scared. I just transitioned with braids and then BC'ed when I didn't have anymore money for braids. I never tried flat ironing. My mom was like :lachen:, have at it!

So any tips on how to do this?

I plan on washing and deep condtioning. Then I think I'll put in a leave in (Chi Keratin Mist) and plait her hair up tightly and sit her under the dryer. Or should I blow dry straight (I wanted to use as little direct heat as possible).

Apply Chi silk infusion and heat protectant and then flat iron tiny sections using the comb chase method.

I'm scared ya'll! I can handle messing up my own hair but not someone elses!

ETA
I think she's a "true" 4b. Her hair is cottony and soft compared to mine, which feels like steel wool if I let it.

Why not apply the Chi Silk, comb through smooth, then place her under the hood dryer then flat iron? It might help to retain more moisture.

Thanks guys! She Dcing now I'll try the Chi Silk infusion on wet hair after I rinse it out.

I'll try to stretch it as much as possible before I flat iron. I also have some fantasia heat protectant that I'm going to use.

Thanks guys it came out pretty good. The rollersetting/flexirod and Chi Silk infusion on wet hair helped a lot.
DSC00322-vi.jpg

her "newgrowth"

DSC00343-vi.jpg

DSC00344-vi.jpg

It got pretty straight. I used flexirods and that made the flat ironing so much easier. I didn't even use the comb to chase it.
My mom put me in charge of my sister hair officialy since I'm the one whoe planted this "natural seed" in her head.
http://images48.fotki.com/v1407/photos/1/1130869/7099072/DSC00321-vi.jpg

Back