So I went and got kinky twists for the first time.

shinyblackhair

I LOVE them, I think I look sooo cute! HOWEVER, there is a MAJOR problem: you can see the ends of my hair! She couldn't get my hair to blend with the kinky hair. She asked me if I recently cut my hair, which I haven't done since my BC back in October. She was saying my hair was too blunt, like if I just had it cut! I just don't get it. I washed, blow dried and flat ironed my hair thinking it would be easier for her to do the twists as opposed to leaving it curly...she was a little frustrated and tried her best, but on almost every twist you can seem my little straight ends poking out. :nono: Is there anything I can do about this? I really love the look and now I'm out $80 + the cost of hair, and I really was planning on having these last a good two months.

Also, I noticed when she was done she just left the twists as is. She didn't do the whole dipping in hot water like I see the ladies do on YT. Is that step crucial? The lady told me next time to just get braids. I don't think she's the most comfortable doing twists and prefers braiding which I now realized...she is a sweet Ghanian lady and I didn't want to get mad at her, because I've never had twists before and I'm not sure what to expect. However, over all I like the look, but I don't like that you can see my hair half-way through the braid.

Any advice?

Pics?

I used to get kinky twists all the time and I never dipped em in hot water. Is your hAir relaxed or natural?

Edit: I see you're natural. Probably is you spritz some water all over your hair to dampen it, that might make your straightened hair revert to curly. Them you won't see straight hair sticking out.

Last edited:
Next time don't flatiron the hair just blowdry. If you want ends to be curly just use permrods and dip in hot water for a couple of seconds and let set for a minute or two and just remove them.

Pics?

I used to get kinky twists all the time and I never dipped em in hot water. Is your hAir relaxed or natural?

Edit: I see you're natural. Probably is you spritz some water all over your hair to dampen it, that might make your straightened hair revert to curly. Them you won't see straight hair sticking out.

^^ I agree.. try the above methd w/water.. hopefully ur ends will curl/mesh

I get what your saying about your ends showing through your braids. but I dont really know anything that could be done about it.. I want to get kinky twist but i fear that my ends would stick out because of my hair being short and natural. you can maybe try some gel or some beeswax and then tie it down overnight.. that may work but I dont know.

Pics?

Thanks. I was thinking about spritzing with water too so the end would curl up.

Thanks everyone who chimed in. Next time I won't flat iron for sure. I'm not sure why my end are so razor sharp though, I haven't even had a trim...Maybe my flat iron was too hot...

The only way she could get those blunt ends to blend would be to do sengalese twists. You twist while twisting. However, it's too late for that so I would suggest rodding your ends and wetting your hair and moisturizing it real good. This way your ends will curl just like the curly ends of the twists. I like that look.

Back