So I want to get a permanent color...

Ms. Plain Jane

But I am nervous.

The owner of the Dominican salon that I go to for relaxers and trims told me that I would need a "treatment" every week to keep my hair from being over processed and breaking. She said that I would need to use something along the lines of Nexxus Emergencee every week.

I think that's a bit much every week, but then again, she is the licensed stylist, not me.

Has anyone put a permanent color in their hair and found it necessary to use a hardcore protein treatment weekly?

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. :grin:

P.S.- She told me that how oftenI would need to use a hardcore protein would depend on the color that I get. My natural color is a combination of not-so-dark to dark browns (thanks mom). I was thinking of a chestnut blonde color...

IDK about doing a hardcore protein treatment every week but you should at least DC every week. The stylist is probably right though. What she said makes sense. With the color and a relaxer your hair would be double processed.

Have you ever considered a cellophane rinse like Color Showers (which I love)? This will change the color in a very healthy way as it does not have alcohol, peroxide, or ammonia. Unless your hair is extremely healthy, it may not be able to withstand the dryness of two chemical processes (relaxer + color) and you might suffer a set-back. Some people's hair texture is strong enough to withstand these double processes but if you know your hair to be very delicate/tempermental, you might want to explore safer options.

In the case that you do get a color...you have to balance the protein treatments with the moisturizing treatments. You might not need protein each week. It will depend on the feeling of your hair.

By the way, hair stylists are licensed in STYLING hair and that does not make them experts on GROWING or MAINTAINING HEALTHY hair...so I wouldn't really give her advice that much importance.

Good luck, LHH

Be very careful. I used to permanently dye my hair and it does require treatments to keep it somewhat healthy. I don't know about weekly protein treatments, but it does require frequent deep conditioning.

But I am nervous.

The owner of the Dominican salon that I go to for relaxers and trims told me that I would need a "treatment" every week to keep my hair from being over processed and breaking. She said that I would need to use something along the lines of Nexxus Emergencee every week.

I think that's a bit much every week, but then again, she is the licensed stylist, not me.

Has anyone put a permanent color in their hair and found it necessary to use a hardcore protein treatment weekly?

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. :grin:

P.S.- She told me that how oftenI would need to use a hardcore protein would depend on the color that I get. My natural color is a combination of not-so-dark to dark browns (thanks mom). I was thinking of a chestnut blonde color...

That is true. The lighter you go from your natural color, the more protein gets stripped and broken down in your hair. You would probably need strong protein once a week for like 3 weeks or so and then you would have to Deep condition without fail every week, preferable twice a week. Keep in mind before you decide what you do that even if the color process goes and well and looks nice, you will be battling extra hard to maintain your hair. Your hair will be more fragile so things like manipulation damage, relaxer runoff damage, heat damage etc.... will be things that you will have to work even harder to combat. It is not impossible(some here have done it) but it does take an extra level of discipline to maintain relaxed and color treated hair. Make sure you are fully aware of what you are getting into before you go for it.Lighter hair colors also will make your hair look drier so maintaining shine and luster will require more work. If you like golden colors why not try a gold rinse which will give you golden tints that will glisten in the sun. You could also try getting a couple highlights and just lighten your hair ONE shade. Then you can rinse your hair with more golden colors to give you more of the look you like without the full on permanent onslought of damage. The rinse will show up more on the highlighted sections while giving your overall hair shine.

IDK about doing a hardcore protein treatment every week but you should at least DC every week. The stylist is probably right though. What she said makes sense. With the color and a relaxer your hair would be double processed.

ITA. I think she's probably right. Double processing can be a bit risky.

im glad you posted this. I once died my relaxed hair a permanent color but I didnt know how to take care of it and after trims and breakage all the color is gone. Im not tryna hijack the thread but I am relaxed also and I was thinking about highlighting my hair with textures and tones and applying a rinse on my whole head.

Have you ever considered a cellophane rinse like Color Showers (which I love)? This will change the color in a very healthy way as it does not have alcohol, peroxide, or ammonia. Unless your hair is extremely healthy, it may not be able to withstand the dryness of two chemical processes (relaxer + color) and you might suffer a set-back. Some people's hair texture is strong enough to withstand these double processes but if you know your hair to be very delicate/tempermental, you might want to explore safer options.

In the case that you do get a color...you have to balance the protein treatments with the moisturizing treatments. You might not need protein each week. It will depend on the feeling of your hair.

By the way, hair stylists are licensed in STYLING hair and that does not make them experts on GROWING or MAINTAINING HEALTHY hair...so I wouldn't really give her advice that much importance.

Good luck, LHH

The bolded is sooo true!

Is your hair jet black? What color cellophane rinse did you use? How well did it work? Did it get all over your pillow at night? What about the collars of you shirt?

TIA!

Be very careful. I used to permanently dye my hair and it does require treatments to keep it somewhat healthy. I don't know about weekly protein treatments, but it does require frequent deep conditioning.

Did you notice any negative effects? How different was your regimen with the permanent color from your regimen before the permanent color?

Good luck, LHH
The bolded is merely opinion, not fact. Just FYI from someone who is a licensed cosmetologist and KNOWS what it means to be licensed, particularly when it comes to the understanding and usage of CHEMICALS. Thank you.

Last edited:
The bolded is merely opinion, not fact. Just FYI from someone who is a licensed cosmetologist and KNOWS what it means to be licensed, particularly when it comes to the understanding and usage of CHEMICALS. Thank you.

The bolded is merely opinion, not fact.

Not every licensed comsetologist knows what is means to be licensed, particulary when it comes to the understanding and usage of CHEMICALS. If they did, we wouldn't need LHCF, nor would so many of us feel the need to rant about our stylists who sometimes suck, lol.

I remember seeing posts about other LHCFers soliciting your services, so I believe that you are good at what you do. She wasn't attacking your profession, just those who kinda suck at it.

Let's keep this thread drama free, but full of helpful info. What are your recommendations in regards to my original post?

THANKS!
:love2::love2::hug3::love2::love2:

Last edited:
I had honey blonde chunks from '99-'02 (my natural color is a light/med/sandy brown) and it eventually led to more and more chunking to the point that the whole top of my head was blonde. I will say blonde is most def high maintenance and it's very drying so moisture is an absolute must, but so is protein. I'd alternate weeks with protein and moisture DCs. Low/no heat is a must if you wish to retain any type of length! At one point (cuz I didn't know better) I was curling my layers EVERY day or flipping it up in the back w/the flat iron. My hair got damaged and had to be chopped to chin length! As a result, I've used cellophanes ever since. While blonde is pretty on SOME of us(don't get me started on this subject:wallbash:), it's definitely a lot of work to maintain! Sounds like you're already working on making an informed decision. Best of luck to you!

I think that WEEKLY protein treatments is excessive. Definetly weekly high quality deep conditioning treatments. I would only do protein if my hair was shedding excessively..

I would be careful about color though. Some of the black women that I know who have color almost all regret it, ESPECIALLY if you have a relaxer. Thats making already dry hair even dryer. And it depends on how light you go. If you go anywhere past 3-4 levels you are going to get alot of breakage.

I wanted to add that I am a cosmetologist and we are NOT trained to ONLY style hair, I can tell you right now that I can only do basic styling roudbrush, designer rollerset etc but styling isn't my thing; I prefer chemical services or strand by strand extensions. During your training you get practical as well as theory. So basically we do have to know about hair and how the tools that we use (chemicals, colors comb etc) affect the hair. At the very least when it comes time to take the stateboard the cosmetologist will have to know whatever there is to know about hair (nails and skin in some states like mine va) in order to get licensing. Some may remember afterwards and some may not. But bottom line is that they must know atleast by the time they need to take their exam.

So basically what I know from school is TOO MUCH hard core protein will cause the hair to break instead of stopping it. You have to be able to analyze the hair in order to make a call like that. Like I said in my own personal opinion using protein on hair frequently that doesn't need it will end up doing more harm than good.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it if I were you. I know many professionals who will color natural hair but will not color relaxed hair. Too risky IMHO.

I think that WEEKLY protein treatments is excessive. Definetly weekly high quality deep conditioning treatments. I would only do protein if my hair was shedding excessively..

I would be careful about color though. Some of the black women that I know who have color almost all regret it, ESPECIALLY if you have a relaxer. Thats making already dry hair even dryer. And it depends on how light you go. If you go anywhere past 3-4 levels you are going to get alot of breakage.

I wanted to add that I am a cosmetologist and we are NOT trained to ONLY style hair, I can tell you right now that I can only do basic styling roudbrush, designer rollerset etc but styling isn't my thing; I prefer chemical services or strand by strand extensions. During your training you get practical as well as theory. So basically we do have to know about hair and how the tools that we use (chemicals, colors comb etc) affect the hair. At the very least when it comes time to take the stateboard the cosmetologist will have to know whatever there is to know about hair (nails and skin in some states like mine va) in order to get licensing. Some may remember afterwards and some may not. But bottom line is that they must know atleast by the time they need to take their exam.

So basically what I know from school is TOO MUCH hard core protein will cause the hair to break instead of stopping it. You have to be able to analyze the hair in order to make a call like that. Like I said in my own personal opinion using protein on hair frequently that doesn't need it will end up doing more harm than good.

Thanks! If I do get a permanent color, I'll pay close attention to what my hair seems like it needs.

So basically what I know from school is TOO MUCH hard core protein will cause the hair to break instead of stopping it.
You have to be able to analyze the hair in order to make a call like that. Like I said in my own personal opinion using protein on hair frequently that doesn't need it will end up doing more harm than good.

this was the case with me. i was doing the hardcore aphogee every 2 weeks, and wondered why my hair kept breaking. i didnt even think about moisture.

I had honey blonde chunks from '99-'02 (my natural color is a light/med/sandy brown) and it eventually led to more and more chunking to the point that the whole top of my head was blonde. I will say blonde is most def high maintenance and it's very drying so moisture is an absolute must, but so is protein. I'd alternate weeks with protein and moisture DCs. Low/no heat is a must if you wish to retain any type of length! At one point (cuz I didn't know better) I was curling my layers EVERY day or flipping it up in the back w/the flat iron. My hair got damaged and had to be chopped to chin length! As a result, I've used cellophanes ever since. While blonde is pretty on SOME of us(don't get me started on this subject:wallbash:), it's definitely a lot of work to maintain! Sounds like you're already working on making an informed decision. Best of luck to you!

What are chunks?

How does the cellophane make your hair look? How intense is the color? Do you have pics?

And the chestnut blonde, is not that blonde IMO. I'm also looking into sunkissed brown...

072508.jpg
<---- Chestnut blonde

336403.jpg
<--- Sunkissed brown

Last edited:
What are chunks?

How does the cellophane make your hair look? How intense is the color? Do you have pics?

And the chestnut blonde, is not that blonde IMO. I'm also looking into sunkissed brown...

072508.jpg
<---- Chestnut blonde

336403.jpg
<--- Sunkissed brown

Chunks are thicker sections of colored hair opposed to smaller pieces i.e. highlights. I used to use Clairol Textures & Tones in Lightest Blonde which was very light, I think the lightest in their series. My hair is cellophane colored in all of my Fotki pics. It's a semi-permanent color so the depth/intesity of color depends on how light or dark your actual hair is before coloring. BTW, I like both of the colors you're considering.

Back