So I had a major scare last night when I washed...

RabiaElaine

So as you know I've become a weaving queen! Anyway I reweaved about 3 weeks ago (it was a clip in). I wash while I'm in a weave (sew-in, clip-in). So last night I decided I was going to take out my cornrows and wash/condition and redo them to clip the weave back in. Well normally when I unbraid my hair I comb out my hair so all the shed hairs come out. I usually end up with a big ball of hair by the time I'm done pulling out the braids.

Well last night I just decided to unbraid the cornrows (only 5) and just jump in the shower and let the water comb the hair out. Well don't you know I saw tons of long hairs were coming out:eek: . I was sooooooooo scared it just kept coming out :eek: :eek: . I called my sister in to look at all the hair I placed on the bath tub, when I saw her face:eek: I knew it was bad.

Anyway by the time I washed and conditioned only a few hairs were coming out. Anyway by time I got out of the shower the hairs had dried some and I balled them up, when my sister came back and looked at the ball she was like that's not that much hair, it was probably just shed hair since my hair hadn't been combed in 3 weeks, plus I didn't give the shed hairs a chance to come out when I unbraided the cornrows. So I felt better, but I wasn't totally convinced so I saved the ball and decided I wanted to see what it looked like dry in the morning.

So this morning I looked at it and it was dry and looked like way less hair than before :lachen: :lachen: . You'd think with all my hair knowledge I would have realized that 1) I hadn't combed my hair for 3 weeks and didn't comb it out when I took out the braids so there were going to be hundreds of shed hairs that hadn't had a chance to come out 2) My hair is now the longest it's ever been, so my shed hair is going to look like a lot more because the strands are longer 3)Plus I now texlax so my hairs look thicker and hence a ball of my shed hair is going to look bigger.

Anyway all is good my hair isn't falling out as I believed last night. Is about 1.5x the sized of a quarter which isn't that bad.

Just thought I'd share...you ladies, plus my sister are the only people that understand how freaked out I was and why.

My heart skipped a beat when I say the title to this thread Rabia!! Thank goodness everything worked out. Your hair is so lovely:grin:

I TOTALLY understand. I got my first weave last year and I kept it in for 2 months. When I took the braids out and the hair kept coming out in my hands and in the shower I was SO FREAKED out...I was surprised I had any hair left at all, much less a thick head of hair. So after checking for bald spots I realized that I hadn't shedded any hair in 2 months and that was what is to be expected.

I usually keep my weave in 2 months or a little over 2 months and it STILL freaks me out shedding all that hair at once!

Sometimes what you see frightens you before you have a chance to analyze things. Right, if your hair have not been combed in 3 weeks you're going to get alot shedding and if your hair is long it's going to be long strands which will really frighten you because it actually looks worst than what it really is. I'm glad that all is well because we can't have the head of the hide hair challenges to get a setback:nono:...we're on a mission..grow girl grow:) see ya at apl in april:)

I had that happen to be after I removed my braids in 3 weeks. SO MUCH HAIR in my hands. All shedding. i was scared, too.

I think it is hard to see that all at one time. After you do your hair, you see that it is not all that bad, though.

I know how you felt!!!

GUUURL you almost had me....I was really worried because I may following your regimen for the summer...I'm glad you shared what happened to you so LHCF ladies realize that as our hair gets longer the shedded hairs will look like more and that when it dries you can see the "actual" amount that shedded

Phew!! I too felt panicked when I saw the title!

Glad all is well in weave-it land!! Grow gurl!!

GoingNatural said:
I TOTALLY understand. I got my first weave last year and I kept it in for 2 months. When I took the braids out and the hair kept coming out in my hands and in the shower I was SO FREAKED out...I was surprised I had any hair left at all, much less a thick head of hair. So after checking for bald spots I realized that I hadn't shedded any hair in 2 months and that was what is to be expected.

I usually keep my weave in 2 months or a little over 2 months and it STILL freaks me out shedding all that hair at once!

See you think I would have learned this by now. I've been weaving since June! But like I said I normally comb it out beforehand, so when I normally go in the shower I get a normal amount of hair in the comb. I swore I was going bald. I was thinking maybe when I relaxed over a month ago that some relaxer was left in despite me washing my hair with neautralizing shampoo 10 times before moving on from the neautralizing process. Then I thought that didn't make any sense since I had washed my hair 2 times after that and before putting in the weave. I was a mess last night!

Praise Jesus!

VWVixxen said:
Phew!! I too felt panicked when I saw the title!

Glad all is well in weave-it land!! Grow gurl!!

Lol! Yes all is well thank goodness!!!!!!! I almost picked up the neautralizing shampoo last night to make sure it wasn't perm that was left in my head from over a month ago, but that didn't make any sense whatsoever so I left it alone.

I'm so glad and will be reweaving tonight (clip in though)!!!!!!

tsmith said:
Sometimes what you see frightens you before you have a chance to analyze things. Right, if your hair have not been combed in 3 weeks you're going to get alot shedding and if your hair is long it's going to be long strands which will really frighten you because it actually looks worst than what it really is. I'm glad that all is well because we can't have the head of the hide hair challenges to get a setback:nono:...we're on a mission..grow girl grow:) see ya at apl in april:)

So so true. I was on the phone with my fiance while I was in the shower and he was listening to me freak out. And would you believe he starts pushing me over the edge telling me "yeah, I think you're going bald!". He was joking around while I was having a heart attack watching what looked like clumps coming out!! Men!!!!!!

Thanks for the support ladies! I'm so glad I have my girls to vent this stuff to, because only you guys (plus my sis) understands me and my relationship with my crowning glory.

RabiaElaine said:
So so true. I was on the phone with my fiance while I was in the shower and he was listening to me freak out. And would you believe he starts pushing me over the edge telling me "yeah, I think you're going bald!". He was joking around while I was having a heart attack watching what looked like clumps coming out!! Men!!!!!!

I didn't know you were engaged. :)

RabiaElaine said:

Yah, men are a HAM...they do stuff like that because they know that is going to have us really go all out...I bet he was snickering to himself cause he was getting you excited...they love to fluff our feathers a little..it keeps them going:)

Well, I certainly learned something from your post.......seems like wet shed hair looks worse than dry shed hair??? Do you think?

RabiaElaine said:
So as you know I've become a weaving queen! Anyway I reweaved about 3 weeks ago (it was a clip in). I wash while I'm in a weave (sew-in, clip-in). So last night I decided I was going to take out my cornrows and wash/condition and redo them to clip the weave back in. Well normally when I unbraid my hair I comb out my hair so all the shed hairs come out. I usually end up with a big ball of hair by the time I'm done pulling out the braids.

Well last night I just decided to unbraid the cornrows (only 5) and just jump in the shower and let the water comb the hair out. Well don't you know I saw tons of long hairs were coming out:eek: . I was sooooooooo scared it just kept coming out :eek: :eek: . I called my sister in to look at all the hair I placed on the bath tub, when I saw her face:eek: I knew it was bad.

Anyway by the time I washed and conditioned only a few hairs were coming out. Anyway by time I got out of the shower the hairs had dried some and I balled them up, when my sister came back and looked at the ball she was like that's not that much hair, it was probably just shed hair since my hair hadn't been combed in 3 weeks, plus I didn't give the shed hairs a chance to come out when I unbraided the cornrows. So I felt better, but I wasn't totally convinced so I saved the ball and decided I wanted to see what it looked like dry in the morning.

So this morning I looked at it and it was dry and looked like way less hair than before :lachen: :lachen: . You'd think with all my hair knowledge I would have realized that 1) I hadn't combed my hair for 3 weeks and didn't comb it out when I took out the braids so there were going to be hundreds of shed hairs that hadn't had a chance to come out 2) My hair is now the longest it's ever been, so my shed hair is going to look like a lot more because the strands are longer 3)Plus I now texlax so my hairs look thicker and hence a ball of my shed hair is going to look bigger.

Anyway all is good my hair isn't falling out as I believed last night. Is about 1.5x the sized of a quarter which isn't that bad.

Just thought I'd share...you ladies, plus my sister are the only people that understand how freaked out I was and why.

Nah, Uh. I am officially calling you out! You're hair has grown so much. It looks Superb. Great Job!

nycutiepie said:
Well, I certainly learned something from your post.......seems like wet shed hair looks worse than dry shed hair??? Do you think?

R.E. can answer you, but for me, it is not that it's wet. It is the amount!! I take my braids out by "washing" them out with CON green. They just slip off. I hadn't done this in over a year so i forgot what it look like to see all that shedding at one time.

After the braids were removed and I started washing my own hair. :eek: So many long hairs with the bulb at the end where on my hands and it continued even after I was done as I was applying my leave in. I was terrified.

Then it stopped. I felt just like R.E. and was so scared.

nycutiepie said:

O yes!!!!!!!!! I guess because it's just slipping out so easily it looks like chunks of hair are coming out and the water is pushing them out so it was coming out so fast. As opposed to me going with my comb section by section.

HoneyDew said:
R.E. can answer you, but for me, it is not that it's wet. It is the amount!! I take my braids out by "washing" them out with CON green. They just slip off. I hadn't done this in over a year so i forgot what it look like to see all that shedding at one time.

After the braids were removed and I started washing my own hair. :eek: So many long hairs with the bulb at the end where on my hands and it continued even after I was done as I was applying my leave in. I was terrified.

Then it stopped. I felt just like R.E. and was so scared.

I agree it's the amount coming out at one time. The mass of hair looked bigger too for me when it was wet than when it was dry too.

Oh yeah, I can feel your pain and anxiety. As a natural head ( and heavy shedder), when I wash my hair it can make me feel like I'm in the middle of a horror movie. I've learned that it is quite seasonal for me, so now I have myself trained to think about the season before I panic.... but dang, it can be unnerving for a minute.:eek:

I'm so glad that all is well with your hair. HHG

Back