So I bought a hair steamer. Now what???

taz007

I just ordered a hair steamer and it will arrive on Monday. How do I use it?

Do I steam my hair sans a plastic cap with moisturizing deep conditioners? What about protein conditioners?

How often is everyone steaming? What about deep conditioning with the Pibbs? Do you alternate?

I know I have a lot of questions. Thank you in advance.

I've only used my steamer twice. Because I'm too lazy to go to the garage to go get it. But when I have used it, the first time was a hot oil treatment with lavender and rosemary oils and the second time was with a DC I can't remember which one. You should not use a plastic cap, your hair won't get the steam. Also the Pibbs still gets used often if not for DCs then for drying my hair while I'm flattening it with a scarf.

Thank you for your replies! Do you use it for both moisturizing and protein treatments?

Oh, and how easy is it to clean?

Last edited:
I need this in my life! I think I might take my income tax and buy one.

I won't tell my DH of course until it gets here.:look:

I've only used my steamer twice. Because I'm too lazy to go to the garage to go get it. But when I have used it, the first time was a hot oil treatment with lavender and rosemary oils and the second time was with a DC I can't remember which one. You should not use a plastic cap, your hair won't get the steam. Also the Pibbs still gets used often if not for DCs then for drying my hair while I'm flattening it with a scarf.

You can actually wear a plastic cap, your hair will still get the benefits. My hair always feels noticeably different after a steam treatment thus the steam is able to penetrate the hair. I wear one to at least stop all the water running down my face. Although I might give it a try without and see how I find it; the water dripping is annoying though...

I use mine at least once a week, and I use it for both moisture and protein treatments. It's very good for hot oil treatments also.

Last edited:
You can actually wear a plastic cap, your hair will still get the benefits. My hair always feels noticeably different after a steam treatment thus the steam is able to penetrate the hair. I wear one to at least stop all the water running down my face. Although I might give it a try without and see how I find it; the water dripping is annoying though...

I use mine at least once a week, and I use it for both moisture and protein treatments. It's very good for hot oil treatments also.

Do you have a water catcher cup at the bottom. Mine does, have you thought about using those cotton coil things like they use for curly perms? You know put that around your head and it should catch the excess water drips. Also you can use a cheap headband and you can wash that again and again.

I just ordered a hair steamer and it will arrive on Monday. How do I use it?

Do I steam my hair sans a plastic cap with moisturizing deep conditioners? What about protein conditioners?

How often is everyone steaming? What about deep conditioning with the Pibbs? Do you alternate?

I know I have a lot of questions. Thank you in advance.

I don't use a plastic cap either. I use a terry headband from Sally's for drips and to protect my ears and forehead from the heat.

I knew you could use a steamer for color but I also just found out that you can use it for Henna treatments also.

I'd love to have a steam buddy if anyone needs one.

Haven't used mine in awhile. Pulling it back out today

Do you have a water catcher cup at the bottom. Mine does, have you thought about using those cotton coil things like they use for curly perms? You know put that around your head and it should catch the excess water drips. Also you can use a cheap headband and you can wash that again and again.

Yeah, my stylist does this, I'll give that a try. Cause the hot water in the face isn't funny! :eek:

I don't use a plastic cap either. I use a terry headband from Sally's for drips and to protect my ears and forehead from the heat.

I knew you could use a steamer for color but I also just found out that you can use it for Henna treatments also.

Oh? Have you tried it? If so, how long do you sit under the steamer with henna in your hair?

I will try to steam with a henna and indigo treatment this Wednesday. I will post an update.

Hey partner!! Let the steamin' begin!!!:grin:

It's on! Let's do it.

I just steamed today and it really helped my dryness. I had forgotten how great steaming was. I used the caramel recipe (Thanks Lucky's Mom). My hair feels alot better.

Terry headband, great idea :up:

I just came back from Sallys and bought some cotton rolls to place around my edges so that when I do the henna/indigo/steam treatment on Wednesday, it will not drip all over my face.

Oh, I cannot wait to start steamin'. Fedex betta not be late! :sekret:

I have the same one that the OP has. It was delivered on Sat. but I got my braids on Fri. Can I use it with braids or will it burn my scalp cause the braids are so fresh?

i have the same steamer as the OP but it didnt come with the cup...im calling them today:(

Back