So far....not happy...

Cayenne0622

Guys - I am in desperate need of a good moisturizer. I keep researching ingredients and everything sounds good but I still don't feel like I'm getting the moisturized effects I should be getting. I've been experimenting with Africa's Best Organic Olive Oil. It has really, really good ingredients and the first one is water. But I don't feel moisturized. I've been wearing my hair pulled back so I've been putting the moisturizer on morning and night and sleeping with my satin scarf and I even sleep on a satin pillow case. When I wake up in the morning my hair feels like I had a setting lotion on it over night. Its not manageable and I feel like it causing breakage as I try to style. I just don't get it. Here are some of the ingredients. I didn't include the stuff that I know is good like the olive oil, etc. I had to look the definitions up on these and they sound fine. Any clues? Any suggestions? Relaxed 4a/b hair here. P.S. I also have NTM and Elasta QP Oil Recovery. I haven't used my Elasta in a while but I think I'm going back to it because I remember being pretty satisfied with using it but could only use it at night.

I think all of these thickeners may be the culprit. But I don't know.

Propylene Glycol: Combination of glycerin and water, an organic humectant similar to Butylene Glycol used in cosmetics. Clear, colorless liquids that are among the most common moisture-carrying vehicles in skin care. It delivers superb permeation through the skin and excellent humectant properties (softens and moisturizes the skin).

Polyquaternium 37: Emulsifier

[FONT=Times New (W1)]Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate [/FONT]Dicaprylate: Emulsifier (a thickening agent that helps bind different ingredients together).

Dicaprate: Emulsifier (a thickening agent that helps bind different ingredients together).

PPG-1: Emulsifier

Trideceth-6: Emulsifier (thickening agent).

Dicetyldimonium Chloride: A quaternary ammonium salt. Used often as a conditioning agent, compatible with surfactants and often used in shampoos.

Oat Protein: This protein has moisture-binding properties that are easily absorbed by the skin and hair. It gives hair improved body and greater elasticity. Go to the Other Supplements Dictionary and look up Oat

Phenyl Trimethicone: Emollient, moisturizer. Water resistant silicone, adds shine and flexibility.
DMDM Hydantoin: Preservative, antimicrobial to fight bacteria

. . . maybe its this ingredient in the Africa's Best? :scratchch

Phenyl Trimethicone: Emollient, moisturizer. Water resistant silicone, adds shine and flexibility.

I'm trying to figure out how it can be a moisturizer AND be water resistant AND be a silicone at the same time? :lol: Water= moisture, so if its water resistant . . . it can't moisturize. :look: You may be sensitive to cones, too. A non water soluble silicone ingredient would coat your hair and require a strong sulfate shampoo to thoroughly remove-- not exactly what I'd call moisturizing. This ingredient builds up on your hair each time you use this product. The closer to the top of the list it is, the worse off you'll be.

Also, though the protein it contains says its has moisturizing properties-- sometimes even the light weight proteins can harden you up w/ the right concentrations because they are still structural by nature. I know its frustrating but keep experimenting with your moisturizers. You'll probably run into some duds, but when you find the one-- you'll know it. And even then, the ingredients may not be "the best" every single time . . . but something about it will let you know its a keeper.

eta: and "adds shine" is usually the cute code word for "sits on the outside of the shaft and coats" :lachen

Last edited:
Hi use ORS Olive oil and I get really good results. It gives great moisture and softness to my hair. I hope this works for you.

Sistaslick said:
. . . maybe its this ingredient in the Africa's Best? :scratchch

I'm trying to figure out how it can be a moisturizer AND be water resistant AND be a silicone at the same time? :lol: Water= moisture, so if its water resistant . . . it can't moisturize. :look: You may be sensitive to cones, too. A non water soluble silicone ingredient would coat your hair and require a strong sulfate shampoo to thoroughly remove-- not exactly what I'd call moisturizing. This ingredient builds up on your hair each time you use this product. The closer to the top of the list it is, the worse off you'll be.

Also, though the protein it contains says its has moisturizing properties-- sometimes even the light weight proteins can harden you up w/ the right concentrations because they are still structural by nature. I know its frustrating but keep experimenting with your moisturizers. You'll probably run into some duds, but when you find the one-- you'll know it. And even then, the ingredients may not be "the best" every single time . . . but something about it will let you know its a keeper.

eta: and "adds shine" is usually the cute code word for "sits on the outside of the shaft and coats" :lachen

Thanks lady. I hear what you are saying. There are so many out there and I just don't know what to try. I could spend a whole year testing out every moisturizer and lose my hair in the meantime. I usually don't have breakage so this hurts big time! Appreciate the tips. They are always right on time.

tetbelle said:
Hi use ORS Olive oil and I get really good results. It gives great moisture and softness to my hair. I hope this works for you.

Thanks. I may check it out. You know what? I think I had this stuff and gave it away because it had mineral oil or something in it. Hmmm. But I don't remember not liking it. Crazy. lol Thanks for the tip.

Cayenne0622 said:
Thanks lady. I hear what you are saying. There are so many out there and I just don't know what to try. I could spend a whole year testing out every moisturizer and lose my hair in the meantime. I usually don't have breakage so this hurts big time! Appreciate the tips. They are always right on time.

I hear ya :lol: Tet is right, ORS olive oil is a wonderful moisturizer! My staple. And they have a new mineral oil free one on the market as well. :yep: Other good ones you may like:

ORS carrot oil, Luster's S-Curl, Profectiv Break Free (light consistency) and Mega Growth (thick,butter like)--- and Cantu Shea Butter Break Cure (thick) and Cantu's Grow Strong (thick, butter like). Salerm 21 leave in makes a good moisturizer as well.

Hey Tet :wave: Loving the hair in the siggy girl!!!

Thanks!! I'm off to Sally's again. At least I'll able to return it if I don't like it. I think I'm going to donate my Africa's best to Good Will. Its not a bad hair product, its just not right for me. I do like the Africa's Best oil products I bought..

What I have been doing which is working well for me is after washing my hair I apply my leave in conditioner I am currently using NTM's Silk touch leave in then I pull my hair back and I apply the ORS Olive oil, I put alot on the ends and then I apply the Elasta QC Mango butter to hold my hair in place and also it adds moisture and softness to my hair. Then I have been putting NTM's serum on top. Thanks to all the tips from the ladies here those are my bun staples. My hair airdries nice, straight and soft with those products and that method.

NTM: Neutrogena Triple Moisture

P.S. Hi Sis!

Don't know if you're interested in this, but I've been sleeping in a plastic cap. That has truly been doing wonders for my hair. I'll spray a bit of moisturizer and put the cap on, or if it already feels moisturized, I'll just put the cap on like that. I wake up with really soft, moisturized hair.

Thanks @ Tet for that regimen. I'm going to try it when I shampoo tomorrow. I CANNOT WAIT TO GET ALL OF THIS PRODUCT OFF OF MY HAIR....CLARIFY HERE I COME!!

Tiff - that actually sounds like a good idea. I keep wanting to laugh thinking back on the Jheri Curl days with those plastic bags. Thanks. I may end up giving it a try.

I've recently started using Wave Nouveau moisturizing spay and I love it! It is much lighter than Sta-Sof-Fro and S-Curl and the smell isn't overwhelming like the other two either.

I also like to use coconut oil every other day or so in addition to the spray.

Hi - I'll glad I tripped up on this thread because I was about to start one myself. I figured out my culprit though. It was Infusium23 (:mad:-grrrrr). It gets a BIG :down: !! I was using it to wrap my hair with at night. Why the heck did I do that?!?!? :wallbash: The last few days I've experienced the worst breakage I've ever had, even before joining LHCF. It's especially bad because I'm fighting with new growth too! (:yay:- yay for the new growth!!) I can't even use my fingers without something falling from my head. I just want to cry. :cry3: It's dry to the core, dull-dull-dull, flies-a-way, and tangles something awful!:whyme:Here I was thinking I was doing something good and in one fell swoop I underminded all my hard work! :wallbash:

Now, I'm in recovery mode:(. I'm doing con-washes with moisturizing Dove (works great for me because of my fine hair- doesn't weigh it down, but leaves my hair really soft :)). I'm just going to do that every other day and keep DC with ORS Replish Pak twice a week for the next two weeks. Then, hopefully, I can reduce the number of con-washes and add MNT poo&con once a week back into my routine (I just love this stuff - :D). I just got some Wojee creme for daily moisturizing, so I'll give that a shot to get some moisture back in fast.

I still want a light weight leave in for wrapping. I use to use Dove's Sheer Moisture mist, but it's too light. It's better for during the day touchups. I may just take my Dove conditioner, water it down and add a little oil.

BTW- I'm looking for a better DC, too. ORS is okay, but I think there's probably something a little better out there for DC'ing. Any suggestions would be great - :)

Back